The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter

Being a pretty strange series of short stories I wondered what other peoples thoughts were on this one?

For example what was your favourite story in it?

I think mine was 'The Erl King' although I'm not completely sure why since I never did understand the ending properly! :D (if anybody else did by the way, particularly the bit about the fiddle, please tell me!)

I usually don't read short stories but I checked it out on amazon.com and read an excerpt from The Bloody Chamber. Her style of writing immediately grabbed me! Will look for it for my next library visit.

I don't usually read short stories either, this was one of my A-level texts, I thought it was a bit strange at first but it really grew on me! She really is a brilliant writer and I liked the alternative fairy-story theme :)

Happy this post inspired you to read it!

I read it a long time ago so can't remember all the stories I remember loving the bloody Chamber though and a company of Wolves 9did you know they made a film of that....very odd but I like it) have you read any of her other books my favourite is The Magic Toyshop

I remember reading this last year. A friend of mine was studying it for one of her coursework texts, and I thought seen as though it was short, that I'd read it as well. I enjoyed it a lot; her writing style is engaging and beautifully poetic, and as it is a short story I left myself feeling disappointed there wasn't more.

This has been high up on my wish list ever since I read The Magic Toyshop a few years ago. I'd really like to read all of Angela Carter's books, I love her style!

I haven't read any of her other books but might have a look at The Magic Toyshop since a few of you recommend it :)

And Pickle I didn't know The Company of Wolves was made into a film! I might have to have a look at that as well!

I completely agree with what a lot of you are saying about her style too, she fits so much into such a short space just by using the right words.

I had this book for a long time before I began to read it, mainly because it didn't apeal to me because its so different to what I usually read.I don't regret reading it but it wasn't really for me.Although I do appreciate the way in which it is written and the stories which are told.The short story which stands out for me is the one were the old man loses his daughter to the beast at cards, which one is this again?

IAnd Pickle I didn't know The Company of Wolves was made into a film! I might have to have a look at that as well!

It was quite a short film made in 1984 starring of all people Angela Landsbury as Grandma. Very wierd but it holds a special place for me.

I have read a couple of her other books

Nights at the Circus

Heroes and Villains

The Passion of New Eve

I haven't loved them all but I have loved the way she writes, I always imagine it as a rich oil painiting sort of a trompe l'oeil technique where things appear to be painted in 3D she writes sort of fantastic realism.

• 11 months later...

I did this for my A Level English Literature course. Loved it. I have a thing for retellings of fairytales anyway :P

My favourite was "The Snow Child", really short and quite explcit but I loved it all the same. I agree with all of you on her writing style, it's beautiful.

Also been meaning to check out The Company of Wolves film for a while now, must get on with that really . . .

We read this as part of the Reading Circle a short while ago and a lot of people's thoughts can be read here :

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9624-the-bloody-chamber-and-other-stories-by-angela-carter/

I also liked the film The Company Of Wolves Pickle it was great. Hard to categorise, people looking for a horror would be disappointed, although the wolf-changing bits are awesome and imaginative.