Favorite book of the year so far?

Mine so far this year has to be Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It's so different to all the other vampire books out there and it stayed with me for a long time after I read it. It was brillantly haunting and well written.

Apart from that I have not read many books this year so far, but with it being summer I think I'll have to get back into my favourite pastime of sitting in the garden with a cold drink and a good book :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to go with Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult and The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Both outstanding reads, me thinks.

Totally agree. I loved both of these books, and if I had have read them this year, I probably would have chosen them too.

Do old books count? A friend recommended The Picture of Dorian Gray and I'm loving it.

Of course they do, and that is my favourite book of all time.

My favourite so far would probably have to be The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón which was recommended by Kylie and which I really enjoyed. I have had some good reads this year, though; The Rembrandt Secret by Alex Connor was also fantastic, as was Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez. All in all, even if I haven't read that many novels this year, I have had some brilliant reads.

Edited by Ben

Has to be "The Girl who played with fire" by Stieg Larsson (just nicks it against the first one!)

Ian

Amongst fiction books, my favourite so far this year is a toss up between two:

To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf:

The Sea Road by Margaret Elphinstone

I'm definitely reading more by both authors!

In non-fiction, one stands head and shoulders above the rest, so good it's possibly the best biography I've read so far:

Virginia Woolf by Hermione Lee.

Edited by willoyd

I really enjoyed The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, as the post on my reading list shows:

From others' posts on the forum I could see that this looked like a "love it or hate it" book, and I definitely loved it. It often takes me a couple of chapters to get into a book, but I enjoyed this gothic tale from the very first page - the fact that it involved book lovers, an author and a bookshop definitely helped, but I liked the style of writing and very quickly became engrossed in the story. It was one of these books that I kept rushing through other parts of my day so I could get back to my reading!

I really enjoyed The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, as the post on my reading list shows:

From others' posts on the forum I could see that this looked like a "love it or hate it" book, and I definitely loved it. It often takes me a couple of chapters to get into a book, but I enjoyed this gothic tale from the very first page - the fact that it involved book lovers, an author and a bookshop definitely helped, but I liked the style of writing and very quickly became engrossed in the story. It was one of these books that I kept rushing through other parts of my day so I could get back to my reading!

I'm one of those that loved it :cool:

I think I'll have to go with Pride and Prejudice - I'm not much of a romantic and I didn't really expect to like it THAT much (I was reading it for school) but I absolutely loved it, I thought it was wonderful.

I've been rereading the Harry Potter's this year, they don't really count. But A Study in Scarlet would also get a high scoring with me, Sherlock Holmes is just one of my favourite characters of all time. :)

I think I'll have to go with Pride and Prejudice - I'm not much of a romantic and I didn't really expect to like it THAT much (I was reading it for school) but I absolutely loved it, I thought it was wonderful.

I've been rereading the Harry Potter's this year, they don't really count. But A Study in Scarlet would also get a high scoring with me, Sherlock Holmes is just one of my favourite characters of all time. :)

I think my favourite book so far this year has to be The Maze Runner by James Dashner - eagerly awaiting the movie adaptation! Unfortunately it'll probably be terrible due to the awful director it has, but I'm still eager.

Currently also reading a book called "It's Kind Of A Funny Story" by Ned Vizzini, which I found after watching the film adaptation of the same name. I loved the film, and the book is definitely going to be one of my favourite reads of the year.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I can narrow my favourites to two so far this year:

The Life of Pi, Yann Martel - awesome book, and totally not what I was expecting.

Before I go to Sleep, SJ Watson - debut book by a chap who worked for the NHS for years and decided to try his hand at writing - damn fine job he did too! Very unusual and gripping read about a woman with severe amnesia - highly recommended. :readingtwo:

Before I go to Sleep, SJ Watson - debut book by a chap who worked for the NHS for years and decided to try his hand at writing - damn fine job he did too! Very unusual and gripping read about a woman with severe amnesia - highly recommended. :readingtwo:

I also read this one, and raved about it. :) Around the same time, I also read Cuckoo by Julia Crouch - if you liked Before I Go To Sleep, you'd probably like this one too. Not the same style, but the same excellent writing.