Wicked - Gregory Maguire

Polka Dot Rock

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

The blurb:

An astonishingly rich re-creation of the land of Oz, this book retells the story of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, who wasn't so wicked after all. Taking readers past the yellow brick road and into a phantasmagoric world rich with imagination and allegory, Gregory Maguire just might change the reputation of one of the most sinister characters in literature.

I've been intrigued by Wicked ever since I saw an American import version recommended in a bookshop. It really appealed to me as although I love the classic film musical, I

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great review! I've had it on my 'things to read' list for the last few days :D ..I've only been dipping in to the 'easy' threads!

I love the term 'delicious sourness' it sounds really appealing!

I've never really been a big fan of Oz, but you've certainly turned my head to thinking I may pick up Wicked in the future! ..plus.....I hope you don't mind but I've emailed your review to Johnny as Wicked is something that he's interested in; he's recently read the other books.

Thanks for a great review xx

WOW, that is an amazing review! Well done, you really put some hard work into that. Wicked has been on my TBR pile for awhile, but it just got bumped to the top!

Aw thank you! What a lovely thing to say! (It did take me an hour to write the damn thing :D )

You'll have to let me know what you think, once you've read it :)

• 8 months later...

Toto was definately an animal. There are no Animals in our world and he is from our world. However I don't know if Belina was an Animal. She didn't show any signs of being one, and surely by the time Return to Oz is set then all Animals would have forgotten how to talk?

Wicked --> Wizard of Oz / Son of a Witch (they happen at the same time) --> All other Baum books (including those that make up the movie Return to Oz

• 2 years later...

This book wasn't my favorite but it was okay I liked the musical more than the book. This book did explain alot of things that where in the wizard of oz but wasn't explained. The musical was so different was the book. The tin man got his start differently from the book and the movie and the wicked witch of the East had something else wrong with her.

This book wasn't my favorite but it was okay I liked the musical more than the book. This book did explain alot of things that where in the wizard of oz but wasn't explained. The musical was so different was the book. The tin man got his start differently from the book and the movie and the wicked witch of the East had something else wrong with her.

I agree with you 100%. The musical is one of my favorite musicals/stories so when I went to read the book I had very high expectations. Maybe that was the problem. :17:

I loved Wicked and proceeded to love its sequel Son of a Witch even more; so much so that I've got my sight set on a snazzy leatherbound edition that collects them both, and am regretting not buying A Lion Among Men (Book 3) when it was out in hardback for all of

• 2 months later...

I read this in January and it is ABSOLUTELY brilliant! I feel like there are many layers to this book and I think that I could read it in a few years time and get even more from it :) I'm never giving this book away.

A friend told me that the book is nothing like the musical.

• 2 months later...

Some of us are reading this book for the Rory Gilmore Challenge and I thought I'd bump this thread up.

Did you know that there's a sequel to Wicked, called Son of a Witch? I was just on goodreads and realised the story continues after Wicked...

I have A Lion Among Men but not Son of a Witch. :) Looks like I have more book shopping to do. :)

I'm currently reading the second part of Wicked and I'm enjoying it a lot more than the first part.

A threquel as well? Oh boy... :) I have a feeling the library does not have those books... I'm going to do some investigating. And I think I need to finish the book before I decide whether I want to read the sequel and threquel as well.

Just like Kylie, I'm enjoying the second part a lot more than the first one, I'm really getting into the story and the characters :)

Edit: Sowwy dear library, I didn't mean to be so harsh! They're actually getting the sequal as we speak! :)