Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

Chesil has nicked all our mojo's :giggle2:

:icon_oops: Sorry 'bout that :blush:

I've just realised it's my book group meeting this week, so I have a book to read this weekend - A Life Like Other People's by Alan Bennett. I've read the first 50 pages, and I've already blubbed twice :cray: Our other book choice is Nigel Slater's Toast, but I've already read this, so I might just have a skim through it to refresh my memory about it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Charm must have found my mojo. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I started on Baudolino by Umberto Eco, which I was afraid I would find difficult and boring, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

I will keep looking for yours, Charm. :)

Thanks Pixie! :friends3: I'm so glad yours is coming back (I had a quiet word with it :theboss: ) Mine must have overheard while hiding, I managed to read about 90 pages today of my current read :D It's actually pretty good, which is why I'm annoyed my mojo left in the first place! :blush:

Chesil has nicked all our mojo's :giggle2:

Although I want to read I'm lacking motivation right now, I know it is down to things going on in my life right now so hopefully it will resolve itself in the next few days :(

I hope things settle down for you and your mojo swiftly returns! :hug:

I am finding it hard to read a book at the mo.

Hope you get your mojo back soon lovesreading ;)

I've just received Pretty Birds by Scott Simon, a novel set in the 1990s Balkan wars. To quote the blurb:

In the spring of 1992, Irena Zaric is a star on her high school basketball team - a tough, funny teenager who has taught her parrot, Pretty Bird, to do a decent imitation of a ball hitting a hoop. But while Irena rocks out to Madonna and shoots baskets with her friends, her beloved Sarajevo becomes a battleground. When the violence and terror of "ethnic cleansing" against Muslims begin, Irena and her family, brutalized by Serb soldiers, flee for safety across the river that divides the city.

If once Irena knew of war only from movies and history books, now she knows its reality. She steals from the dead to buy food, dodges bullets in her own home, and risks her life to communicate with an old Serb school friend. But soon, under the tutelage of a cast of rogues and heroes, Irena becomes a sniper - leading to complex and cataclysmic consequences for herself and those she loves.

Reading Astrid Lindgren's "Seacrow Island". I am in love with the TV-series that was created before the book was written, and the book is almost exactly the same as the series and the movies. A summer idyllic atmosphere, about an island in the Swedish archipelago where few people live all year around, but is visited more by tourists in the summer. Among them the Melkersson family. I am just IN LOVE with "Seacrow Island". :smile2:

I noticed on some forum or other an author called Christopher Fowler and his Bryant and May London based detective fiction. I have downloaded "Full Dark House" and it looks good. Try some of your voucher on this.

I haven't actually done any reading today, but I have had some book activity ... I've been downloading freebies again :blush:

Graveyard Games by Sheri Leigh

Lissie by Bilinda Ni Siodacain

Samson's Lovely Mortal (Scanguards Vampires #1) by Tina Folsom

Her Vampire Husband by Michele Hauf

The Blood That Bonds by Buecheler

I've never heard of any of these authors, but the blurbs didn't look too bad. Some light entertainment hopefully to bring my mojo back ;)

Well, took me a while but with my £20 gift certificate I ordered -

The Novel in the Viola - Natasha Solomons

Afterwards - Rosamund Lupton

The Beach Hut - Veronica Henry

The Return of Captain John Emmett - Elizabeth Speller

Uglies - Scott Westerfield

Now I just need to spend more time reading than buying!!! :giggle2:

I am now reading Lesley Pearse 'Never Look Back', it is over 700 pages, I have read a lot of her books, and they are all brilliant, but this one is absolutely the tops

Mum and I went book shopping today. There was a sale at a local secondhand bookshop to celebrate their 3rd birthday (there was cake!). I was very well-behaved and bought only 2 books, while Mum bought 6. I bought the 7th Lemony Snicket book to plug a gap in my collection, and Eva Luna by Isabel Allende.

I'm still reading Baudolino by Umberto Eco and it's still good, but it's so difficult to read at the moment as something exciting and nerve-wracking is about to occur very soon.

Finished my re-read of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone yesterday and finished my review book Dragon's Pupils: The Sword Guest- Martin Chu Shui today. One was good, one not so good

Think I will start Darkly Dreaming Dexter when I get home

I am trying so hard not to dowload the whole of my wishlist onto the kindle as I want to save it for the holidays so I have been ploughing my way through the freebies on Amazon, nothing amazing so far, bit nothing too terrible either.

Not had chance to read at all this weekend...yet. Hope to read a bit later though. Did pick up a copy of 'The narrows' Michael Connelly at a car boot yesterday for 50p though :)

I finished reading The Help - Kathryn Stockett this morning, what an incredible book I nearly went through a box of tissues by the time I got to the end! I felt such a range of emotions and the characters seemed so real I couldn't help but feel for them.

Now I've just started Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell I've never read this before but I'm told it's very good. :)

Not had chance to read at all this weekend...yet. Hope to read a bit later though. Did pick up a copy of 'The narrows' Michael Connelly at a car boot yesterday for 50p though :)

Ooh, coincidence! My Mum book the same book yesterday. :)

Now I've just started Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell I've never read this before but I'm told it's very good. :)

Oh, I hope you love this as much as I did!

I spent a lovely morning rearranging my books and then curled up with my kitty on the lounge to read Look at Flower while it rained outside. Bliss! biggrin.gif

I spent a lovely morning rearranging my books and then curled up with my kitty on the lounge to read Look at Flower while it rained outside. Bliss! biggrin.gif

Awww, the best of times! :smile2:

I finished Gerritsen's Body Double last night and started reading Vanish.