Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

I needed to rearrange all my bookcases and I'm having serious problems with getting all the books back in again, in a nice and organised way. I hate it that my books vary so much in size. The hardbacks are driving me crazy.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got home to a package from Amazon. The Earth Hums in B-flat- Mari Strachan and Syren- Angie Sage so decided to start The Earth hums in B-flat instead

I hope you enjoy The Earth Hums in B-Flat, I read it last year and thought it was alovely little story.

I downloaded American Vampire (Vampire for Hire #3) the first was very cheap on the Kindle and the latter two less so even so I really enjoyed the story and its an example of why I don't always agree with the reviews on Amazon who lave pretty much slated the thrid. Its a continuing series and I will continue to buy and follow, will try and get the time to do a proper review on my thread.

Also reading A Cold day for Murder which was a free download, crime set in Alaska and not bad either :D

Well, there's nothing like a change, I always say ...

I've just realised how bad those two book titles sound together! I think its just because I always just grab the next book off the shelf!

In other book related news I have done no reading this weeked :( I have been away and have just not had any time to read! hopefully I will rectify that one today.

I do have some books that I am posting away to new homes though!

I'm now 200 ish pages into 'game of thrones' & I'm hooked :-)

Yay!! Fantastic! I'm looking forward to re-reading him again.

As for me. Hmm. Well I haven't had the time for a mojo. I have only managed 20 pages of The Bone Song. It is isn't gripping me. Yet there are nothing but good reviews. Maybe becuase I don't have a mojo I'm not wanted to get into it? I don't know.

But I went to m,y kids' Boy Brigade fate and they had a huuuge book stall and I came back with so many books. Some I realised I hve already.whoops.

SHUTTER ISLAND - DENNIS LEHANE ( I have heard so many reviews about this book and sounds right up my street.

THE CHEMISTRY OF DEATH - SIMON BECKETT

THE REDBREAST - JO NESBO

THE UPRISING - SCOTT G MARIANI (vampire blade style)

CONIN IGGULDEN - THE LORDS OF BOW

CONN IGGULDEN - WOLF OF THE PLAINS

EMPIRE ARROWS OF FURY - ANTHONY RICHES

I think I have gained other books since last being on here but I can't remember which ones! :giggle2:

Also @ CHARM....... The Discovery of witches is available to be picked up today at my library!!! Whoop. Is it a big book? As I want a fairly small book t take away to Scotland. :blush:

Edited by catwoman

Yay!! Fantastic! I'm looking forward to re-reading him again.

As for me. Hmm. Well I haven't had the time for a mojo. I have only managed 20 pages of The Bone Song. It is isn't gripping me. Yet there are nothing but good reviews. Maybe becuase I don't have a mojo I'm not wanted to get into it? I don't know.

But I went to m,y kids' Boy Brigade fate and they had a huuuge book stall and I came back with so many books. Some I realised I hve already.whoops.

SHUTTER ISLAND - DENNIS LEHANE ( I have heard so many reviews about this book and sounds right up my street.

THE CHEMISTRY OF DEATH - SIMON BECKETT

THE REDBREAST - JO NESBO

THE UPRISING - SCOTT G MARIANI (vampire blade style)

CONIN IGGULDEN - THE LORDS OF BOW

CONN IGGULDEN - WOLF OF THE PLAINS

EMPIRE ARROWS OF FURY - ANTHONY RICHES

I think I have gained other books since last being on here but I can't remember which ones! :giggle2:

Also @ CHARM....... The Discovery of witches is available to be picked up today at my library!!! Whoop. Is it a big book? As I want a fairly small book t take away to Scotland. :blush:

Sorry your mojo is messing about hun, mine can't decide whether it wants to be with me or not atm, I did manage a few pages last night ;)

Great haul at the BB! You could always start a book swap thread here to switch your double copies?

About The Discovery Of Witches ... in a word yes. If it's the hardback, it is a pretty big book. The paperback is not so bad ;) Brilliant book though!

Have a great time in Scotland and no peeking under kilts! :giggle:

First ever post in the book activity thread and I'm having a pretty good reading day!

Finished off The Great Gatsby today. I felt really uneasy while reading it, but I suppose that's probably exactly how Fitzgerald wanted the reader to feel. It's the kind of book I'd like to read again, I think I'd get even more from it on a second reading, but not for a while.

I've also started The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Only about 11% in on my kindle and finding the biblical parts a bit strange. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet but I've been wanting to read this book for a while so I'll definitely stick with it.

I finished A Life Like Other People's today, which I found an uncomfortable read at the beginning and the end, but cheerful in the middle!

Decided I need to try and make a dent in the number of real books on my TBR shelf instead of going for an ebook, so I've started Nature's Numbers by Ian Stewart which is all about numbers and patterns in the natural world (e.g. that the number of petals most flowers is a number on the Fibonacci sequence).

Managed to get some reading done on my lunch break today and am now 2 thirds through 'game of thrones' and it's just got better n better it's great :)

Decided I need to try and make a dent in the number of real books on my TBR shelf instead of going for an ebook, so I've started Nature's Numbers by Ian Stewart which is all about numbers and patterns in the natural world (e.g. that the number of petals most flowers is a number on the Fibonacci sequence).

Hey chesilbeach, I read Nature's Numbers in April and it is an interesting read. I hope you enjoy it! I happen to work in the same building as Prof. Stewart at the moment. Have his latest book to read, Mathematics of Life, which I hope is better. :)

Managed to get some reading done on my lunch break today and am now 2 thirds through 'game of thrones' and it's just got better n better it's great :)

Good to hear, I have Game of Thrones ready to begin, my personal plan is to start it after seeing the 10th episode. :)

Currently making my way through a few books, focusing on Soulless by Gail Carriger, a light, humorous read.

Started The Ghost Writer by John Harwood last night

I hope you are enjoying it, Sofia. I thought it was excellent. One of my favorite reads of this past year. :D

I hope you are enjoying it, Sofia. I thought it was excellent. One of my favorite reads of this past year. :D

I am really glad to hear that.....I am only a couple pages in, but I was skeptical about even starting it

I am really glad to hear that.....I am only a couple pages in, but I was skeptical about even starting it

It has a very gothic feel to it, and if you like that, you should enjoy it. :)

An author e-mailed me today about a not very positive review I wrote of his book. Not sure whether to reply or what

Was the author polite in the e-mail, or giving you a hard time about your review?

I'm just curious. :)

Was the author polite in the e-mail, or giving you a hard time about your review?

I'm just curious. :)

Generally polite, just a bit defensive, I suppose I understand but I don't know what he was expecting me to do about it.

Sorry your mojo is messing about hun, mine can't decide whether it wants to be with me or not atm, I did manage a few pages last night ;)

Great haul at the BB! You could always start a book swap thread here to switch your double copies?

About The Discovery Of Witches ... in a word yes. If it's the hardback, it is a pretty big book. The paperback is not so bad ;) Brilliant book though!

Have a great time in Scotland and no peeking under kilts! :giggle:

Yep it's the Hardback! D'oh. To be honest. Now no Laughing Charm. I was reading it while walking back to the car, and because I was engrossed I banged into a lampost.!!!! I SAID NO LAUGHING CHARM!!!!!! :giggle2::blush:. So I don't think I will be able to wait till scotland! Lol.

As for the doubles I gave them to the Boys Brigade and said they can resell them at the next fate.

Me not looking up a kilt. Pfft. Why do you think I'm going!!???!!!! Steph willbe worse then me though. The little Minx!!!! :o

First ever post in the book activity thread and I'm having a pretty good reading day!

Finished off The Great Gatsby today. I felt really uneasy while reading it, but I suppose that's probably exactly how Fitzgerald wanted the reader to feel. It's the kind of book I'd like to read again, I think I'd get even more from it on a second reading, but not for a while.

I've also started The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Only about 11% in on my kindle and finding the biblical parts a bit strange. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet but I've been wanting to read this book for a while so I'll definitely stick with it.

I have The Great Gatsby on my wishlist as it is on the LOST book list. One of my library book club friends readi ti and said that it was one to re-read to full appreciate it.

As for m

An author e-mailed me today about a not very positive review I wrote of his book. Not sure whether to reply or what

Oh dear, makes you think doesn't it. I never take into account that that might happen. But they can't expect everyone to like their book. What did they say Lucybird?

My mojo is playing hide and seek with me.

Come out, come out wherever you are!

Not again! Maybe the talking to I gave it wasn't strong enough? Or you could try bribery? :JC_cookies:

Yep it's the Hardback! D'oh. To be honest. Now no Laughing Charm. I was reading it while walking back to the car, and because I was engrossed I banged into a lampost.!!!! I SAID NO LAUGHING CHARM!!!!!! . So I don't think I will be able to wait till scotland! Lol.

As for the doubles I gave them to the Boys Brigade and said they can resell them at the next fate.

Me not looking up a kilt. Pfft. Why do you think I'm going!!???!!!! Steph willbe worse then me though. The little Minx!!!!

:o Who me? ...Laugh? ...Never! :angel_not: ......... I really would have paid good money to see that!! :haha:

As for Scotland, you're supposed to be the responsible one, ... wait, ....what am I thinking? :doh: Someone really should warn Scotland you two are coming!! :giggle2:

I've read The Great Gatsby a couple of times, and I agree that it's one you can re-read to get more from. I know I'll be reading it again in future.

I look forward to hearing what the think of The Master and Margarita. I've had this book for a few years now and I'm finally planning on reading it in the next month or two for of a book club show on TV here. :)

Ooh, this sounds really interesting! I may have to add this to my wishlist.

I'd like to read this one day, but the size is rather daunting!

Generally polite, just a bit defensive, I suppose I understand but I don't know what he was expecting me to do about it.

Geez, it must have been a shock to receive an email from the author. I understand why he feels the need to defend his book, but somehow I think it's a bit...inappropriate (for lack of a better word). He must know that negative reviews come with the territory. I wonder if he responds to every single negative review he receives? It just seems a bit pointless because an author is never going to please all of the people all of the time.

If you don't have anything to say in response, then just ignore it. It's not your responsibility to stroke his ego and make him feel good if you honestly didn't like his book. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh on the author (I would take criticism too much to heart myself if I was an author), but you shouldn't feel bad. :friends0:

Point out that if he doesn't like being reviewed, he really shouldn't be publishing books?!

I bought a few books today and received a couple in the mail as well. :)

Clare Allan: Poppy Shakespeare (I already have this but wanted a paperback)

John Banville: The Infinities

Vladimir Nabokov: Invitation to a Beheading

Dan Rhodes: Gold

Miriam Toews: The Flying Troutmans

I also finally finished reading a book: Look at Flower by Robert Dunn. I also read more of both Sourcery and The Graveyard Book.

All in all, a successful day of book activity. smile2.gif

Edited by Kylie