30 Day Book Challenge List ~ Thank you frankie!

Chrissy

I wanted to say Thank You to frankie for sharing the 30 Day list with us. For those who haven't seen it, it's a daily question-of-sorts;

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Day 03 – Your favourite series

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

Day 07 – Most underrated book

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

Day 11 – A book you hated

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

Day 13 – Your favourite writer

Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer

Day 15 – Favourite male character

Day 16 – Favourite female character

Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie

Day 20 – Favourite romance book

Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood

Day 22 – Favourite book you own

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

Day 28 – Favourite title

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked

Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

I decided to do mine starting from the 1st of June, to make it easier to remember where I was at with the list. I followed my gut reaction mainly, and managed to surprise myself a few times with my answers.

All I can say is that I think everyone should give this list a go on their reading lists & blogs, it is fun and thought provoking. I may do it again in the future just to see if my answers have changed.

So, again I say ~ Thank you frankie for bringing this to us. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I really enjoyed doing this, so many thanks from me too frankie, and have really enjoyed reading others' lists. They are scattered all over the site, so thought it might be an idea to use this thread to collate some of them together so that they are easier to track down. Hope others agree (if not, I'll delete). As a starter and possible template (just copy and overwrite with your choices), I've included my list below, plus a link to the first entry so that if anybody is interested in the reasoning behind any of the selections, they can follow it up.

The start of this list is at: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5954-willoyds-reading-from-2010-onwards/page__view__findpost__p__269384

Day 01 – Best book you read last year: The Years by Virginia Woolf

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times: Puck of Pook's Hill by Rudyard Kipling

Day 03 – Your favourite series: The Inspector Brunetti series by Donna Leon

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series: Fatal Remedies

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy: any of the Regency novels by Georgette Heyer

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad: The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

Day 07 – Most underrated book: pretty much everything written by Margaret Elphinstone

Day 08 – Most overrated book: Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving: Emma by Jane Austen

Day 10 – Favourite classic book: So many, had to split into three categories. Favourite 18th century: Sense and Sensibility; Favourite 19th century: Bleak House; Favourite foreign: War and Peace.

Day 11 – A book you hated: Homecoming by Bernhard Schlink

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore: none, so changed this to "A book you used to hate but don't anymore": Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Day 13 – Your favourite writer: Virginia Woolf

Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer: To The Lighthouse

Day 15 – Favourite male character: Jack Aubrey (from the series by Patrick O'Brian)

Day 16 – Favourite female character: Gudrid Thorsbjorndottir (from The Sea Road by Margaret Elphinstone)

Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book: none, but my favourite opening (counts as a quote, even if not from my favourite book): It was a dark blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea. (From Mortal Engines by Philip Reeves)

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you: Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe

Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie: A Very Long Engagement by Sebastian Japrisot

Day 20 – Favourite romance book: toss up between A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth and Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford.

Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood: Winter Holiday by Arthur Ransome

Day 22 – Favourite book you own: my set of Charles Dickens novels

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read: The Ruins of Time by Ben Woolfenden

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most: none: "on the whole, I find female characters more interesting, but not being female myself, I don't 'relate' to them (plenty I would like to have known though!), whilst the male characters I enjoy reading about are equally not those I 'relate' to."

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something: Small is Beautiful by EF Schumacher

Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Day 28 – Favourite title: jointly To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked: Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time: A Month in the Country by JL Carr

I also added a Day 31 – Your Top Ten Non-fiction books of all time, as I felt this questionnaire was very heavily focused on what represents only about 50% of my reading, so here's Day 31:

Crow Country by Mark Cocker (natural history)

Letter From America by Alistair Cooke (essays/journalism)

Chasing the Monsoon by Alexander Frater (travel)

Virginia Woolf by Hermione Lee (biography)

In Search of Robert Millar by Richard Moore (sport/biography)

A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols (sport/adventure)

The Language Instinct by Stephen Pinker (science)

The History of the Countryside by Oliver Rackham (landscape history)

The History of the World by JM Roberts (history)

Everest by Walt Unsworth (exploration/adventure)

And then I added an arbitrary eleventh, as not yet finished and being read as a long term project, but simply had to be fitted in somewhere: The Diary of Samuel Pepys.

Edited by willoyd