Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

Finished Room by Emma Donoghue yesterday - and can say it's a book that will stay with me for some time as the narrator is so unique. I find myself using some of his quaint terminology for things - like "meltedy spoon" (I have one of those in my kitchen!). Thanks here to whoever here recommended it! :D

I've put the Kindle to one side and have reverted to an actual paperback for the first time in months. I'm re-starting Ross Raisin's "God's Own Country" now... so far, so good.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 100 pages (about a quarter) into A Place Called Armageddon, by C. C. Humphreys, and I am absolutely LOVING it. The writing style is, of course, exactly the same as Vlad, but this book is bigger and more epic (being about the fall of Constantinople.)

I have to say, even after reading Vlad, I knew little of Sultan Mehmet II beyond his involvement in Vlad's life in youth and later in battle. I also knew little, to my shame, about Constantinople. This book is padding out my knowledge wonderfully and I can say with sincerity that my interest has expanded from Vlad's life to the lives of many, many great political figures, their lives and wars in that time. As soon as I'm finished this book, I'm going back and re-reading Vlad, because I know this book is going to only going to enrich it. Even 100 pages in, I can say with absolute certainty that these books should be read as a pair.

I decided to be a good girl today and visit the library to pick up spme books rather than relying on my kindle, its the week before pay day I need to stop spending

So I picked up a couple I have read before (I never mind re-reading) but also Scarleyy Thomas's Our Tragic Universe, A book called Anno Dracula and Kim Harrison's Pale demon ( I have the others for my wn but I need to economise but I might still get it to make the set up).

I finished Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes yesterday - the best book I have read by far this year and one that I suspect I will be thinking about for a long while to come. I am off to Cornwall tomorrow and have downloaded 3 more books to my not so new Kindle (I have had it for a whole month now) - The Kindest Thing by Cath Staincliffe, That Summer in Ischia by Penny Feeny and Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys - all very different books. I am not sure which one to start next, but I suspect it will be the Russian one, although The Kindest Thing sounds good, and is a subject quite close to my own heart - it is about a woman who helps her terminally ill husband to end his life and ends up being charged with murder.

Finished reading God's Own Country by Ross Raisin this morning and I really enjoyed it. Unique narrator who is deeply troubled with a dark sense of humour. It's set in the Yorkshire moors and the dialogue is interspersed with Yorkshire dialect, which takes a bit of getting used to - but after a while you don't notice it so much. I read it quickly (for me) as it was a gripping read. Definitely one worth recommending if you don't mind something slightly disturbing!

I'm now back with Treasure Island and hopefully I'll be able to finish it this time...

I've almost finished 'Covet: A Novel of the Fallen Angels' ~ Book 1 by J. R. Ward And I bought from amazon ~ Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist & Envy: A Novel of the Fallen Angels (Novels of the Fallen Angels~Book 3) by J. R. Ward :bookworm:

Woohoo! I finished a book today. I can't remember the last time I finished a book. :D What's more, it was the interminable Reading Lolita in Tehran.

Wohoo, high five! :lol:

I've started reading The Radleys by Matt Haig. I found it in the library, quite surprisingly, and it's a quick loan, meaning have only two weeks to read it so had to start it immediately. Liking it, although nowhere near as much as The Last Family in England. No surprise there, TLFiE is superb. :smile2:

I am really enjoying my re read of 'Syren'. Of all the books in the Septimus Heap series, I can remember very little of this one, despite it being the last one I read.

It also seems to be fanning the embers of my reading mojo, so I want to read more. :D

Wohoo, high five! :lol:

I've started reading The Radleys by Matt Haig. I found it in the library, quite surprisingly, and it's a quick loan, meaning have only two weeks to read it so had to start it immediately. Liking it, although nowhere near as much as The Last Family in England. No surprise there, TLFiE is superb. :smile2:

Oh Frankie, I've had to add TLFiE to my wish list, I really quite enjoyed The Radleys and on seeing TLFiE is all about dogs I just have to read it!! :dog:

I finished Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes yesterday - the best book I have read by far this year and one that I suspect I will be thinking about for a long while to come. I am off to Cornwall tomorrow and have downloaded 3 more books to my not so new Kindle (I have had it for a whole month now) - The Kindest Thing by Cath Staincliffe, That Summer in Ischia by Penny Feeny and Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys - all very different books. I am not sure which one to start next, but I suspect it will be the Russian one, although The Kindest Thing sounds good, and is a subject quite close to my own heart - it is about a woman who helps her terminally ill husband to end his life and ends up being charged with murder.

I have The Kindest thing on my TBR list.

Let me know what you think. I think it sounds fab.

I also have Into the Darkest Corner on my TBR list.

I started one of my library book this morning before work Anno Dracula - Kim Newman, the concept is good Queen Victoria marries for a second time and its Count Dracula, London is filled with both vampires and humans the main characters from the original Bram Stoker are there or at least mentioned and its set during the time of Jack the Ripper, unfortunately I had to read the first page twice and its a bit wordy at the moment, I will carry on for a bit but its going to have to improve really which is a shame.

Oh Frankie, I've had to add TLFiE to my wish list, I really quite enjoyed The Radleys and on seeing TLFiE is all about dogs I just have to read it!! :dog:

If you enjoyed Haig and love dogs, I promise you won't be disappointed with TLFiE!! It's one of the best doggy books I've ever read :smile2: I would also recommend Marley & Me by John Grogan and The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein if you haven't already read them :)

I just came back from the library, I got Group Portrait with Lady by Heinrich Böll and The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler from the free book exchange trolley. Both are on the 1001 Books list so I'm very happy about snatching them!

I started one of my library book this morning before work Anno Dracula - Kim Newman, the concept is good Queen Victoria marries for a second time and its Count Dracula, London is filled with both vampires and humans the main characters from the original Bram Stoker are there or at least mentioned and its set during the time of Jack the Ripper, unfortunately I had to read the first page twice and its a bit wordy at the moment, I will carry on for a bit but its going to have to improve really which is a shame.

Queen Victoria marries Count Dracula?? :lol: I realise it's fiction and all that, but even so ....

Queen Victoria marries Count Dracula?? :lol: I realise it's fiction and all that, but even so ....

I know what can I say it looks like an interesting concept and I have read a little more its not too bad actually though very very detailed.

Finished Born Brilliant, the Kenneth Williams biography, last night - OK, but I think you get a better feel for the man if you read his own diaries and letters.

I've now picked up Chasing Darkness by Robert Crais, which is a freebie I've had lying around for a long time. I've never read any of his books, but you see them all over the place so I thought I'd give it a go.