Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CRIKEY!!! I really fell behind on reading threads on here!

There's a distinct possibility that Linwood Barclay's 'Never Look Away' and Karin Slaughter's 'Broken' fell into my Tesco shopping basket at 6.30 this morning. Oops! :D

WHOOOOOOO for the SLAUGHTER BOOK. I'm waiting for FALLEN. I'm hoping this is why my mojo has disspear it is waiting for the two days of sitting and reading constantly. It's the first thing I will buy on Payday!

I finished The Two Towers and have started on the final book, The Return of the King.

I am so glad you are loving the LOTR series.

And, I met George RR Martin.

Very Jealous. My friend took a picture of the Throne in Waterstones.

I finished 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman last night, A brilliant absorbing and entrancing book.

I've heard good and bad reviews of this book. My Library book club hated it. I have not read it. I normally have the same taste in books mate. Do you think I would like?

because I didn't know what to read next, I let a friend choose...apparently I'll be reading Packing for Mars by Mary Roach :D

When I don't know what to read and I have no library books I get my kids to pick for me. :D

As for me. Urgh, the non existant mojo is starting to affect me now :( I think I need nothing more than an good reading session. But I can't seem to get into anything :(

I'm around 200 pages in The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. It's a great book but I just haven't got any concentration :(

I've heard good and bad reviews of this book. My Library book club hated it. I have not read it. I normally have the same taste in books mate. Do you think I would like?

It's a rumbling and unfolding type of read, where all you have to do is give into the central premise and take a seat alongside the central character that is Shadow, and take the road trip with him. I was in exactly the right frame of mind when I read it. I would pick it up, read a chapter or two and then it would be a while before I picked it up again, but I fell straight back into it with ease.

I just read American Gods and found it very satisfying. Don't know how I would go about writing a review of it though.

Next up is Never Let Me Go.

Oh also I bought the August Reading Circle choice for 1p + postage from Amazon.

I did a bookshop crawl with a friend in the Blue Mountains yesterday. We had a great time and of course bought lots of books. biggrin.gif

Today I'll be cataloguing my new books and hopefully getting a fair bit of reading done. :)

I did a bookshop crawl with a friend in the Blue Mountains yesterday. We had a great time and of course bought lots of books. biggrin.gif

Today I'll be cataloguing my new books and hopefully getting a fair bit of reading done. :)

I love the sound of that!! I should have done that in Glasgow, yet I couldn't have bought any books as it wouldn't have fit in my hand luggage. *Shakes fist at airline!*

I read.. Get this... a whooping 10 pages yesterday! Oh yes. I really do like THE BLADE ITSELF but Every time I settle down the kids want me to do something, or I have feel guilty reading as I have 101 jobs to be doing or I am just plain tired. :Zzzz:

Had one of my regular culls of my TBR shelf, am taking some books I've had on there for over 5 years to the charity shop along with some others I've read and don't want to keep.

Almost finished The Immortals: Everlasting as well, probably finish this morning, and then thinking I will probably buy The Death of King Arthur by Peter Ackroyd, as I want to read the Arthur story, but am a bit wary of the medieval text, and have read and loved a lot of Ackroyds writing.

I bought The Museums Secrets - Henry Chancellor yesterday and am loving it, also bought for my friend a book about women adventurers through the ages just can't remember what it was called. :rolleyes:

picked up a few books at The Book Barn:

Open Secrets by Alice Munro

The 37th Hour by Jodi Compton

The Names of the Dead by Stewart O'Nan

The Dark House by John Sedgwick

Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

I'm at a really annoying stage in my current book A Cavern of Black Ice by JV Jones. I'm over 3/4 of the way through with only 150 pages to go. But it is starting to drag. If I switch and read something else I will feel like I have unfinished business. And yet I'm finding it hard to get the motivation up to finish it. The book is actually pretty good and I have the sequel waiting to go after a short rest but my mojo is non existent!

I've got three chapters left of my re-read of George RR Martin's A Feast For Crows, then I'll be ready to download A Dance With Dragons to my Kindle tomorrow :)

Finished The Bohemian Girl last night. OK, but not much more - it couldn't work out whether it wanted to be a knockabout comedy, a Jack the Ripper read-alike or a Gothic horror story, and the characters didn't really engage me. Oh well ..

Now reading Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere by Jan Morris. That's somewhere I've always fancied going. From Amazon:

Located on a narrow, mountainous finger of Italy hard by Croatia and Slovenia, the port city of Trieste is little-visited and seldom in the news. As Jan Morris, who first came to Trieste as the English soldier James Morris in 1945, writes, "It offers no unforgettable landmark, no universally familiar melody, no unmistakable cuisine, hardly a single native name that anyone knows." Yet, as historian and travel writer Morris ably demonstrates in this homage to one of her favourite cities (others about which she has written are Hong Kong, Sydney, New York, and Venice ), Trieste has many charms. Its history is foremost among them, thanks to the city's former role as the sole port of the otherwise-landlocked Austro-Hungarian empire, which housed a small fleet there--a fleet which, from time to time, would sail off to make war against the Ottomans or the Italians. At the beginning of the 20th century, Trieste had grown to international importance as an entry point into Central Europe, so much so that it was referred to as "the third entrance of the Suez Canal". Trieste briefly took centre stage at the onset of the Cold War, when Marshall Tito claimed it for Yugoslavia; it narrowly avoided being enveloped by the Iron Curtain. Morris tells all these stories and more, bringing the city's past to life; no one should be surprised if Trieste sees more visitors thanks to her spirited study.

I manage a few chapters of THE BLADE ITSELF. Which has led me to be around half way through the book, and I am now about to start Part Two. Horrah! :yahoo:

I realised that I have my library book club on Thursday and I haven't read the book. Whoops.

Started The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker, but had to put it down as it just wasn't grabbing me. So, I've now started on The Brotherhood of the Rose by David Morrell, and that has really grabbed me. :D