Recommend me a book. I have only three requirements.

Hi, everybody

I hope you can recommend me a book that satisfy my three requirements listed below:

- represents innovative idea

- has unpredictable finale

- and is not full of annoying cliches

I made a little retrospection about the last five books that I have read and the conclusion was that four of them represented simple idea which I have heard about somewhere, sometime, in two of them I successfully guessed "who the killer is" or in other words how the book would end. In all five most of the phrases exchanged by the characters sounded like banal TV series. Only in "Poltic" things weren't following the path covered by cliches. I didn't get the whole idea but the spectacular final made me feel completely compensated.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Reading your requirements, 'The Philosophers Apprentice' by James Morrow might be a good one, it definitely represents an innovative idea and I doubt anyone could guess the ending! It really makes you think.

For another really good book which is very difficult to tell the ending to, I'd recommend Carlos Ruiz Zaphon's 'The Shadow of the Wind' which is one of my favourites :)

For something different, I'd suggest trying The Stone Raft by Jose Saramago. Can't remember it being at all predictable and it was definitely thought provoking, and I felt it was an innovative idea too.

Saramago is my fave :D I have The Stone Raft as well....but haven't gotten to it yet, but it is on my night table :D

• 2 weeks later...