Featured Author - Carole Matthews

Hi Purple Poppy - Let's Meet on Platform 8 is very definitely based on my experience of commuting into London - but, unfortunately, I never did meet my own Jamie! Lots of my material is based on personal experience - I've been married twice, so I have a lot to go on! I also have a lot of friends with very complicated lives who are kind enough to shares their stories with me over a glass of wine! Carole xx

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kerry - yes, my stories go off tangent all the time. I do work to a plot, but they never quite turn out as I envisage. I think it's a good thing to surprise yourself as a writer though - I hope that comes through for readers too.

As a new writer you absolutely must be your own publicist. My experience is that no one else will do it for you! I have a fantastic publicist now - but that's just about the first one in eleven years!!! Other than that, I'd had to do my own groundwork. I always tell my editor that it's 90% promotion and 10% writing - very rarely am I joking... Carole xx

Hi Michelle - I was trying to get back into work mode after the Christmas break and starting browsing myspace - a friend had recently set up a page and thought that it would be a good thing for me to do. I'm currently struggling a bit to pimp my site as it's at the outer limits of my technical ability! I don't know if I've gained many new readers yet, but I've certainly connected with a lot of people who seem to have been reading me for years - which was a very nice surprise. I think it's nice that readers can chat away with the authors of some of their favourite books. That's something that myspace has facilitated. It's also very time-wasting! I spend hours fiddling about on there when I should actually be writing... :D Carole xx

Carole - my daughter is interested in writing (she's 17). What kind of things to do with writing did you do before you were ready to write your first novel? Do you have any advice for my daughter?

Hi Judy - I went out and lived a very colourful life before I become an author so I'd have lots of material! Just joking... :D I'd advise your daughter to start perhaps writing short stories - that's a good and less daunting way to start practising your craft. There are a lot of sites on the internet where teenagers can post their work. There's a good market for teen or YA books at the moment (Young Adult) - perhaps it would be fun to write about what issues concern her and her friends. Hope that helps. Carole xx

Hi Michelle - thanks for the offer of techy help. I'm trying to get a slideshow on there at the moment of all my book covers and am having to resize all the images we've got. Grrr...

Publishers these days don't do much in the way of book launches - cutbacks! But I thought I'd have a a blow-out to celebrate the launch of my tenth book which was Welcome To The Real World. A personal favourite from all of my own books (if authors are allowed to have favourites...) Our local tv station came along and filmed it. We had a lovely evening and, as the book is set partly in the world of opera (and partly in the world of tv talent shows) - we had a fabulous opera singer come along and blow us away! It was a really great evening and some of my readers came along too, so that was nice. Carole xx

Hi Judy - I went out and lived a very colourful life before I become an author so I'd have lots of material! Just joking... :D

LOL - maybe my 15 year old should consider writing instead! Thanks for the good advice. I've also suggested that she considers doing Creative Writing as part of her degree when she eventually goes to University. Funnily enough that was what I was going to do but ended up getting married instead of going to University and now am in absolute awe of anyone that can sustain a novel - the more I read the more I feel that.

Judy x

Hi Carole. I have just watched the book signing video of you at Mk. Its great to put a face and voice to your name. I hope you enjoy lots more nights like that in the future.

How long did it take you to get published? Some of the writing websites reckon it can take about ten years with literally hundreds of failed submissions. Its sounds as if you have to be very determined and tenacious.

Hi Purple Poppy - It's true. I was very lucky to be published quite quickly as I caught the whole Bridget Jones, chick-lit thing here (and then again in the States a few years later). But I do a lot of workshops and stuff and it takes most people around ten years to get published - I've even met people still knocking on doors after twenty years! That certainly takes determination and a bit of blind faith. I think the thing about being a writer is that you have to be pretty determined (nay, stubborn) to keep hammering away at agents and publishers, a bit thick-skinned to take the rejections and yet sensitive enough to care about people to want to write stories. It's an odd balance which is why most of us are neurotic, bossy boots!

Glad you liked the book launch video clip - me in a dress is an extremely rare occurence - my dearly beloved wasn't even sure that I had knees...:D Best Carole xx

Hi Judy - I have mixed feelings of taking degrees in writing - there are a lot of courses about now. On the one hand, I think it's a great indulgence to be able to spend time finding your voice and having guidance, studying other authors. But, on the other hand, I don't think anyone can teach you to write. You can either do it or you can't. People can teach you more about plotting, characterisation, construction and stuff - but not how to actually write. The only way to learn, imho, is just do it! Best Carole xx

Hi Carole

I just wondered how you feel about being on the Longlist of the RNA Romantic Novel of the Year Award 2007for Welcome to the Real World?

I was on the Reading Panel this year, and was really pleased to see yours on the list as it was one that I reviewed for them. Having been involved with music all my life, I enjoyed reading a contemporary novel set in the music world, but that looked more widely than pop!

Hi Sugar - I'm delighted to be on the longlist and will find out this week if I've made the shortlist. Fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted. The seven finalists are announced on Valentine's Day. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the book. Welcome To The Real World is one of my own personal favourites, so it would be nice for it to do well. It comes out at the end of February in the UK, so the timing is perfect for me. Best Carole xx

Hi Everyone - just to let you know my exciting news! Found out yesterday that I've been short-listed for the Romantic Novel of the Year Award for Welcome To The Real World. What better Valentine's gift could I ask for? Details of the other authors can be found at www.rna-uk.org. Yippee! Now have to wait until end of April to find out if I've won! Carole xx

Hi Carole

You've already been kind enough to answer my questions, but someone suggested I should ask you if you had any advice on giving radio interviews.

I have been offered my first live radio interview tomorrow and I am incredibly nervous - I am worried that I have nothing interesting to say, and that I'll clam up live on air. Or even worse, that I'll muddle my words up or sound stupid.

Do you have any tried and tested tips for me, please (am down on my knees holding hands in a pleading manner)?

Thanks, Kerri

Hi Kerri

Radio is a joy to do! I love it. There's nothing to worry about at all. I normally take the book in with me as a kind of prompt - you've got the jacket blurb in front of you then. The interviewers are usually so skilled at their job that it's just like having a chat with a friend. Write a note of things that you specifically want to mention - website or date of publication and signings you're doing - and give it to the host of the show and ask if you can made sure to get a plug in. That's what you're there for after all! All they normally want to know is what the book is about, how you got into writing and if you have any tips for other writers. They're the most common things in a short interview. Wear something light as studios are normally boiling and don't wear clanky jewellery! Take a bottle of water - sometimes they forget to get you a drink and you're mouth can dry up. Hope that helps! Good luck with it. Best Carolexx

Hi Michelle - I haven't read the rest of the books as I only found out who was on the list myself yesterday. Quite fancy reading Matt Dunn's - Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook. I've read a couple of Rosie Thomas's books and quite like her style - so I might give that a go too. I haven't read any of Judith Lennox's books which is very remiss of me, so I'll probably get that one too. Best Carole xx

Hi Carole. I noticed this iisn't the only place you're author of the month - I got my newsletter from LoveReading.co.uk and I see you're the featured author for February there too - way to go!