Hayley's books - 2011/12

Hayley

I've just recieved my book list for this year from my university and thought making this might help me organise what I need to read! (while still reading my own books. of course!) Also I've read very few of the books on here so if anyone has any tips about them please let me know!

First of all the books I've got lined up to read myself are:

Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

Neil Gaiman. Stardust

Neil Gaiman American Gods

Then for uni:

19th century literature...

Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

Charles Darwin, On the origin of species

Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Elizabeth Gaskell, Mary Barton

Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Robert Louis Stevenson, Strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Oscar Wilde, The picture of Dorian Grey

(and selected poetry which isn't specified yet)

18th century literature...

Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe

Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's travels

Frances Burney, Evelina

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

(also poetry and short prose pieces from John Dryden, Alexander Pope, Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, Jonathan Swift, Aphra B ehn, Thomas Grey and Charlotte Smith)

American Classics...

The Norton Anthology of American literature (for Nathaniel Hawthorns The Scarlet letter, short stories from the latter and Edgar Allan Poe, Poetry from Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman and slave narratives by Frederick Douglass and Harriet Jacobs)

James Fenimore Cooper, The last of the Mohicans

Henry James, the American

Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

Mark Twain, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Edith Wharton, The House of Mirth

Major Authors...

(This ones about Austen and Dickens)

From Austen;

Lady Susan,

Emma,

Northanger Abbey

Persuasion

(and 'memoir of Jane Austen' by Austen-Leigh)

From Dickens:

A Christmas Carol and other Christmas writing

Hard Times

David Copperfield

Oliver Twist

(The two I crossed out are the two that I've read by the way, and a Christmas Carol is crossed out without the rest of the book because I havn't read the other 'Christmas writing')

All help and advice appreciated! :)

First of all the books I've got lined up to read myself are:

Neil Gaiman American Gods

Then for uni:

Robert Louis Stevenson, Strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Oscar Wilde, The picture of Dorian Grey

Two of my favourite books there; American Gods and The Picture of Dorian Gray are fantastic reads. Must say, you're university reading list is looking good; hope I get mine soon, because I'm sure it'll be similar and full of great books.

Well that's a good sign :) I wanted to read some Neil Gaiman books since I read 'Good Omens' which he did with Terry Pratchett.

Are you doing literature at university too?

Good Omens was fantastic, I enjoyed that too.

I am indeed; I am studying English Literature & Creative Writing at university in September.`

Haha, thanks Kylie :)

And that sounds like a good course Ben, I looked at doing that as well but the university I wanted didn't do combined, I can definitely recommend English Literature though, can't complain about a class where you talk about books for two hours! I hope you enjoy it :)

My thoughts on Terry Pratchett - Carpe Jugulum

I finished this last night, another amazing Pratchett book.

Its probably one of the Discworld books where it would make more sense if you've read previous books. For example I think some parts would only be funny if you'd read The Wee Free Men and possibly Witches Abroad. There's some beautiful imagery, as usual and of course a message or two that you could definitely apply to real life...

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is." (Granny Weatherwax)

I always expect a lot from the Discworld novels, and I haven't been dissapointed yet, this one was no exception. :)

Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe

Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's travels

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

James Fenimore Cooper, The last of the Mohicans

Emma,

Northanger Abbey

Persuasion

Oliver Twist

I have read the above books (or started them).

I loved all the Austen ones and read them one after the other in the complete works. I got really into the groove. Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice are the best. I do recommend the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth as well. Mmmmmm.

I loved Tess of the dUrbervilles although couldn't tell you the plot as read it when I was 14.

The Last of the Mohicans unfortunately was extremely dry despite the exciting subject matter and I couldn't get through Robinson Crusoe, Gulliver's Travels or Great Expectations (the first part of Great Expectations I loved though but then it got boring).

Oliver Twist was pretty good.

So a mixed bag. Looks like I like classic chick lit!!

Good luck with your reading.

Thoughts on Neil Gaiman - Stardust :

Another book I really enjoyed! I wasn't too sure about it when I started, the characters all seemed a bit bland and hollow, but then as I got further into the book I realised it was intentional. The descriptions of Faerie and the sheer imagination that went into creating this alternative world is amazing.

I only wish it had been longer! :lol:

Thoughts on Neil Gaiman - Stardust :

Another book I really enjoyed! I wasn't too sure about it when I started, the characters all seemed a bit bland and hollow, but then as I got further into the book I realised it was intentional. The descriptions of Faerie and the sheer imagination that went into creating this alternative world is amazing.

I only wish it had been longer! :lol:

I've wanted to read more of Gaiman's work for a while now, and this sounds like it could find it's way onto my to-be-read pile now.

Neil Gaiman American Gods...

Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

From Dickens:

A Christmas Carol

David Copperfield

Oliver Twist

I adored 'American Gods' which I read very recently. I haven't read 'Startdust', but I have read Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere' which I thought was brilliant. I plan on reading ALL neil Gaiman works. :D

I read the classics you list above quite a few years ago, and can only say that I enjoyed them all except the Thomas Hardy, as I wanted to slap him, and Tess. :blush:

I really like Dickens, and would have Dickensian moods where that would be all I'd read, and I think they are easily read once you're in the right frame of mind.

When you hear about your poetry stuff, let me know, as I have a few books here that may help.

Your reading list looks good Hayley, I am with Lady Macbeth in liking Jane Austen, have read Persuasion, Northanger Abby and best of all Pride and Prejudice. Finished American Gods only last week and it is still in my mind, enjoyed that very much, will be interested to read what you think of it.

Good luck with your uni course, I went to see my own son's Graduation yesterday, we are very proud of him.

Edited by vodkafan

• 1 month later...

Ok I finished Robinson Crusoe while I was on holiday and have gotten pretty far into George Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty-Four' now. I'm not sure what to read afterwards yet, American Gods is looking increasingly tempting but I really should be getting through more of my uni reading list. I'll probably just see how I feel after Nineteen Eighty-Four.

I'm reluctant to actually review Robinson Crusoe before I've studied it because my view of it might change, but from my first impression I'd say it was... O.K.

It took me quite a long time to get into it (probably about half the book), I felt that there was a little too much unnecessary information about sailing, goats and fences and this really slowed down the pace to the point where it was easy to loose interest. On the other hand I did find the story got much more interesting as it went on and in places the amount of detail is impressive, rather than annoying.

It's worth reading, as it truly is a classic and one which had a huge effect on modern media, but be prepared to be patient with it if you do try it. :)

I started Robinson Crusoe when I was a keen teenager but found it so dull after 2-3 chapters I gave up.

However I loved 1984 which I read recently. The psychological element really got me going - there was no horror or overt gore but I still found it one of the scariest reads of my life.

I agree! I think its the fact that it doesn't actually seem that unrealistic that's so scary.

I think I probably would have given up on Robinson Crusoe too if I didn't have to read it but it honestly does get better towards the end!

George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty-Four

I really enjoyed this book, although I had a feeling I would from the start. It's really very suspenseful despite the fact that there isn't much action in large parts of it. It's also very thought provoking as the comparisons to real events, such as communist controlled Russia and Nazi Germany, make the possibility of a country controlled by 'Big Brother' scarily realistic.

There were a couple of parts where my interest started to dwindle but (without giving anything away) it was only parts where there was a lot of talk about the politics behind the book and might not be uninteresting to others.

Overall though I thought it was very good and very intricately written. :)

I probably should have mentioned, I'm starting on Darwin's 'The Origin of Species' next because I thought I should get a move on with my uni books!

However I did buy 'Little Women' and 'Around the World in 80 Days' so adding them to my list (it was £1.99 in The Works for both of them, I couldn't resist!) :blush:

Ok we had our timetables for uni this week and we're starting Jane Eyre on the 25th October and Great Expectations on 1st November so I think I may have to put Darwin to one side and get started on these!

Let the frantic reading commence! :readingtwo:

Hey Hayley, lots of exciting reads ahead of you it seems..

I'm still waiting on my university time-table exactly, but I'm sure it'll be here soon, and I've started (albeit slowly) on my own reading list; first of which is Pride and Prejudice.

Anyway, best of luck with the reading in general, and I hope you manage some great reads.

George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty-Four

I really enjoyed this book, although I had a feeling I would from the start. It's really very suspenseful despite the fact that there isn't much action in large parts of it. It's also very thought provoking as the comparisons to real events, such as communist controlled Russia and Nazi Germany, make the possibility of a country controlled by 'Big Brother' scarily realistic.

There were a couple of parts where my interest started to dwindle but (without giving anything away) it was only parts where there was a lot of talk about the politics behind the book and might not be uninteresting to others.

Overall though I thought it was very good and very intricately written. :)

I am glad you liked 1984 Hayley. I have read that a few times spaced years apart, the first time when I was about 15, when I happened to catch the old black-and-white TV version starring Peter Cushing. That is a chilling piece of filmmaking if you can get to see it. I find the book even more frightening now, because in my own lifetime I have seen some of the things in the book that I thought fanciful have came true; ie the manipulation of thought by language, and of deliberate confusion by misinformation. You will probably become more interested in the politics as you get older and of course Orwell was all about the politics, but it's enough for now that you enjoyed it! :D