Recommended books for Children

buzzybee

For the 10 & 12 yr olds, I can heartily recommend The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart & Chriss Riddell - I read the entire series last year & adored them (so much so that I'm keeping hold of them all instead of flogging them!). They might also enjoy the Discworld novels aimed at younger readers such as the ones featuring Tiffany Aching and also The Amazing Maurice & his Educated Rodents.

There are also such classics as The Chronicles of Narnia which are absolutely magical & perfect for the 10-y-o (in my opinion) and also for the 12-y-o if they like that kind of thing.

I've not really had much experience of books for 5-y-o's though, so I'll leave that to other members.

I hope that's some help. :friends0:

I always enjoyed Dick King Smith :D I read him between the ages of 8 - 11 (in the 1990s), and he has lots of wonderful books. I'd particularly recommend The Sheep Pig (aka 'Babe'), Harry's Mad, The Fox Busters and The Queen's Nose as good starting points. All very different.

He also writes for younger children, and I loved his books The Guard Dog, The Hodgeheg and Jenius: The Amazing Guinea Pig. These are also great to read aloud, so would be suitable to read with your youngest girl. Roald Dahl's picture-based books for younger children are also amazing, especially The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me. Wonderful story, and very jolly too!

For your 10 and 12 year old girls, I have to mention Jacqueline Wilson. She rocks! I feel really priviledged to have been the right age at the right time to read her books. I loved The Story of Tracy Beaker, The Suitcase Kid and The Bed and Breakfast Star.

for the 2 older kids: garth nix (the old kindom series + others), eoin colfer (artemis fowl and others), alison croggon (the gift/riddle/crow), jacqueline wilson (everyone knows her!! :D ), and...bonnie bryant (the saddle club books), lucy daniels (animal ark and others) and......I'll get back to you on that

Did you know that there isn't actually a 'Lucy Daniels' who writes Animal Ark? There was a really interesting article in the Independent about the company who publishes that series and others, Working Partners. You can read about it here.

It's fascinating - I'd love to work for them!

yeah, I know, my yr 4 teacher told me. I thought I'd just say Lucy Daniels anyway so I don't spoil it for people. :D

It spoiled it for me :)

I guess it can be a bit hard to get into. But once you start immersing yourself in it I think it's great Might stick it on the TBR pile.

well i got to page 50!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Did you know that there isn't actually a 'Lucy Daniels' who writes Animal Ark? There was a really interesting article in the Independent about the company who publishes that series and others, Working Partners. You can read about it here.

For any young Lucy Daniels fans around, if an RL Stine fan taunts you about "her" books - you can let them know that he is also a company - the copyright is always credited to RL Stine Inc!

Thanks for the article - I've always known it happened but to read about it in such details is fascinating indeed!

Further book suggestions from myself include:

For the 12 year old: If she likes historical fiction, I went to the launch of "The Raven Queen" by Pauline Francis on Thursday night - it's tells the fictionalised story of Lady Jane Gray, written for young teenagers. Unusually for historical fic it's fast paced and action packed, and is due out later this month.

For the 10 year old: The Grk series by Joshua Doder are proving popular. The film rights have been sold as well, and if this happens then I can see it going from strength to strength. This is also where I can plug Cornelia Funke - one of my favourite children's authors. The Thief Lord and Inkheart are two of the best crafted and lyrically told books I have read. I'll also mention Cat Weatherill and her Ashenpeake novels, Barkbelly and Snowbone. Equally lyrical and well imagined, but a little wordy in places!

For the 5 year old: I am currently loving reading "Who's in the Loo?" by Jeanne Willis and Adrian Reynolds. Set in rhyme, it discusses all the animals and what it is they are doing that is casuing the queue. However, it has children in laughter and teachers a little confused until you get to the unexpected and morally endearing ending! You can't go wrong with Giles Andrea either - his new offering of "All afloat on Noah's Boat" is a comical retelling of the bible story, and "Come to Tea on Planet Zum-Zee" is one of my favourite read aloud books.

For any young Lucy Daniels fans around, if an RL Stine fan taunts you about "her" books - you can let them know that he is also a company - the copyright is always credited to RL Stine Inc!

Thanks for the article - I've always known it happened but to read about it in such details is fascinating indeed!

That's all right - it was an interesting bit of writing I thought I'd share :lol:

I didn't know that about RL Stine tho! Is he an actual person as well as a brand?

• 2 weeks later...

One of the Lucy Daniels was my Children's Literature tutor at Uni. We had to interview a children's author for an assignment and one of my friends interviewed her, which I thought was quite brave seeing as she would be marking it.

Your twelve year old might enjoy:

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle

Little Britches by Ralph Moody

Ride the River by Louis L'Amour

So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane

Dragonsinger, Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

I'm thinking of your twelve year old reads any of these, your ten year old is sure to follow....

Enjoy!

That's interesting about Lucy Daniels and possibly R. L. Stine, I used to read both Goosebumps and Animal Ark books when I was younger.

Quite frankly, though, I have to recommend the works of Enid Blyton (especially the Faraway Tree stories) and Roald Dahl. I just couldn't put those books down since I was about four years old to past the age of ten.

If you consider buying the Enid Blyton books, however, you might want to consider buying older editions because the newer editions have been edited to be more 'modern' and non-controversial which in my opinion ruins the whole effect of it. It is an old book and has differences to modern literature, but contrary to people's beliefs the old books don't traumatise children or make it harder to understand! I read and re-read those books over and I was never disturbed or traumatised by it or didn't understand that 'Jo' was a boy.

Things like that just make me angry. It's not broken, don't try and fix it.