Kindle pricing

Lumo

The Kindle has been the same price for a while now, with talk of a new version coming out this year, do people predict that:

- The new one will be more expensive than £111 and around the time of release the current one will get cheaper?

- The new one will replace the current one, and be priced at a similar £111?

I really want one, but it's a bit too expensive for me, not sure if I should just bite the bullet and buy one, or wait and see what happens when the new one comes out (perhaps ebay will be flooded with people offloading their 'old' ones when they replace them with the new one).

What other thoughts do people have? Might a competing eink system be released soon?

^ I think that's a supplimentary service - you can have one with ads for £70 or without for £111.

My guess would be that any new Kindle will stay around the same price as the old one. With no real competition I can't see them lowering the price.

I agree with Raven and I also think you're correct, Duncan, in saying that ebay will be flooded with people offloading their old Kindle for a new one, so you could still wait and pick one up for less than the current price.

Can you use 2nd hand kindles I was under the impression only the person whos name its registered to could use it.

I did read something in the economist (its about the only thing I read in there) in January saying that the new release will bring down the price of the current one.

I was looking on waterstones website yesterday and they have an ereader on there that I haven't seen before for £80 I didn't read the details though just in case it sounded better than my kindle.

Can you use 2nd hand kindles I was under the impression only the person whos name its registered to could use it.

I think you can de-register the Kindle, which if you were selling it in you would want to do. The new owner would then register the Kindle as their own and start purchasing.

Interesting about a US version possibly having adverts, I had not heard of that, however it sounds like it might be annoying. I think I will wait and look out on eBay and cash converters, as suggested. I also checked out the Waterstones one and it doesn't seems as good as the Kindle ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm picking up an old kindle from an old friend (tee hee) in August :D

I don't care about old or new. I like that it doesn't have adverts, that's all I really require. How can they upgrade the way the kindle shows the books? It'll still be words on a page.

• 1 month later...

I'm now on holiday in the US and noticed the kindle on amazon.com is $114, which is just under UK£75, quite a bit less than the £111 amazon.co.uk charge. It's even more tempting now, but it's probably even closer to a new version coming out...

Edited by Duncan

That doesn't necessarily mean a thing though Duncan - as we live in rip off Britain where everything costs more !

I haven't personally heard anything about a new Kindle yet, but if I was going to launch such a product, I would probably want to do it in the month before Christmas ...

Is it just me who finds the prices for books (do you call them that on a kindle lol) a little odd.

I haven't got a kindle but I've noticed that on Amazon some of the kindle books are slightly more expensive (ok we're probs talking pennies) than paperback. I would of thought if it's electronic & it hasn't had to be printed it should be cheaper to buy as it hasn't cost so much to produce. I'd think it would be cheaper than just a few pennies too.

Just my opinion.

I'm now on holiday in the US and noticed the kindle on amazon.com is $114, which is just under UK£75, quite a bit less than the £111 amazon.co.uk charge. It's even more tempting now, but it's probably even closer to a new version coming out...

The $114 Kindle is the one with advertising sponsorship which is why it is cheaper, as you are basically being subsidised to watch adverts on your Kindle. The equivalent to the UK version of the Kindle (I.e. without advertising) is still $139 which equates to about £90, and although still cheaper than the UK price, as mentioned above, UK prices are generally higher anyway. I'm not sure if you can buy a Kindle in the US and then register it to an account in the UK - I think there used to be a restriction on it so you had to have an US address to use the Kindle but this was before it was available in the UK. Worth checking though, as it would be a nightmare to buy it cheaper in the US then find you couldn't actually register it with your UK account to buy books.

Is it just me who finds the prices for books (do you call them that on a kindle lol) a little odd.

I haven't got a kindle but I've noticed that on Amazon some of the kindle books are slightly more expensive (ok we're probs talking pennies) than paperback. I would of thought if it's electronic & it hasn't had to be printed it should be cheaper to buy as it hasn't cost so much to produce. I'd think it would be cheaper than just a few pennies too.

Just my opinion.

It's a lot to do with the net price agreement which allows retailers to set the price of physical books at whatever they like, whereas ebooks aren't covered by this, and publishers are allowed to set the price of ebooks themselves. Their idea is that they set the recommended retail price of a paperback at e.g. £6.99 and then set the ebook price at e.g. £4.49, but Amazon discount the paperback version to e.g. £4.38 but are not allowed to set the ebook price at a discount so it ends up being more than the paperback.

It's a lot to do with the net price agreement which allows retailers to set the price of physical books at whatever they like, whereas ebooks aren't covered by this, and publishers are allowed to set the price of ebooks themselves. Their idea is that they set the recommended retail price of a paperback at e.g. £6.99 and then set the ebook price at e.g. £4.49, but Amazon discount the paperback version to e.g. £4.38 but are not allowed to set the ebook price at a discount so it ends up being more than the paperback.

Ok that makes sense. I forget they reduce the price of the books.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Still think they should be cheaper though :D:giggle2:

Ahh I hadn't realised it was the advert version. However just being on the screensaver and main menu I'm not sure if I would mind. Also good point about checking if it works with a .co.uk account. I could use a .com account and a US address, but that seems an extra level of fuss and the money saved would need to make it worthwhile.

I heard on the radio (so no idea if true) that Amazon are investigating the idea of 'renting' books to Kindles. I agree that paying more for an electronic version than a paper one seems odd and not worthwhile, but if I could rent it for a few weeks for much less than either the printer or electronic cost I would be much more interested.

Ahh I hadn't realised it was the advert version. However just being on the screensaver and main menu I'm not sure if I would mind. Also good point about checking if it works with a .co.uk account. I could use a .com account and a US address, but that seems an extra level of fuss and the money saved would need to make it worthwhile.

I heard on the radio (so no idea if true) that Amazon are investigating the idea of 'renting' books to Kindles. I agree that paying more for an electronic version than a paper one seems odd and not worthwhile, but if I could rent it for a few weeks for much less than either the printer or electronic cost I would be much more interested.

I believe that you can rent books on the Kindle in the US, not in the UK yet. Amazon are also expected to launch a library borrowing service very soon, again in the US first.