Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gah! How annoying. Previously looked for Hunger Games trilogy on Kindle and it wasn't available, so reserved books from library instead (£1.20 per book) and have now just come across them on Kindle book store, and have been available since early May :irked: I've already paid the £3.60 to the library for the reservations and have the books on the table next to me, but I actually prefer to read on the Kindle now, so do I go ahead and stick with the library copies, or spend the £10.95 on the Kindle versions???? :dunno:

Edited by chesilbeach

Continuing to read Robert Mccammon's swan song and am about 3/4 through and its superb up to now,will likely finnish is tonight and then its onto jeffery deavers bone collector :readingtwo:

I don't want to sound like I'm whining, and maybe I am a little bit, but I am having the toughest time reading anything lately. The new house is so much smaller. Plus, the washer and dryer are right outside my bedroom. There is a sun room to read in, but even when I close the doors I can hear the television in the next room or my mom's voice, as she is always talking on the phone and her voice carries in this small house. Plus, my sister is always dropping by. My issue is I need complete quiet to concentrate on a book. I know some people can read anywhere, and I guess I am going to have to learn this skill or my reading days are over. :(

My book activity for the past little while: I'm reading The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender.

I'm going on a small vacation tomorrow til wednesday so I packed The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. I'm excited to start reading this. I've been hearing great things about this book.

I entered a contest with Random House Canada and won a Kobo! So that should be arriving in a couple of weeks! So stoked :D

I went to the local second hand shop and picked up a ton of books! Titles can be found on my shelfari (link in signature)

I am at work right now. Just by coincidence I went up to the driver's rest room and somebody has stacked up about 50 paperbacks on the table as a giveaway. I came away with 4:

The Angel's Game

A Fine Balance

Citizen Soldiers

The secret of Platform 13 (kids book)

The first two I only read about on here yesterday!

Chesil, if it were me I'd stick with the library books. If you end up getting the kindle version, that'd be what 15 pounds you'll have spent total, and what if you don't like the books? Unless you don't really care either way about the money. It's up to you! :)

I have 93 pages left of Definitely Dead, so I guess I've gotten quite a good chunk of reading in up here at the cabin. Good times!

Finished a Norwegian book entitled Out Stealing Horses a few days ago, by Per Petterson (very atmospheric it was too), and last night I started a new one - The Drowning People by Richard Mason. I have read 2 1/2 chapters so far and it seems interesting.

Gah! How annoying. Previously looked for Hunger Games trilogy on Kindle and it wasn't available, so reserved books from library instead (£1.20 per book) and have now just come across them on Kindle book store, and have been available since early May :irked: I've already paid the £3.60 to the library for the reservations and have the books on the table next to me, but I actually prefer to read on the Kindle now, so do I go ahead and stick with the library copies, or spend the £10.95 on the Kindle versions???? :dunno:

Well if it were me I'd go for the kindle ones. The Hunger Games is supposed to be fantastic and I reckon you'd re-read them. OR you could just take the library ones, see how you like the first book then go for the kindle version if you get hooked :D

I don't want to sound like I'm whining, and maybe I am a little bit, but I am having the toughest time reading anything lately. The new house is so much smaller. Plus, the washer and dryer are right outside my bedroom. There is a sun room to read in, but even when I close the doors I can hear the television in the next room or my mom's voice, as she is always talking on the phone and her voice carries in this small house. Plus, my sister is always dropping by. My issue is I need complete quiet to concentrate on a book. I know some people can read anywhere, and I guess I am going to have to learn this skill or my reading days are over. :(

Oh dear, I know that feeling. I prefer complete silence but have learned over the years how to tune out my surroundings. Still hard though unless I'm completely engrossed in the book. Have you thought of earplugs or sticking a set of headphones in with some calm music?

I'm well over half way through Dark Prince by Christine Feehan and really enjoying it :)

Chesil, if it were me I'd stick with the library books. If you end up getting the kindle version, that'd be what 15 pounds you'll have spent total, and what if you don't like the books? Unless you don't really care either way about the money. It's up to you! :)

Well if it were me I'd go for the kindle ones. The Hunger Games is supposed to be fantastic and I reckon you'd re-read them. OR you could just take the library ones, see how you like the first book then go for the kindle version if you get hooked :D

I decided to make a start on the library books, and save my money for something else, as to be honest, I'm not a big re-reader. I've got a very small set of books I re-read occasionally, but my main enjoyment from reading a book is the excitement of a new story, new people to find out about, or a new place to go, so re-reading is usually reserved for bedtime reading (when it doesn't matter if I fall asleep in the middle of a sentence) or when I'm in a specific frame of mind for a certain book (I find I have a penchant for Jane Austen at Christmas for some reason), so I don't think I would actually re-read them anyway.

I do actually like to still make some use of the library as well as my reading group, as they could do with the support. Although they now lend audiobooks, they're also now looking into a way of providing ebooks for loan as well, so I can imagine that if I can borrow ebooks, from the library either for free or reasonably cheaply, then my spending on books might decrease dramatically :lol:

Edited by chesilbeach

Well that didn't last long - just finished the excellent first book in The Hunger Games trilogy. :blush:

Me too, wasn't it fantastic :D

It's nice to have some book activity to finally talk about. The Hunger Games was just what I needed to revive my mojo, I was absolutely riveted from start to finish & I'm starting the second book straight away.

Finished A Week in December yesterday, was less than impressed. Started Half Blood Blues, but today all I've read is a few pages of Pooh and the Psychologists.

Shall I consign this to the middle of the TBR pile? I don't know why I bought it. I loved Birdsong and The Girl from the Lion d'Or and was a bit disappointed with Charlotte Grey but I don't really want to pick A Week in December up just yet.

Edited by SueK