Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

Last night I finished reading An Unhallowed Grave by Kate Ellis, a brilliant read, I then started A change in Altitude by Anita Shreve after reading several reviews but couldn't get into it, so am now starting The Mesmerists Apprentice by L M Jackson.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's going to be one of those "D'oh" moments, but what is AHWoSG?!

Hehe :D It's Dave Eggers's A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. And no, I haven't touched it since my last post :giggle:

I finished reading The Radleys by Matt Haig last night. The ending was something completely unexpected, I admit I cried. I had to give it a 4/5 instead of 3/5 because of that.

I have just finished Anno Dracula - Kim Newman it started slowly but then I got embroiled in the plot which features a Victorian London where the widow Victoria has married Count Dracula, neither feature until the end but its a case of spot the name of either real or fictional characters. Set mainly in Whitechapel it does of course concern the hunt for the 'Ripper'. Dark and engrossing it explores this seedy underbelly of London, characters from the original Bram Stoker play real roles and you learn of their fate as they failed to vanquish the Count as per the book. Author Kim Newman has other subsequent books though I understand they are not sequels, will go and check them out I think.

I started cataloguing a few of my books from the book fair today, and I bought 3 more. :)

Edward Albee: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Henry James: The Portrait of a Lady

Philip Gooden: The Story of English

I started cataloguing a few of my books from the book fair today, and I bought 3 more. :)

Edward Albee: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Henry James: The Portrait of a Lady

Philip Gooden: The Story of English

Good luck with the Henry James it might be one of the few books I have never been able to finish :D

Good luck with the Henry James it might be one of the few books I have never been able to finish :D

I echo that Pickle - HJ books are not the easiest of reads. However, The Turn of the Screw was a pretty jumpy ghost story. :o

I am most of the way through Pale Demon - Kim Harrison loving it, I have been good all week and not picked up the kindle and spent money...at least I won't until tommorow when it PAYDAY!!!!!!!!!!:D

So I finished Pale Demon - Kim Harrison when I took an impromptu half day and lay in the garden enjoying this glorious sunshine...not sure what to read next I do have a Scarlett Thomas book which I might delve into later

Still working my way through A Place Called Armageddon by Chris Humphreys.... and still loving it. I keep having to re-read paragraphs because I just love how they're written. Definitely my favourite thing about this author is his ability to reduce epic historical events, treated with such detachment in textbooks, down to the individual, emotional people that underly them. I keep forgetting that the fall of Constantinople really happened, that although this book is a work of fiction, these people lived and fought and felt and died and that this account is as plausible as any other. And it really makes you think. History should be taught with books like this.

Definitely my favourite thing about this author is his ability to reduce epic historical events, treated with such detachment in textbooks, down to the individual, emotional people that underly them. I keep forgetting that the fall of Constantinople really happened, that although this book is a work of fiction, these people lived and fought and felt and died and that this account is as plausible as any other. And it really makes you think. History should be taught with books like this.

you are so right it does make a real difference to how things are taught to have an emotional attachment to the period being described, one of the best text books I read which unfortunately came out after I had finished my degree was a book on the Neolithic called 'Ancestral Geographies of the Neolithic' it put people and places into a real context and interspersed them with vinettes of how it may have been in a time so remote from ours. there are only a few others which I have found subsequently which also do this, although strictly speaking not fiction archaeology text books can only rely so much on the evidence as by its nature a lot of it deals with a time before the written word....oooops sorry lecture over.

I started Scarlett Thomas's - Our Tragic Universe this morningh and its good, she does write in such an interesting way and her characters are although not strictly speaking likeable they are well drawn.

Finished Odd Thomas (what a moving end)loved it though,was a great book and will be reading the rest of the series.

Now after a long time away from Rolands quest for the Dark Tower I am after probably 8 yesrs or after when I read Wizard and Glass (book IV) I have finally got around to reading book V Wolves of the Calla. I debated wether or not to start again with the first four books in the series but opted for just diving right back into wolves.Luckily I have retained much from the first 4 books so shouldn't be a problem.