Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've received two books in the mail in the last couple of days:

Jennifer Egan: A Visit from the Goon Squad

Sylvia Beach: The Letters of Sylvia Beach

I started the Sylvia Beach book straight away because I've been hanging out for it to be released in paperback for ages. :) I'm also nearly halfway through The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

I've received two books in the mail in the last couple of days:

Jennifer Egan: A Visit from the Goon Squad

Sylvia Beach: The Letters of Sylvia Beach

I started the Sylvia Beach book straight away because I've been hanging out for it to be released in paperback for ages. :) I'm also nearly halfway through The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

Holy moly, I'm so jealous! Let me know how you like the letters :) I saw the Goon book at the bookstore yesterday, I was tempted but ...

I read another 40 pages of Crippen last night, I'm so hooked :smile2:

Finished The Welsh Girl and started Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean by Justin Somper

Did you like the Welsh Girl chesilbeach? I've had this book for quite a while now and I haven't felt like picking it up yet.

The Book People came in yesterday and I bought the complete boxed set of Inspector Morse for £12! :D (plus a cookery book and a lovely book on British wildlife). I'm still enjoying The Interpreters and should finish it later today.

Its ridiculous I have a voucher to spend on Amazon and have become crippled with indecision as to what to get, when I buy on impulse I have no problem at all...............what to do I can't even make up my mind from my wish list. :rolleyes:

Did you like the Welsh Girl chesilbeach? I've had this book for quite a while now and I haven't felt like picking it up yet.

Yes I did like it a lot. I'll write a proper review over in my book blog later on, but it was a different view of the second world war than I've read before, and I really enjoyed it.

I've just finished William Blacker's Along the Enchanted Way, and it's a book I'd recommend very highly.

When his family home has to be sold due to financial problems in the late 1990s, William Blacker decides to leave the UK and ends up in rural northern Romania. Along the Enchanted Way recounts the story of his life among the peasants there, living an existence that has barely changed in hundreds of years. It's a tale of the rhythm of the seasons, of Blacker's friendships with both the kind-hearted Romanian people and the exotic but wild Gypsies, and of a love affair that has unexpected, dangerous consequences.

It's a well-written book that evokes the sights, sounds and even smells of a landscape that had remained almost untouched by the modern age until the very end of Blacker's narrative, when "civilisation", with all its dubious benefits, begins to impinge on this tranquil lifestyle.

Fed, as we are, on a tabloid media diet that portrays all Romanians as beggars, thieves and scroungers, Blacker's book captures perfectly the generosity and simple nobility of the Romanian people, who welcome this odd stranger into their homes and their lives.

I know poppyshake has read this , too, and I certainly think it's one of the best travel books I've read. It really is worth looking out for.

Hi Bobbly

Good to hear you are still enjoying the 11/22/63 book . I started it today,so will see if I can keep on task and get caught up a little bit .You probably have a big head start on me .

Started The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies this morning. I only know it's set in WW2 so have no idea what to expect. Very good start though!

I have this as well and have contemplated starting it....do let me know how you like (or don't) it?

I have read Welsh Girl and remember enjoying it.

I'm a third way through Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson and really enjoying it.

Just finished it this morning....brilliant read....hope you enjoy it as much as I did :readingtwo: