Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss yesterday... book 2 in the Kingkiller Trilogy. I'm really loving it, and can't wait for the third and final installment to be released sometime next year!! Definitely recommend this series - it has re-awakened my love of Fantasy fiction.

Have started Room by Emma Donoghue today and have read about 13% (it's a very annoying habit of the Kindle-reader to state exactly how far they have got!) - very intrigued and think I know (sort of) what's happening. I have a feeling this one won't take me long to read even with a very busy job!! I love it when I find a can't-put-downable book :D

Just now finished read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron and what can I say? Wow! What an amazing book! I don't think I have ever read a book with better drawn characters, particularly Daniel and Fermin. I enjoyed the first 300 pages but the final 200 were incredible, full of description and suspense.

Thank you to frankie, Kylie and anyone else who recommended it x

I've just added this to my wishy-wish-list on Goodreads!!

Thank you to frankie, Kylie and anyone else who recommended it x

Aw, you're welcome! I think this is the most successful book that I've recommended to people. I don't like to recommend books too often, but everyone seems to love this one. :)

By 'someday' I did mean some day in the near future, this week probably. So no worries :)

Oh, I took it to mean in a few month's or year's time!

I've just come from the library, I bought two books from the library books for sale -cart. Also borrowed some excellent book, although goodness know when I have the time to read them.

But what did you get??

Hooray! I think you'll like it. ;)

This week I've finished simultaneously reading 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' by Gabriel García Márquez which I loved and 'Nausea' by JP Satre which was a bit of a stretch even at only 240 pages!

Then read 'South of the border west of the sun' by Murakami and true to form, anything I read by him I enjoy and have nis new trilogy 1Q84 on order for next month.

So now in the meantime I've just started the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie which should be done in a day. I'm running out of books though, I have a few I never seem to fancy but will get round to one day so maybe its time for a few of those!

Downloaded a couple of books this morning, but I've used up the last of my gift certificates now, so this should in theory be the last purchases for a little while, and I'll try to read a lot of books on my TBR without buying any more! The books I bought were:

Seagulls in the Attic by Tessa Hainsworth

Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Putrid Poison by Emma Kennedy

Also started Momentum by Saci Lloyd, as I need something not too challenging over the next couple of days.

Have started Room by Emma Donoghue today and have read about 13% (it's a very annoying habit of the Kindle-reader to state exactly how far they have got!) - very intrigued and think I know (sort of) what's happening. I have a feeling this one won't take me long to read even with a very busy job!! I love it when I find a can't-put-downable book :D

It's an excellent book, I'm happy you're enjoying it :)

Excellent decision :smile2:

But what did you get??

I got Albert Camus's The Plague (I have this feeling I'll like Camus's style) and Margaret Drabble's The Ice Age (Drabble is the author of The Millstone, of which I'm doing my thesis. Prof would be proud!). Only 40 cnt altogether.

After loving The Shadow of the Wind I've gone for a change of pace so now reading Dark Lover by JR Ward (kindly swapped with Charm) which is looking good. Unusually I also have a second (public) book on the go, Mister God this is Anna, which looks like it will be a quick but fascinating read...

Wandered into a newsagents today which often sells cheapish books, and found copies of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and The Swan Thieves, brand new for 3 euro each! I already have JS&M.N, but the copy I have is a secondhand large book with a very broken spine - perfect for reading, not the prettiest book. This new one is smaller and I got it for the cover - a beautiful black and grey-green road background. I've never read The Swan Thieves, I had totally forgotten about it, so that's a nice treat.

I'm also just starting A Place Called Armageddon by C. C. Humphreys - about the fall of Constantinople to Sultan Mehmet II. It's set shortly before his other novel Vlad which I loved, and while I despise Mehmet for defeating Vlad, it'll be fun to read more about him (and some other recurring characters by the looks of things.) Humphreys sent me this book for no apparent reason other than I enjoyed Vlad, which I thought was very nice of him. :D

After loving The Shadow of the Wind I've gone for a change of pace so now reading Dark Lover by JR Ward (kindly swapped with Charm) which is looking good.

Can't wait to see what you think of Dark Lover, hope you like it! :)

Wandered into a newsagents today which often sells cheapish books, and found copies of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and The Swan Thieves, brand new for 3 euro each!

Looking forward to seeing what you think of The Swan Thieves. Since we both liked The Historian so much, it will be interesting to see how this one goes ;)

I can't actually remember the last book I posted about in here, it must be a while since I was on here :blush: Now though, I'm reading the second book in a series I've started by Kresley Cole called No Rest For The Wicked, and enjoying it very much :D

Can't wait to see what you think of Dark Lover, hope you like it! :)

I can't actually remember the last book I posted about in here, it must be a while since I was on here :blush: Now though, I'm reading the second book in a series I've started by Kresley Cole called No Rest For The Wicked, and enjoying it very much :D

M neither one of my favourite series and Charm glad you are enjoying Kresley Cole I have read all of them, when you get to the last one can't remember what ts called don't get it I will send you I have a spare copy :D

I have just finished the last book I had on my Kindle that I am continuing with and now about to go searching for more. :rolleyes:

Had another nice bargain day today - got The Suspicions Of Mr. Whicher and Her Fearful Symmetry for 2 euro each in my local charity shop. I've heard HFS isn't much cop, but for 2 euro I thought it harmless to give it a go. It's a nice copy that was originally 17 euro, I can't complain!

I was in the minority that really rated HFS so I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

I tried reading 'Suspicions ..' but found it very very slow and gave up in the end but I know others have liked the slow pace and the details of the investigation.

Enjoy!

Did a bit more reading of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell when I got home today, and also had a book waiting for me in the mail by Alicia Silverstone called 'The Kind Diet.' Has some pretty good-looking recipes!

Had another nice bargain day today - got The Suspicions Of Mr. Whicher and Her Fearful Symmetry for 2 euro each in my local charity shop. I've heard HFS isn't much cop, but for 2 euro I thought it harmless to give it a go. It's a nice copy that was originally 17 euro, I can't complain!

I read Mr Whicher a while back and thought it was excellent. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I was in the minority that really rated HFS so I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

Same here, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Coming to the end of After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell. Such an emotional book, and I'll be sad to finish it.

We went to York today to visit our eldest DD & I picked up a few books in the charity shops

Sepulchre Kate Mosse

Flashman & The Tiger George Macdonald Fraser

The Passage Justin Cronin

The Accidental Ali Smith

I also borrowed The Bone Collector Jeffery Deaver from my DD so I was really pleased with my little haul. Reading wise I'm about halfway through The Redbreast Jo Nesbo & still enjoying it.