Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am about to start reading Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier. Really looking forward to it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it. Have you read any of her other historical novels? Jamaica Inn is excellent

I've now got to around halfway through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - and it's still a bit slow! I had been warned it takes a while to get into so I'm still hopeful.

Persevere you won't regret it, it is brilliant

I've now got to around halfway through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - and it's still a bit slow! I had been warned it takes a while to get into so I'm still hopeful.

I found the same with all 3 of the books in the trilogy. Slow to get going but once they did I raced through the books in no time at all.

Blazed through the rest of Lustrum by Robert Harris today, fantastic book. I wish he would hurry up with the next one in the series.

I've received this book a few days ago, but I was still reading another one, so.... But tonight I can finally start with this one: "One Minute to Midnight" by Amy Silver. The cover is gorgeous, I love the setting, so I can't wait to read it! :-)

I read a few chapters from Blue Monday (and I will read some more later in the evening), I worked at the bookstore, and I am now studying some books for my history class.

I finally finished reading Bleak House this morning. Goodness it took me a long time. It's a long book anyway and some of Dickens' sentences are so long and convoluted that they take several readings to unravel. Good book though - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edited by Dr Bill

I am about to start reading Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier. Really looking forward to it.

And I'm looking forward to hearing what you make of it :)

What an enormous contrast between the last two books I've read: Crippen, which is now officially in my top 2 reads of the year, and just recently finished A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, easily one of my least favorite reads this year.

I'm not sure what to read next, but will probably go for one of the other books that I'm in the middle of and which I've been neglecting for a month or so.

I started to read Moby Dick in English. I'm a bit struggling with some of the long sentences and I have to look up many words, which are about ships or whales and, mostly, archaic.

But, as I'm reading the Kindle version, it did automatically download the Oxford Dictionary. And that makes it really easy! Just mark the word and you have an istant explanation! :jump:

Dr Bill

Glad to hear you liked Bleak House .That is on my pile for the coming year .I have loved all the Dickens books so far . He's long-winded, like me .... can rattle on and on before getting his point. Also like me . :D

Frankie

Don't blame you a bit for not liking the Heartbreaking Work book . It was awful . Maybe not the writing,but the subject matter and the way the author seemed to talk about it and deal with it . Seemed very off-color to me .

Edited by julie

I started to read Moby Dick in English. I'm a bit struggling with some of the long sentences and I have to look up many words, which are about ships or whales and, mostly, archaic.

But, as I'm reading the Kindle version, it did automatically download the Oxford Dictionary. And that makes it really easy! Just mark the word and you have an istant explanation! :jump:

Wow, that's really handy. One of the perks of reading an e-book version for sure! :smile2:

I finished it yesterday and it was amazing. It really lived up to my expectation.

I can't believe you already finished it, that was really quick! :D I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it that much, I can't wait to read it myself.

Frankie

Don't blame you a bit for not liking the Heartbreaking Work book . It was awful . Maybe not the writing,but the subject matter and the way the author seemed to talk about it and deal with it . Seemed very off-color to me .

I can imagine why some people would like his writing, but in my opinion it was pompously pretentious and the way he kept going off-topic was really annoying :rolleyes:

I'm reading 'IQ84' Books 1 and 2 by Haruki Murakami and 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin (I read it before but I had no book for my journey home last week and 'The Passage' was the best book in a very bad bunch.) :)

After a fourth attempt at reading it, I'm a little more than midway through Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves - and loving it. :) Read a few more chapters today, currently scared out of my wits.

Wow! I know how difficult the book is supposed to be, so I'm happy to hear you've dived in and are more than half way through, and enjoying it as well. I'm looking forward to hearing what you make of it in the end :)

I finished At Bertram's Hotel , you can't beat a good Agatha Christie for pepping up your mojo :) I also read The Hobbit over the weekend, I'd forgotten loads of it as it's so long since I read it & I'm now reading Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl.

I finished another book that I've been reading for over a month, I'm happy :) It was a great book of satirical ideas, thoughts and ponderments by a Finnish (IMO) genius, Markus Kajo. Very pleasurable and funny read, once again. But I'm very relieved that now I have one less book I'm in the middle off.