Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

Continuing with Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves, today. I started reading it a while ago, then abandoned it, but now I'm in the mood for creepy literature again. :)

I tried this a few years ago. I think I got about a third of the way through before the novelty wore off. Hope you have better luck with it than I did! :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspired by willoyd's book list, I've decided that I'm going to finish reading Hy Brasil by Margaret Elphinstone, which I originally started a few years ago for my library reading group, but never actually finished despite enjoying what I'd read, so I've downloaded the Kindle version today.

Edited by chesilbeach

Well, today I received through the post a brand new hardback copy of The Thread by Victoria Hislop, complete with an info sheet, but no letter. I have no idea who sent it or why because I certainly don't recall requesting it for review or entering a competition to win it (it's not my kind of thing really, although I'm ure I'll give it a go). Nice surprise, but I'm incredibly puzzled about it!

Just finished the bone collector (huge break due to house move etc)and what a twist right at the end,I never saw that coming at all.Now I can't decide what to read next,at the moment its a toss up between American Psycho or Odd Thomas?????.

Simon

Finished my re-read of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire yesterday, and read a little of Remember, Remember at the boyfriends, although only because I didn't have a book with me. Kate Morton's The Distant Hours came in the post as well so think I will be starting that today.

Oh and I ordered a copy of The Fry Chronicles, couldn't resist it half price at the book depository.

Kate Morton's The Distant Hours came in the post as well so think I will be starting that today.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of this Lucybird, I enjoyed her other books but haven't read this yet :)

I finished When God was a Rabbit a few days ago, I really enjoyed it so a big thumbs up to my friend who bought it for me as it's a book I probably wouldn't have picked up myself. I'm now reading The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo.

I've now read Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome, I quite liked it. I'm still reading AHWoSG, I have about 30 pages left, but I just can't bother with it :rolleyes: I'll finish it someday. I also started reading Eating Disorders by Suzanne Abraham & Derek Llewellyn-Jones. It's okay so far, but a bit outdated (it was published in 1992.)

I'm glad you liked Three Men in a Boat, Frankie! I can't believe you're giving up on AHWoSG with only 30 pages left! Oh well, best not to waste time if you're not enjoying it. I'm getting through roughly 2 pages of the book each day as I wait for my train to arrive. That's the only reading time I get these days. :(

I have to find some time in the next few days to update my book lists in preparation for the big book fair. :)

I'm glad you liked Three Men in a Boat, Frankie! I can't believe you're giving up on AHWoSG with only 30 pages left! Oh well, best not to waste time if you're not enjoying it.

I'm still reading AHWoSG, I have about 30 pages left, but I just can't bother with it :rolleyes:I'll finish it someday.

:wink:

I have to find some time in the next few days to update my book lists in preparation for the big book fair. :)

Ahh, the book fair <3 Have fun! :)

I finished Teacher, Teacher! by Jack Sheffield in just over a day! and have started Victoria Line, Central Line by Maeve Binchy.

I recieved The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank by Ellen Feldman in the post on Saturday too.

I've also finished sorting out my new books, so will post my list of priority reading later :)

:wink:

Ahh, the book fair <3 Have fun! :)

Yes, but I mean that someday could be so far away, and it seems almost easier to just get it over with now. :)

Thank you. :) It won't be the same without you. :(

Was walking past Waterstones today and what do I see in the window? Several copies on display of one of my favourite childhood books - The Velveteen Rabbit. I was thinking about it only a few weeks ago, and how I haven't seen it anywhere since I was a child. It's a lovely copy, big text in a lovely font on really rough paper, all the original illustrations and everything. It's exactly as I remember it. I have to admit, I teared up a little reading it just now :giggle:

Just now finished read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron and what can I say? Wow! What an amazing book! I don't think I have ever read a book with better drawn characters, particularly Daniel and Fermin. I enjoyed the first 300 pages but the final 200 were incredible, full of description and suspense.

Thank you to frankie, Kylie and anyone else who recommended it x

Yes, but I mean that someday could be so far away, and it seems almost easier to just get it over with now. :)

By 'someday' I did mean some day in the near future, this week probably. So no worries :)

Just now finished read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron and what can I say? Wow! What an amazing book! I don't think I have ever read a book with better drawn characters, particularly Daniel and Fermin. I enjoyed the first 300 pages but the final 200 were incredible, full of description and suspense.

Thank you to frankie, Kylie and anyone else who recommended it x

It's absolutely brilliant, isn't it? I'm so glad you loved it so :smile2:

I've just come from the library, I bought two books from the library books for sale -cart. Also borrowed some excellent book, although goodness know when I have the time to read them.