Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

You're just daunted by the size of the task you've set yourself. Sell some books, reduce the burden and feel the joy of reading once again!

I think I should buy more books to try and entice my mojo back. :yes:

I guess our mojos wanted to meet each other and have a vacation together, we are too exhausting hosts to them :blush:

Nice of them to invite us along. :irked:

Shut it, you devil's advocate.

:haha:

^ Wrong term, you should read more!

Are you sure, Raven? Wikipedia defines devil's advocate thus:

"In common parlance, a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with, just for the sake of argument. In taking such position, the individual taking on the devil's advocate role seeks to engage others in an argumentative discussion process."

I reckon you're seeking to engage me in an argument and that you're taking a stance you don't necessarily agree with, just because you like to tease me! :P

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boyfriend surprised me with four new books :wub:

Chris D'Lacey > The fire within

Chris D'Lacey > Icefire

Gemma Malley > The Declaration

Gemma Malley > The Resistance

The first two books are ones that I've already read but wanted to have my own copies for quite a while now.

Besides, you seem to be under the misguided impression that I was joking!

You must have been joking. No person in their right mind would seriously suggest that I get rid of books! The very thought is just...just...huh.gif

I've not yet read it. I HEARD it wasn't as good as "The Glass Castle," but I'm betting I'll probably pick it up at some point just to see what I think. :) Have you heard any reviews one way or the other?

I haven't...and I don't know anyone who has read it either. I have had it in my hand a couple times at B&N, but I couldn't justify paying full price for a book I was unsure about. Now, if I happen to come across a copy at a booksale somewhere, then I definitely will grab it

I have read so many books since I last posted on here and at some point I am going to have to review them on my page but at the moment the task is daunting, suffice to say the 6 or 7 books I downloaded onto my kindle for the hols was not enough and I needed to get a few more. :D

It's been a bit of a crazy week so far so I haven't gotten a ton of reading in, but I've managed to get up to about page 60 of The Seance. Things have just taken a bit of a turn so I'm excited to see what happens!

I finished a book by Kader Abdolah called 'De Koning' (The King, his latest work) and am currently reading 'Meisje met de scheldnaam' by T. Mateboer which is about a teacher in the '60's who gets a job in a small village where she faces many narrowminded people as well as kind and understanding people. It gives a fascinating impression of Holland in those days, the way people talked and behaved and what was considered out of line, mostly things which we consider normal nowadays. Though not very well known, I get the impression it would be a nice read during holidays for Dutch people who are thinking about taking books with them. Right now I'm in the 4th chapter of the book, can't say anything about the rest of the book at this point.

I found this writer while actually looking for a different book (Maeterlinck), the title caught my eye and so far it's been worth reading. This webpage provides some info about Mateboer: http://www.depelgrim.nl/contents/nl/d1758_T._Mateboer_.html. I was surprised when reading about his life, since I never heard about him before while he had led such a productive life. Interesting character.

suffice to say the 6 or 7 books I downloaded onto my kindle for the hols was not enough and I needed to get a few more. :D

So I noticed! :o

I'm making slow but steady progress through Cold Comfort Farm. I haven't read much in the past few days, but my pace is picking up again.

You're just daunted by the size of the task you've set yourself. Sell some books, reduce the burden and feel the joy of reading once again!

Ravens comments yesterday distressed me so deeply I had to go book shopping today to cheer myself up:

Fiction

EF Benson: Mrs Ames

Joyce Dennys: Henrietta Sees it Through

Paul Gallico: Mrs Harris Goes to Paris

Poppyshake will recognise these three books as part of the Bloomsbury Group series. What a bonanza! I couldn't believe my luck to find these. :D And all very cheap, too.

Franz Kafka: The Complete Novels

China Mieville: Looking for Jake and Other Stories

Jonathan Stroud: Bartimaeus #4: The Ring of Solomon

Daniel Waters: Passing Strange

Non-Fiction

Lynne Truss: Making the Cat Laugh

Lynne Truss: Tennyson's Gift

These don't really count because I have them in a larger volume of Truss' work already.

Ian Stewart: Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities

:D

Ravens comments yesterday distressed me so deeply I had to go book shopping today to cheer myself up:

Hahaha, that ought to shut him up, but I fear it won't! I can't say that I recognise many of the title's on your haul though. :blush:

I'm going to drag a friend to a secondhand bookshop today, to do some comfort shopping.

And tomorrow's excuses may include any or all of the following:

- But there was a "Y" in the day!

- I breathed in some oxygen!

- I found out the Earth orbits the Sun!

- A lItTLe kITtEn PuRreD iN mY eAr . . .

Edited by Raven

Daniel Waters: Passing Strange

That's a good choice, Kylie. I really liked the whole series. :) Do you have/did you read the other books?

I heard they are thinking of creating a book hoarding show, Kylie. You could be famous! Better get ready if the producers come knocking at your door ;):lol:

I read quite a bit of The Seance last night and a few pages this morning when I was up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep.

:lol:

I have to get my shots in when I can!

Hahaha, that ought to shut him up, but I fear it won't! I can't say that I recognise many of the title's on your haul though.

I'm going to drag a friend to a secondhand bookshop today, to do some comfort shopping.

Aww, so no comments then? That's OK. I guess our interests can't be similar all the time; that would just be scary. unsure.gif

I hope your comfort shopping goes as well as mine did!

And tomorrow's excuses may include any or all of the following:

- But there was a "Y" in the day!

- I breathed in some oxygen!

- I found out the Earth orbits the Sun!

- A lItTLe kITtEn PuRreD iN mY eAr . . .

Excellent, Raven! Thanks for your assistance. I'll be sure to use some of those excuses in the future. (What's with the weird lettering of the last excuse?)

See, I knew you were really encouraging me all this time. You were using reverse psychology weren't you? I can't believe I didn't realise earlier. doh.gif

That's a good choice, Kylie. I really liked the whole series. :) Do you have/did you read the other books?

Thanks! I have the first book but haven't read it yet.

I heard they are thinking of creating a book hoarding show, Kylie. You could be famous! Better get ready if the producers come knocking at your door

For real? Cool! I better get cracking and buy some more books just in case. ;) I don't want to embarrass myself by having empty spaces on my shelves. Thanks for giving me another excuse to buy more books. giggle.gif

I'm not saying you have too many books, but local astronomers have been complaining about the lensing effect of your apartment.

Where is the "like" button, dammit?! :D