Favorite book of the year so far?

Hi Everyone,

Since we're through half of the year now, I thought it would be fun to hear about everyone's favorite book from this first half of the year! Go through your lists of "read" books and let us know which one you love the most. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bethany! :D

I would have to say A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness would be my fave so far this year. Also, if I'm allowed a non-fiction book, I would say I loved Giants in the Earth by OA Rolvaag.

How about you? What's the bestest book you've read in these first 6 months?

I've given 3 books a rating of 10/10 so far this year:

Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince

A gorgeous little story which came at a good time in my life.

Jonathan Safran Foer: Everything is Illuminated

The story itself was great but the style of writing blew me away.

Mark Twain: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

A brilliant, adventurous story.

:D

Apparently I've given four books 10 out of 10 so far this year ...

The Snowman by Jo Nesbo

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay

A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay

A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin

... but I also gave one book 11 out of 10 :lol:

That was The Crippled God by Steven Erikson, which is the last book in his 'Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen'. It was a fantastic ending, and holds a special place for me as it's my favourite series of books :)

I haven't read a great deal this year compared to many of our members, but my personal favourites so far have been Independent People by Halldor Laxness, Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks and Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea. They are all very different books, but for me each of them was brilliant.

Edited by Talisman

I seem to have a few favourite books of the year so far!

Staying at Daisys - Jill Mansell. Jill Mansell is one of my favourite authors. Her books are always funny and seem to have a seriouslt message too. They are chick lit, so beware if its not your cup of tea!

The boy in the Striped Pyjamas - john Boyne. This is the most powerful book that I have read in a long long time. The ending had me sobbing too!

P.S. I Love You - Cecelia Ahern. This is also such a powerful book, it made me laugh and cry in places too.

The Hobbit - JRR Tolkein - A book that everyone should read, absolutly fantastic!

The Secret Garden - Francis Hodgson Burnett - My favourite childrens classic of all time, at the moment!

The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkein - a fantastic series of books!

Ok, so maybe I have several books so far, not just the one, but if I had to pick on, it would be The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

The boy in the Striped Pyjamas - john Boyne. This is the most powerful book that I have read in a long long time. The ending had me sobbing too!

I loved this one....so heartbreaking, but oh so good

I love hearing about all of these! A few of them are sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read... I have a feeling they just went up higher on the list. :)

I'm going with Room by Emma Donoghue as my favorite so far.

Oh that's such a hard question!

I think I'd have to say Gone With The Wind; it's such a long book and normally I find myself getting bored or at least a bit bogged down with books of that length, but it held my attention from the first page until the last!

Runners up: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer, and Small Island by Andrea Levy :)

Great thread! I've added a few to my wishlist, and bumped a few up my to-be-read pile.

I've had an unprecedented number of five star books this year, so it's been really hard to choose, but I think I'll have to say my absolute favourite has been For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair With Poker by Victoria Coren. I learned, I laughed, I cried. It doesn't get better than that.

Toast - Nigel Slatter

I had avoided it for a long time assuming it would be dull and boring but after watching it on the bbc over Christmas I relaised I was wrong and had to read it

Lost in a Good Book - Jasper Fforde

I became interested in JF after seeing Chesilbeach's avatar I hadn't heard of or noticed these wonderful books with fantastic covers before but I am making up for lost time now - chose LiaGB over the Eyre Affair as I am more familiar with Great Expectations

Edited by Easy Reader

My favourite book so far is Das Lied der Träumerin by Tanya Stewner. It's a book from a German author about a girl who want to live her dream. She wants to sing and so she goes to London and tries to make this dream come true. It's a book about live and death, love and despair. It is really fascinatind and made me think about myself and my life.

My favourite book was Perfume: The story of a murderer but I can't remember who wrote it now.

It's by Patrick Süskind. I loved it too when I read it. :)

My favourites so far this year have been:

•  
  • Frances Hodgson Burnett – A Little Princess
  • Frances Hodgson Burnett – The Secret Garden
  • Emma Donoghue – Room
  • Cornelia Funke – Inkheart

I rated each of them 5/5, which doesn't happen very often, so to get 4 of them within the first 6 months of the year is something quite unusual!