Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read much after the last few days as I've been busy with other things but I am going to get into bed tonight and finish off A Boy's Own Dale by Terry Wilson. Its a library book and I was enjoying it immensely, I read three quarters of it in one night, put it down and then tried to read again the next day but couldn't get back into it, however, I think that was my mood. So I shall finish it tonight and start on "Billy Brown, I'll tell your mother" next

Started Bertie Plays The Blues, the latest in the 44 Scotland Street series by Alexander McCall Smith.

Just realised that it's been over a MONTH since I bought a new book! I've been reading off my TBR list and catching up with some library books, and haven't had time to browse the Kindle store for a while, so feeling pretty pleased (and yet somehow distinctly disappointed) with myself. Still, if I can reduce Mount TBR over the next couple of months, I will be able to indulge without guilt over the Christmas break :giggle2:

I've now started A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickins. I've had it on my Kindle for a while, and was going to save it for Christmas, but gave in to temptation. :rolleyes:

I love, love, love this book! Have you read it before?

Claire - I've been reading from my 'to read' pile too. And I've stopped going into charity shops (which has been really hard) in an effort to reduce my pile. I did by a book from Amazon last week, but that's for the Reading Circle on here, so that's allowed!

Claire - I've been reading from my 'to read' pile too. And I've stopped going into charity shops (which has been really hard) in an effort to reduce my pile. I did by a book from Amazon last week, but that's for the Reading Circle on here, so that's allowed!

I'm doing the same, the only book I've bought in the last fortnight is the Ultimate Teen Book Guide for my older two as we are having trouble deciding which books will be suitable for them to read, without me reading them first anyway!

I am now 2/3 of the way through The Blasphemer but hubby due home for a week after 7 weeks in the Middle East so don't think I'll be finishing it this week, a shame as I am really into it now.

Just read in the Eeatern Daily Press (a regional newspaper)about a book coming out on the 24th October called Black Shuck - The Devil's Dog by Piers Warren it is about the legend of the large Black Dog that has haunted the East Anglian Coast for centuries.

Doesn't it sound wonderful, I can't wait........... and Blakeney is just a few miles up the coast from me.........fantastic.

I have heard the legend of the Black Dog the author has not made that up...if you encounter it in the dark you are not supposed to look directly at it even if it walks beside you for a time..if you do something terrible will happen to you or someone close to you. :huh:

In the last couple of days I've read 2 brilliant books! :D

Before I Go To Sleep - S J Watson

and

Red Leaves - Thomas H Cook

They had received good reviews from people on here and I'd definately highly recommend them both. :readingtwo:

No, never read it before, but I have seen the movie (can't remember which version) many many times. Growing up it was a bit of a Christmas tradition to watch it on TV. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm surprised by how short it is. I don't think it's an abridged version, but for some reason I thought it was going to be quite a big book. Maybe because it's a classic, and I've always thought of most classics as being quite hefty books.

and

They had received good reviews from people on here and I'd definately highly recommend them both. :readingtwo:

I read Red Leaves recently and loved it. Glad you enjoyed it - it was very moving, wasn't it?

I admit to being pleasantly surprised, after reading several reviews on here I decided to get out of the library The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stief Larsson I had wondered about it previously, so taking the plunge, wow, I love the characters and the way they are shaping up and it is very well written.

No, never read it before, but I have seen the movie (can't remember which version) many many times. Growing up it was a bit of a Christmas tradition to watch it on TV. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm surprised by how short it is. I don't think it's an abridged version, but for some reason I thought it was going to be quite a big book. Maybe because it's a classic, and I've always thought of most classics as being quite hefty books.

I read Red Leaves recently and loved it. Glad you enjoyed it - it was very moving, wasn't it?

I read A Christmas Carol for the first time last year and loved it, I too was amazed at how short it was and how easy it was to read! Hope you continue to enjoy it. :)

I think it must have been your review I read about Red Leaves! thank you :smile2:

It was very moving yes and I spent most of my time with bated breath! It was so well written.

Edited by pipread

and

Looking forward to S J Watson's Before I Go to Sleep. Been hearing lots of good things about it.

It's not very long at all. I only read it for the first time three Christmases ago, but I've re-read it each December since. I love the various film versions I've seen (not the Muppet one) - I think the musical one with Frank Finlay - Scrooge - is my absolute favourite. :)

I love 'Scrooged' too!

Hi all

I'm just gonna jump in here since I'm not up to date with everyone's latest reading .This is a really long thread to catch up to !

I started a new book called Killing Lincoln that I bought last week,which is pretty good. It is told in a little different way, telling of his last 6 weeks before he was killed ,so it is telling in detail what was happening with the ending of the Civil War ,etc ..... a little dry in spots, but you almost don't want to keep reading because you know of the ultimate outcome and wish it would have ended differently .

Kinda like reading IN COLD BLOOD -- you know at the beginning that something REALLY bad will be happening and you wish you could do something to stop it,but you can't .

Anyhow, why I did this I don't know, but I went to the library today and came home with an armload. How I will get them done is beyond me ,and why I thought I NEEDED reading material, I don't know either ....

So,I may set aside the Lincoln book to get to some of the library ones. Will try them out to see if they sound good .

Edited by julie

I bought the lovely Vintage edition of Stella Gibbons' Conference at Cold Comfort Farm today. :)

Now that I'm back at work I'm actually managing to read a few pages per day of Erica Heller's (Joseph Heller's daughter) autobiography called Yossarian Slept Here.

Anyhow, why I did this I don't know, but I went to the library today and came home with an armload. How I will get them done is beyond me ,and why I thought I NEEDED reading material, I don't know either.

We all, or at least most of us, do this ... buying books or borrowing them when we already have shelves full of books at home waiting to be read. It's a bit of an illness :giggle2:

I'm about three quarters of the way through Natasha Solomons Novel in the Viola, it's a very easy read but though I was enjoying it hugely I'm not so much anymore :(

How many Vintage editions do you own now Kylie? I'm not jealous ... much :smile2:

I'm about three quarters of the way through Natasha Solomons Novel in the Viola, it's a very easy read but though I was enjoying it hugely I'm not so much anymore :(

Oh dear, that's a shame. :( Why have you gone off it?

How many Vintage editions do you own now Kylie? I'm not jealous ... much :smile2:

I'm not quite sure, Poppyshake, but I remember being surprised by how many I had last time...can't wait to dig them all out and line them up for another photo shoot. giggle.gif

I hope Novel in the Viola picks up again. :(

Oh dear, that's a shame. :( Why have you gone off it?

I hope Novel in the Viola picks up again. :(

Thanks :) it's not that it's rubbish or anything, it's just that I'm not as convinced by the storyline as I was. She's a brilliant writer though, very readable .. but it was promising to be quite outstanding and now it's become a bit run of the mill. It may well pick up again, I hope so :)

Kylie .. you can't wait to dig them all out!! .. I can't wait for you to dig them all out .. hurry up :giggle2:

Finished Afterlife by Douglas Clegg, which was excellent if you like psychological horror and ambiguous endings.

Reading The Distant Hours now by Kate Morton and really enjoying the creepiness.

Also just received IQ84 by Haruki Murakami on my Kindle. :smile2:

Edited by Pixie