WW2 Books

There are the books by the Danish Sven Hassel who wrote psuedo-autobigraphical novels based upon his experiences with the German army.

I will try and dig out some more titles for you, but in the meantime, this thread was created by someone looking for books relating to World War 2, and yoiu may find a few of the suggestions are just what you are looking for. :)

Hi mav, welcome to BCF

try The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer.

I just wrote a synopsis for it on the reading circle thread here:

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8586-august-2011-reading-circle-nominations/

(you will have to scroll down to the end to find it)

How about trying "Between Shades of Gray" by Ruta Sepetys. This is a story about the horrors of displacement and refugees. The story is based on true events and would perhaps balance up the bravery and glory of the fighter pilot elite set against what was happening on the ground during world war 2. It wasn't at all "Tally Ho"time for everyone. The book has fantastic reviews and is highly recommended.

My Grandfather died in WW2. He's from Yugoslavia and fort with Germany. I'm looking for books written by soldiers describing there experiences.

Hi Mav,

I would recommend Arnhem By Major-General R E Urquhart. Urquhart was in command of the British Airborne Division's attempt to capture and hold the Rhine crossing, he gives a very direct and honest account of the battle and there is no attempt to hide the fact that things went wrong right from the start and how little influence he had on events.

Although it is a long time since I read it I believe it is still quite easy to get a copy.