Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

I guess this is where we post our current book being read. I am reading a book called

TRAVELS WITH TED & NED by THEODORE HESBURGH .

I read it once before several years ago .It's about 2 priests who retire (who were top-notch officials of some kind at Notre Dame College) ,who decide to go on a road trip,which turned into an air trip,boat trip,and a little bit of every other mode of transport . The first part took place here in the states,mostly the western part ,which I have never been to,so it tells a lot about the scenery out west .Now they have gone to South America,so I am learning a little more about what it must look like down there .

Kinda like the TV show "Amazing Race ",without the other teams and prize money ! :D

Hi all

I guess this is where we post our current book being read. I am reading a book called

TRAVELS WITH TED & NED by THEODORE HESBURGH .

I read it once before several years ago .It's about 2 priests who retire (who were top-notch officials of some kind at Notre Dame College) ,who decide to go on a road trip,which turned into an air trip,boat trip,and a little bit of every other mode of transport . The first part took place here in the states,mostly the western part ,which I have never been to,so it tells a lot about the scenery out west .Now they have gone to South America,so I am learning a little more about what it must look like down there .

Kinda like the TV show "Amazing Race ",without the other teams and prize money ! :D

Is it a true story Julie?

I finished reading Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst by Lois Lowry. I've started reading Yossarian Slept Here by Erica Heller. With all the articles around the place about Catch-22's 50th anniversary, I have a real desire to re-read the book, but I have so much else going on! :(

Is it a true story Julie?

Hi Vodkafan

Yep, it's a true story,written kinda like a daily travelogue ..You guys are probably familiar with Bill Brysons' books,since he is from here AND there. This book is written kinda like a lot of his travel ones are,except this one doesnt have any funny parts .

I'm reading A Girl Like You by Gemma Burgess, chick lit, about a 27 year old who is flung into the world of dating after being in a relationship for 7 years and gets tips from her new flatmate in how to date like a man. So far so good, light hearted and funny.

Finished White Fang by Jack London last week - and was very impressed with it. A bit disturbing at times experiencing abuse through the eyes of an animal, but loved London's writing style. Also read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irvine at the weekend and was decidedly disappointed by it. Beautiful prose, but thin storyline that ended abruptly before it really got started. Perhaps there was some deeper meaning to it's structure, if so it passed me by!

I'm currently reading Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper. A true story about a blind cat and his owner. So far it's had me laughing, cringing and unashamedly crying! Looking forward to finishing it, but will miss the eponymous hero, Homer, when I do!

I'm still reading The ring of soloman by jonathan stroud. It seems like I've been reading it forever. Its not that the book isnt good but I've got lots of other books id prefer to be reading so this one seems to be going slow. Plus I've notlong finished the Bartimaeus trilogy so its been a bit of a Bartimaeus overload which gets a bit saming. Its not helped that I left the book at work this after nooon either, hardly going make any head way by doing that :rolleyes:

My next book is Her Fearful Symmetry which I'm a bit dubious about but I hope I enjoy it!

I'm still reading The ring of soloman by jonathan stroud. It seems like I've been reading it forever. Its not that the book isnt good but I've got lots of other books id prefer to be reading so this one seems to be going slow. Plus I've notlong finished the Bartimaeus trilogy so its been a bit of a Bartimaeus overload which gets a bit saming. Its not helped that I left the book at work this after nooon either, hardly going make any head way by doing that :rolleyes:

My next book is Her Fearful Symmetry which I'm a bit dubious about but I hope I enjoy it!

I'm one of the peeps that really enjoyed Her Fearful Symmetry, hope you do too!

I've had little time to read the last few days so I'm off to bed now to get on with To Kill A Mockingbird, enjoying it so far. My 12 and 10 year olds are showing interest in it too, which is unusual for them as they normally like to stay in the age related comfort zones. I'll finish it before I decide whether it is suitable for them.

Edited by chaliepud

Finished Voices by Arnaldur Indridason yesterday - this is the 3rd in his Reykjavik murder mysteries series and imo the best yet. It is always nice to read books set in a place that you are familiar with. The trouble is it always makes me want to go back to Iceland again, when I am saving up for a trip to Scilly next year. I have now started another free book that I got from the Kindle store - Rain Song by Alice J Wisler - so far its okay, if a little slow to get going. Next on the list is a Nigerian book - Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away by Christie Watson. The reviews are good, as was the sample chapter I downloaded first, so I am looking forward to that.

I received several books in the mail today:

Chris Baker and Jacob Hansen: The Elements of F***ing Style: A Helpful Parody

Thomas Kenneally: Australians: Origins to Eureka

HG Wells: Ann Veronica

HG Wells: A Modern Utopia

:)

went to a library booksale today....came away with some great bargains

All of these were just 25 cents each:

Alias Grace-Margaret Atwood

The Bluest Eye-Toni Morrison

Daughter of Fortune-Isabel Allende

Neither Here nor There-Bill Bryson

I Am David-Anne Holm

A Walk in the Woods-Bill Bryson

As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised as a Girl-John Colapinto

Emma_Jane Austen

These were 2 bucks each:

Nickel and Dimed: On(not)getting by in America-Barbara Ehrenreich

The House at Riverton-Kate Morton

The Redbreast-Jo Nesbo

Half Broke Horses-Jeannette Walls

Mennonite in a Black Dress-Rhoda Janzen

Nickel and Dimed: On(not)getting by in America-Barbara Ehrenreich

Nickel and Dimed is a truly excellent book, Sofia, and probably even more relevant today than when it first came out a few years back.

I started 'Cloudstreet' by Tim Winton :bookworm:

Another top book, Weave - I won this as part of a set of five Tim Winton books, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely.

Alias Grace-Margaret Atwood

Neither Here nor There-Bill Bryson

A Walk in the Woods-Bill Bryson

Alias Grace is a great read, probably my favourite Atwood. And of course I can't fault Bill Bryson for anything. He's fantastic!

I'm getting towards the end of Mockingjay, and to be honest I just can't wait for it to end. :rolleyes: I don't particularly like the main character anymore - she's a bit irritating. :giggle:

Nickel and Dimed is a truly excellent book, Sofia, and probably even more relevant today than when it first came out a few years back.

I've had it on my 'want' list for quite awhile....I may read it next

Alias Grace is a great read, probably my favourite Atwood. And of course I can't fault Bill Bryson for anything. He's fantastic!

I've only read The Handmaid's Tale, and loved it; I've yet to read anything by Bill Bryson, but look forward to it