Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading Forest Mage by Robin Hobb, the second book in the Soldier Son trilogy. It's not bad, but I'm not making much headway. Too excited about other things at the moment. :giggle2:

I have hardly stopped reading since I got my Kindle 6 weeks ago - I am on my 11th book already. I have just finished one about a woman in the 1920's in domestic service (how glad I am that things have changed, as in some ways my own job is the equivilant of that), and I am now reading one about life as a checkout girl, which is a job I used to do.

Am finally starting To Kill A Mockingbird.

Oh enjoy it....it is a wonderful classic. I reread it last year after treating myself to a copy, also bought the dvd with the wonderful Gregory Peck in the lead rold...great stuff.

Still reading 'The Help' should have finished it ages ago as it is a good read. Must finish soon before the movie comes out as I want to go see it.

Received from the lovely Chrissy 'Before I go to sleep' by S J Watson and the cutest Animal Bookmark, Bertie Bear....looks so cute sitting on the top of the book keeping the place :giggle2: .

Finished reading "Step on a crack" by James Patterson and now 30 pages in to "Run for your life" by James Patterson. After reading "Private", I just can't get enough of James Patterson! Simple reading I suppose. Nice for a change.

Recently finished "Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman, that was awesome.

I am not sure which but one of these I have an extra copy which you are most welcome to I think it might be the last in the series...glad you are enjoying them ...oh guilty pleasures :D

Aw fanks! But I think I have them all except Lothaire which is out next year. Now if you had a spare copy of Lothaire, I'd be very interested! :lol:

So I read a few short stories from a collection of what do they call them 'Urban Fantasy' and have downloaded the new Rizzoli and Isles: Tess Gerritsen - The Silent Girl onto my kindle and I look forward to collapsing in bed tonight to read it :D

Looking forward to hearing what you think of this, I've recently finished The Killing Place and really enjoyed it and definitely want The Silent Girl :)

I have just finished Swan Song by Robert McGammon

That's my favourite by McCammon.

Half way thru Barry Unsworth's Sacred Hunger set in 1752 about a surgeon's first voyage on an Africa bound slave ship.

finished Tess Gerritsen = Silent Girl, loved it and read one of Lara Adrian's Breed series as they appear to be cheapish in the Kindle store but I still remain ambivilent about them...so now I am searching for something to read tonight....

I've taken a pause on the Clarke, since it's so large and hard to hold up in bed :lol: I took up Broken by Kelley Armstrong and am a little over halfway finished.

I also ran to 1/2 Price Books over the weekend and found The Radleys by Matt Haig for only $3.00! I'm really happy since I've been wanting to read it for awhile now :)

I've been slacking off again the last few days because I've been doing a lot of art and what not. I'm going to my parents for three days on Wednesday though, so I'll take a book with me and get cracking.

I received a couple of books in the mail today:

Jeff Deck and Benjamin D Herson: The Great Typo Hunt

Erica Heller: Yossarian Slept Here: When Joseph Heller was Dad and Life was a Catch-22

I also received Postcards from Ladybird - a collection of 100 postcards showing covers from classic Ladybird books. They're rather cute!

I have had difficulty sleeping so stayed up and finished The Armada Boy by Kate Ellis, now I am to re-reading Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings, book 1 of the Belgariad, I just love fantasy books with maps in. I think it is fantastic how the author can invent a whole world, peoples, animals and community, it must take an awful lot of doing building a world from scratch, and making it so believable.

Just this second finished Zoo Station by David Downing, about an English journalist working in Berlin on the eve of WWII. I enjoyed it a lot, although it wasn't quite as tense as I thought it was going to be.

Haven't decided what to read next, although it may be either The Owl Killers or The Drawing of the Dark.

I've just started Anno Dracula by Kim Newman so far so good

I have just finished this loved the wierdness of it. Keeping an eye out for some of his other stuff now

Haven't decided what to read next, although it may be either The Owl Killers or The Drawing of the Dark.

The Owl Killers is good, I have read A Company of Liars by the same author. Learnt a lot about the time period which I didn't know (and I am glad I wasn't born then either)

Trying to be good at the moment as I have been overspending on books a lot recently so trying for some of the freebies on Amazon for my kindle. So far only passable books downloaded I know I will be tempted to spend if it doesn't get better soon.

The Owl Killers is good, I have read A Company of Liars by the same author. Learnt a lot about the time period which I didn't know (and I am glad I wasn't born then either)

Yeah, A Company of Liars was okay, although I didn't think it was as good as it could have been - I can't exactly remember why, I just remember being a little disappointed when I finished it.

Yeah, A Company of Liars was okay, although I didn't think it was as good as it could have been - I can't exactly remember why, I just remember being a little disappointed when I finished it.

I loved her descriptions of the characters and the hardships they suffered and the difficulties encountered during the plague. I thought the nitty gritty was well described and the sheer horror of dying in such a horrible way ( I have seen plague pits through work though not excavated any myself). The mystical elements when not tied into superstition were a little odd but ok. I was reading The Gallows Curse when the library wouldn't let me renew it and I had to give it back unfinished.