Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

Today I started reading A Vengeful Longing by R N Morris, the opening chapter described a woman being poisoned (this is not a spoiler, as this is what it said on the synopsis on the back of the book), it describes the woman thoughts feelings and panic as the poison takes hold, very descriptive and well written.

Synopsis from Goodreads - Hailed with glowing reviews , R. N. Morris's The Gentle Axe borrowed Porfiry Petrovich of Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment to create a wholly new, hauntingly authentic novel of suspense. A Vengeful Longing, Petrovich's next outing, is even more engrossing. As the laconic investigator follows a trail that begins innocently with a box of chocolates, he is drawn deep into St. Petersburg's squalid heart. Aided by Morris's effortless prose, readers are immersed in the stifling world of nineteenth-century tsarist Russia and treated to an unforgettable rendering of a brutal time and place that will ensnare every fan of sophisticated historical fiction

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I finally finished Treasure Island last week and have to be honest, I didn't enjoy it much. I got very confused around the action scenes and just couldn't follow it until about 10% from the end, when things slowly started coming together.

Moved straight on to Cave by Ali Cooper - who also wrote The Girl on the Swing - which I'll admit I preferred. Cave was a good read but much of the story was told through multi-layered flashbacks which to me didn't always seem necessary to the story. The main character, Marty, was exactly likeable either, so in the end I wasn't too bothered whether he survived his ordeal in the "Cave" or not! I'd still read more by Ali Cooper, though, simply because I like the way she writes (just not the plot structure on this one).

Have just started White Fang by Jack London... really enjoying it so far :readingtwo:

Have just finished Desires of the Dead, I thought it was a great read, even better than The Body Finder, looking forward to The Last Echo next April and book 4 is planned for 2013, happy days! Off to bed now to read the second in JR Wards Black Dagger Brotherhood series, night all!

I finished 'Boy's Life' - Robert McCammon.

I thought it was a highly intelligent book. Captivating, with some suspense. At the same time it was without pretense - a book about life, simple as that. Engaging main character. It did come across as a bit autobiographical, but then again, I don't know much about Robert McCammon.

Hah, a quick wikipedia check has now convinced me that it was highly autobiographical. Still, great. Good sentence structure, great use of language, poetic at parts. Every scene he described, I was right there with him.

edit: stuck it on my favourites shelf.

Edited by Hyzenthlay

I received a few books in the mail yesterday:

Mark Dunn: Welcome to Higby

Leon Edel: Bloomsbury: A House of Lions

Jon Lellenberg et al: Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters

Also, Mum somehow ended up with one of my book fair books, which I got back the other day:

Umberto Eco: Serendipities: Language and Lunacy

:D

Edited by Kylie

I have been reading A vengeful Longing by R N Morris however I did not get on with this book, it was very long winded and slow moving, I did not relate to the characters, in the end I felt it was not improving and gave up on it.

I have been reading A vengeful Longing by R N Morris however I did not get on with this book, it was very long winded and slow moving, I did not relate to the characters, in the end I felt it was not improving and gave up on it.

Oh that's a shame Dawnbird :( I've read all the Petrovich books by R N Morris and really enjoyed them. It does take a while to get into the characterisations. Once I'd read the first ones, the rest sort of fitted like a glove - but then I love that period of history.

I've just finished The Black Madonna and have now started on The Holy Thief by William Ryan

I'm reading The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud. Its alright, I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed The Bartimaeus trilogy, its not really keeping me gripped but that might be because I just finished Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare and absolutly loved it. I'll stick with it but I hope it gets more exciting!

Popped into Waterstones today and bought The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, it is a lovely copy, definitely one to keep if I enjoy the story. Then came home and used up some Amazon vouchers, I ordered -

Lover Awakened and Lover Revealed - books 3 and 4 from the Black Dagger Brotherhood series

Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia

iBoy - Kevin Brooks (for my son)

Alone on a wide wide sea - Michael Morpurgo (for my daughter)

How I escaped my Certain Fate - Stewart Lee (for my husband)

Finished The Night Circus. SO good! One of my favorites that I've read in quite some time! Highly recommend it!

I started reading Pulp by Charles Bukowski. My first Bukowski! And I'm really enjoying it. He's the original Chuck Palahniuk! So funny!

I've been reading the Kresley Cole Immortals series and am up to Demon From The Dark at the min. :)

I am not sure which but one of these I have an extra copy which you are most welcome to I think it might be the last in the series...glad you are enjoying them ...oh guilty pleasures :D

Finished The Dolce Vita Diaries and thoroughly enjoyed it, although all the recipes made me hungry (especially as most of them were veggie), but still haven't had time to get a copy of The Ambassadors for the reading circle yet, so started Witch Child by Celia Rees.

So I read a few short stories from a collection of what do they call them 'Urban Fantasy' and have downloaded the new Rizzoli and Isles: Tess Gerritsen - The Silent Girl onto my kindle and I look forward to collapsing in bed tonight to read it :D