Recommended books for Children

buzzybee

PDR said

You can read about it here.

I clicked on the link and read part of the article, but I'm afraid I found the process described a little artificial...like manufactured bands. Yes, ok, script writers often write together, or as part of a team, but my understanding is that they have a little more freedom that that. The thought that after all those rigid guidelines and a reworking over and over again, you might not be picked and therefore not even get paid...no. I would want to be mistress of my own creativity. Its just taking formular writing one stage further in the interests of quantity and sales. Sorry I know that's cynical, but that's what I felt when I read it.

• 2 months later...
May I suggest 'Howl's moving castle' and 'Castle in the sky' by Dianna Wynne Jones x

Yes, yes, yes! In fact ANY DWJ book, she is just the best children's author.

I'd reccomend: Dogsbody for younger readers and the Dalemark Quartet (The Spellcoats, Cart and Cwidder, Drowned Ammet, The Crown of Dalemark) for older readers.

I don't and never liked Jaquourline Wilson books. I never liked them as a kid and I think I read one or two. They were just so boring. I kept thinking 'yeah and?' I know they are supposed to (I think) teach kids and help kids to deal with real issues and such... but I guess they just didn't click with me. They never seemed very imaginative and only skimmed the surface with me.

Eoin Colfer is good - The Wish List.

Lian Hern's Otari books are beautiful and might be okay for your 12 year old although it's more YA the children's technically I suppose. I'm waiting until the 4th comes out on Paperback. It takes sooo long!

Brian Jaques Redwall series. I loved those as a kid, although I can't really get into them now. Someone mention Colin Dann here - the Animals of Farthing Wood is excellent. I wish they'd put the old BBC cartoon on DVD...

• 3 months later...
All my children love books which Im really pleased about and I would love to know which authors you would recommend.

I have three girls aged 5, 10 and 12

Thanks

My bestsellers for the older two would be North Child by Edith Patou (and for adults, it is a BRILLIANT book), Marco's Pendulum by Thom Madley, and The Spy Girl books by Carol Hedges.

For the 5 year old it would have to be the Pony Mad Princess books by Diana Kimpton.

For the 12 year old: If she likes historical fiction, I went to the launch of "The Raven Queen" by Pauline Francis on Thursday night - it's tells the fictionalised story of Lady Jane Gray, written for young teenagers. Unusually for historical fic it's fast paced and action packed, and is due out later this month.

Oh yes, forgot this one! I loved it :welcomeboard: See I can make the excuse that I have to read them so that I can advise customers ... but okay, I just like reading them :tong:

Is your 5 year old into fairies?-there is a great set of books out by Daisy Meadows-www.rainbowmagic.co.uk or kids here have been getting into the Captain Underpants series-www.pilkey.com/ and there is also Paul Jennings and Morris Gleitzman this web address is a bit about him and Paul, http://www.ozco.gov.au/arts_in_australia/artists/artists_literature/morris_gleitzman/

I have been involved with kids and reading and these above authors always remain a firm favourite with them:)

• 2 weeks later...