Helen Forrester’s autobiographical series

jjzazzy

A review of Helen Forrester’s autobiographical series, including:

Two Pence to Cross the Mersey, Liverpool miss, By the Waters of Liverpool, Lime Street at Two

I recently completed the omnibus (four books bound into one) and was deeply moved by the stories.

Two Pence to Cross the Mersey tells the story of Helens family, who after having lost their wealth during the depression, move to the slums of Liverpool. At age 11, she is forced to stay home to care for the younger children and keep house while her parents search for work. The story chronicles her new life in abject poverty as suffers from cold, hunger and isolation

In Liverpool Miss, Helen battles to find work and improve her education.

By the Waters of Liverpool, Helen finds that despite a steady income, her family’s mismanagement of money means that household conditions improve slowly, but she begins to assert her independence, and find time for herself.

Lime Street at Two, the story recounts the struggles of civilians during WWII, including blackouts, bombing, rationing, loss of loved ones as well as the changing position of women in society.

The books read smoothly like historical fiction, and I had to remind myself that they were autobiographical. I think the stories represent many women during that era, and provide a wide view into a life where freedoms and privileges are hard fought.

The books would be suitable for a mature YA reader, or recommended to any young woman who grew up with too many fairy tale stories. These books are fiercely real, where a fictional woman would have been ‘rescued’ Helen Forrester had to find her own way.

Overall, worth the read (and emotional investment), an inspiring story of overcoming personal challenges.

I've read all these books and found them fascinating although rather harrowing. It's hard to believe life was so hard in England during the 30's but Helen's parent's incompetence and selfishness, especially in the case of her mother, made the conditions she lived in quite appalling. You have to give her so much credit for becoming a well-known author after her very sketchy formal education as a child.

I've read one of her novels too, can't remember which one, but it was set in India. It was interesting but I didn't enjoy it as much as her autobiographical books.

• 4 months later...

I have been wanting to get this series after reading the synopsis on Amazon but was a little unsure as I always am incase I do not enjoy the books.

But your little write up has helped to convince me that I would really like these books and so they are going on my wishlist.

Is it best to get the omnibus edition do you think or should I just get the books seperately? Oh and which is first in the series please?