Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, I was told I'd won a Facebook proze draw ro win a signed limited edition of The White Queen by Philippa Gregory, of which there are only 750 in existence.

It arrived this morning and is beautiful. It's #276 of 750 and bound in black goat leather (which feels and smells wonderful) with ornate gold and silver.

I just checked it out a moment ago and discovered these babies are priced t £150!!!

It is now officially my most expensive book and also, on account of it being a wonderful book and so beauitful to loko at, my favourite addition to my permanent library.

post-3572-0-05128900-1318941389_thumb.jpgpost-3572-0-28135300-1318941439_thumb.jpg

Sell it on ebay kell and buy it as an ebook! Mwahahah (evil laugh)

I think Kell would probably rather sell a kidney than that gorgeous book! :giggle2: I saw on FB that you'd won - well done, Kell. :)

Is she an author you read/like?

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie arrived today. :D I'm a little disappointed that it's a different cover from the one shown on Ebay but the book itself is perfectly readable. :)

Yesterday I started Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill. I've had this on my 'to read' pile since Christmas 2009 so it's about time I got on with it! I'm loving it - I don't know why I waited so long to read it. :rolleyes:

I've just finished Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, and am trying to decide my next non-fiction. :shrug:

It's a choice between:

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond (on my TBR pile for probably 10 years, or however long since it was first published)

The Penguin History of the World by JM Roberts (highly recommended by someone on here)

The Universe by John Gribbin

The Lying Stones of Marrakech by Stephen Jay Gould

Science: A History by John Gribbin

I think I'll sleep on it. I hate not knowing which book to read next. :irked:

I finished The Queen of Sorcery By David Eddings

I started The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Poppyshake sent me The Ambassadors by Henry James which I will attempt :giggle2: next

I got out of the library

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson as I have read loads of reviews on here, thought I would give it a go

and

Life is just what you make it by Donny Osmond this is his autobiography, I thought it could be interesting as I used to be in love with him :wink:

Edited by dawnbirduk

I read The Death Maze a while ago, Sara, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Not heard of The Emperor of Lies before, but it sounds interesting - I'll look out for it. Have a good break!

The Emperor of Lies is an excellent book. I've got it on Kindle. It is actually a work of fiction but centred around the real Jewish Council in the Lodz ghetto. Well worth reading in my opinion.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie arrived today. :D I'm a little disappointed that it's a different cover from the one shown on Ebay but the book itself is perfectly readable. :)

But surely that's not on Janet. How can you tell what you're buying if the photo isn't representative of the actual item .. did it say in the description that it was a different cover than the one shown? You should send it back and get a full refund or at the very least complain :irked:

Hope you enjoy 'Howards End is on the Landing' .. it's a lovely book :)

The Emperor of Lies is an excellent book. I've got it on Kindle. It is actually a work of fiction but centred around the real Jewish Council in the Lodz ghetto. Well worth reading in my opinion.

Thanks, Sue. I've just looked it up - not a "beach" read, for sure, but I'll definitely get hold of a copy very soon. It's a bit of a whopper too, by the look of it.

But surely that's not on Janet . How can you tell what you're buying if the photo isn't representative of the actual item .. did it say in the description that it was a different cover than the one shown? You should send it back and get a full refund or at the very least complain :irked:

Hope you enjoy 'Howards End is on the Landing' .. it's a lovely book :)

Thanks, Poppy. :)

It didn't mention it in the description, no. It did say 'stock photo' under the picture and that the picture was for illustration purposes only so it's my own silly fault - I don't use Ebay normally so I didn't realise.

I put in the ISBN quoted (after it arrived) and it brought up both the cover I wanted and the one that they sent me. At the end of the day it doesn't matter that much. This cover actually matches the only other Agatha Christie I've ever read, but the one shown was much prettier! I guess I should have sent them a question asking them - there were loads to choose from so I might have found one for the same price with the nicer cover. Never mind - I'm looking forward to reading it. :)

I finished Howards End is on the Landing. I loved it! :)

Thanks, Sue. I've just looked it up - not a "beach" read, for sure, but I'll definitely get hold of a copy very soon. It's a bit of a whopper too, by the look of it.

No definitely not a beach read :blush: but very engrossing and readable and I got through it quite quickly.

I'm still reading My Cousin Rachel - I'm taking my time to savour it because it's such a good story.

Gave up on The Soldier Son Trilogy by Robin Hobb. It's just not as good as her other series.

Reading Afterlife by Douglas Clegg. It is excellent so far and appropriate for Halloween. :smile2:

About half way through A Handful of Dust and I may finish it tonight if I get the time.

Also bought 5 other books from my local Oxfam:

Dead In The Family - Charlaine Harris

Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure - John Cleland

Perdita: The Life of Mary Robinson - Paula Byrne

Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher - Kate Summerscale

Also bought 5 other books from my local Oxfam:

Dead In The Family - Charlaine Harris

Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure - John Cleland

Perdita: The Life of Mary Robinson - Paula Byrne

Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher - Kate Summerscale

I enjoyed Mr Whicher a lot - I'm sure you will too.

Just read in the Eeatern Daily Press (a regional newspaper)about a book coming out on the 24th October called Black Shuck - The Devil's Dog by Piers Warren it is about the legend of the large Black Dog that has haunted the East Anglian Coast for centuries.

Synopsis from http://www.black-shuck.co.uk/

Black Shuck - The Devil's Dog - a terrifying new supernatural thriller

by Piers Warren set in the village of Blakeney on the North Norfolk coast.

A New Ghost Story for Halloween 2011

For centuries Black Shuck has patrolled the coastal paths of Norfolk – a spectral portent of death. But now the phantom dog is evolving into something altogether more horrifying. Gaining strength and powers by the day, Shuck has developed a gruesome appetite – a hunger he sets out to satiate ...

Wildlife film-maker Harry Lambert needs a serious rest. His best friend is dead, his wife has left him and his career is on the rocks. A spot of bird-watching on the Norfolk coast should help ... but when Harry stumbles into Black Shuck's territory, the hellhound finds the victim it was hunting for ..

Doesn't it sound wonderful, I can't wait........... and Blakeney is just a few miles up the coast from me.........fantastic.

Edited by dawnbirduk

Just read in the Eeatern Daily Press (a regional newspaper)about a book coming out on the 24th October called Black Shuck - The Devil's Dog by Piers Warren it is about the legend of the large Black Dog that has haunted the East Anglian Coast for centuries.

Doesn't it sound wonderful, I can't wait........... and Blakeney is just a few miles up the coast from me.........fantastic.

There's a song by The Darkness about that! I believe they're from Lowestoft. I've had a look but I can't say it sounds like my type of read, but if I was local I'd probably give it a try. :)

^ I should think so, yes.

Yesterday I finished Killing Floor, Lee Child which means that today I can start Lost in a Good Book, Jasper Fforde. I did try starting it at lunchtime but then everyone started talking to me ao I only got 3 pages read.

My reading mojo is coming back but I still not that keen on finishing ones that I have already started.

Hi I hope you enjoyed KILLING FLOOR. I am a huge Lee Child fan. Have read all of his books now, including his last one, THE AFFAIR, which is a prequel to Killing Floor.

I also just finished, NOW YOU SEE ME, by SJ Bolton, which is one of the most suspensful and gripping stories I have read for a long time. It is graphic in places the story based on the Jack the Ripper killings.

Dave