Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

I have hit a reading slump of late. :( I have made a tentative start on 'The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd' by the fabulous Agatha Christie. I read and adored this book many years ago, so I may need to start a book that is new to me, maybe that'll shake up my flagging reading mojo.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But at least you're re-learning it now!

I received Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 in the mail today. Exciting times!

3.gif3.gif3.gif

My copy arrived the other day and can you believe it Kylie?, I haven't started it yet! I ordered Book 3 yesterday :)

3.gif3.gif3.gif

My copy arrived the other day and can you believe it Kylie?, I haven't started it yet! I ordered Book 3 yesterday :)

:D I haven't started mine yet either. :( Well, I read the first couple of sentences, but I have zero time to read these days. Still, I'm determined to fit it in!

I've just applied to give away books on World Book Night next year. I've asked for The Damned United as I plan to give away books to customers at William Hill's. Don't you think Books From The Bookies sounds fabulous?

Just finished my eighth encounter with Keith Waterhouse.

The Bucket Shop (1968) was his fourth novel and not quite up to the standard of the previous three (This Happy Land and Billy Liar are particularly great). It's all a bit too familiar. The hero is a decidedly unheroic philanderer and proprietor of an unsuccessful junk shop. He moves from one casual affair to the next and at one point (rather like the hero of Billy Liar) finds himself stringing along two women at the same time, besides his wife. It's very nicely written and often very funny but feels a bit dated now. Kingsley Amis was the chief exponent of this kind of thing but Waterhouse was at least his equal and probably easier to read (and less chauvinistic).

Not been online for the last couple months. But now all up and running and ready to join in again :)

Until this week I haven't picked up a book for nearly a month. I'm now reading A Storm of Swords

I'm reading A Beautiful Mind by Sylia Nasar. It may be interesting to the mathematical scholar, but most of it goes way over my head. Huge hunks of it cover very complicated mathematical theories.

John Nash may have a beautiful mind as far as maths goes, but I can't find much sympathy for him as a person. He comes across as very arrogant, snobbish and at times cruel. The book makes the observation that he displayed contempt for people or things he considered beneath him, which covered a lot of territory.

Edited by poppy

I finally got the rest of my books shelved yesterday (:)), which meant adding two more bookshelves to one of my cases. It now has the same number of shelves as the rest of the bookcases in my library and looks much better. My library is almost completely full now! I only have room for maybe half a dozen more books. I still have to tidy them up a bit before I can take pics though...

In other book news, I'm restraining myself from reading 1Q84 until I can finish Yossarian Lives Here. Oh, and I helped my Mum set up and register her new Kindle, and I gave her several books for her birthday (real books).

Over the weekend I finished David Gemmell's Waylander II, which was very good, and last night I started Dracula. I've owned it for years - can't believe I've never read it until now :rolleyes:

I finally got the rest of my books shelved yesterday (:)), which meant adding two more bookshelves to one of my cases. It now has the same number of shelves as the rest of the bookcases in my library and looks much better. My library is almost completely full now! I only have room for maybe half a dozen more books. I still have to tidy them up a bit before I can take pics though...

Holy heck Kylie :lol: Hurry up with the tidying, people want pics!!!

In other book news, I'm restraining myself from reading 1Q84 until I can finish Yossarian Lives Here. Oh, and I helped my Mum set up and register her new Kindle, and I gave her several books for her birthday (real books).

Your Mum's got a Kindle?! :giggle: Hehehe! :)

I've started yet another book. Lately I keep starting books but I never seem to finish one. I think I have 7-8 books on the go now. This is so not me :huh:

Edited by frankie

I am almost at the end of my current book by Keri Arthur which I got from the library this weekend, so I though I would pop onto Amazon and have a look at whether the next one is out yet thinking that I might have seen it, and there it was, thought I would have a quick look at the review and loo and behold it has ruined whats probably the climax of the book so yay thanks Mr reviewer for giving away a big spoiler.

Holy heck Kylie :lol: Hurry up with the tidying, people want pics!!!

All right, all right. Stop nagging, woman! :P:giggle:

Your Mum's got a Kindle?! :giggle: Hehehe! :)

Yep, and I'm jealous! She seems to quite like it, despite her general aversion to technology.

I've started yet another book. Lately I keep starting books but I never seem to finish one. I think I have 7-8 books on the go now. This is so not me :huh:

Aww, I hope you can find one that sticks. Maybe you need to re-read an old favourite to get back in the mood?

I got a $50 Dymocks book voucher in the mail yesterday (with my credit card reward points), so I think a shopping trip is in order. :)

I've just finished Anno Dracula, and I must say it was a great read as Neil Gaiman says "it was the first mash-up of literature, history and Vampires" a must read if you like weird :D

Yep, and I'm jealous! She seems to quite like it, despite her general aversion to technology.

Has she had it for long? Did I know about this? I'm so going to write to her about it and giggle.

Aww, I hope you can find one that sticks. Maybe you need to re-read an old favourite to get back in the mood?

Last night I realised that the main reason why I'm going through so many books at a time is that they are all non-fiction. This wouldn't do if they were fictional novels. However, I feel like I can't start a normal novel before I've read the Transworl Book Group books, which should be arriving this week. Hence the non-fiction.

I got a $50 Dymocks book voucher in the mail yesterday (with my credit card reward points), so I think a shopping trip is in order. :)

Goody goody :smile2:

I went to shop for an outfit for a wedding. Didn't find anything, bought 9 books instead. :blush: