Kate Morton fans, who to try next?

I'm coming to the end of the last Kate Morton novel and I'm looking for a similar author to try. I've read the majority of the Philippa Gregory novels, enjoyed a couple of Barbara Erskine, Jodi Picoult,also Atonement,Bird Song and Labyrinth . I'm not into chick lit books though.

Any suggestions?

I liked Kate Morton's first one The House at Riverton, and I have The Forgotten Garden to read. Love Barbara Erskine, have you read all her books? It's difficult to know what to suggest next though. What is your favourite style?

If you go on Amazon, they quite often suggest an author similar to the ones you have been reading, might be worth having a look on there? I've found quite a few new authors that way that I wouldn't otherwise have heard of or thought of reading.

Daphne du Maurier might appeal to you though. Have you read Rebecca? Best book ever :)

I've only read Morton's The House of Riverton so far, but I loved it. I really recommend you read The Novel in the Viola by Natasha Solomons - it's quite a similar setting but a different story altogether. I loved that too! :)

Thanks for the recommendations. I've not read Rebecca, I keep meaning to expand some of the classics. I have read and enjoyed Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. I'll try Natasha Solomons novel too, I've not come across that before.

I'm not sure what my favourite style is. I do like history and in particular the Tudor period so have exhausted all the Philippa Gregory ones of that period, I have also enjoyed books relating to witchcraft - Hiding from the Light, Barbara Erskine, and a book about The Witchfinder General but I can't remember the author. I've enjoyed all the Kate Morton novel, I like the to and fro between present day and the past.

I suppose I've got lots of Barbara Erskine to get through as I've only read about three. For easy reading I do enjoy Maeve Binchy.

Just to update, I've started reading The Savage Garden as it's been on my shelf for nearly two years but today I've also bought The Winter Ghosts (Kate Mosse)and The Novel in the Viola.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've not read Rebecca, I keep meaning to expand some of the classics. I have read and enjoyed Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. I'll try Natasha Solomons novel too, I've not come across that before.

I'm not sure what my favourite style is. I do like history and in particular the Tudor period so have exhausted all the Philippa Gregory ones of that period, I have also enjoyed books relating to witchcraft - Hiding from the Light, Barbara Erskine, and a book about The Witchfinder General but I can't remember the author. I've enjoyed all the Kate Morton novel, I like the to and fro between present day and the past.

I suppose I've got lots of Barbara Erskine to get through as I've only read about three. For easy reading I do enjoy Maeve Binchy.

Hi Dove, you might enjoy Mist Over Pendle which has recently been re-published. Great novel of witchcraft. I can't remember who wrote Witchfinder General, I will have a look around and see if I can find out. Also, talking of witchcraft, there are two good books out at the moment: The Heretic's Daughter and The Lost Book of Salem and they have been reviewed on here.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dove, you might enjoy Mist Over Pendle which has recently been re-published. Great novel of witchcraft. I can't remember who wrote Witchfinder General, I will have a look around and see if I can find out. Also, talking of witchcraft, there are two good books out at the moment: The Heretic's Daughter and The Lost Book of Salem and they have been reviewed on here.

Thanks for those recommendations, I'll check those out. I've just finished The Novel in the Viola and thoroughly enjoyed it so I need a new read.

Thanks for those recommendations, I'll check those out. I've just finished The Novel in the Viola and thoroughly enjoyed it so I need a new read.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) As I read, I could see it being acted out as a Sunday night TV drama! :giggle2:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I love Kate Morton too. Have you read her most recent novel, The Distant Hours? It is probably my favourite of the three she has written.

I see that you've already read The Thirteenth Tale, which would have been one of my recommendations. As a KM fan, others that I'd recommend are The Unseen by Katherine Webb (I've just finished this and I LOVED it), The Observations by Jane Harris and Hothouse Flower by Lucinda Riley.