help need a good book to read

So I am new to the site and I joined up for one reason. I work nights doing homecare and come to realize that I am buying a book every 2 days or so. I unfortunatly have ran out of books to read. I don't like romance ie Danielle Steel and I hate westerns and classics I just can't seem to get into. I am more likely to pick up a book by James Patterson, Iris Johansen, Allison Brennan Alex Kava Tami Hoag etc however I am running out of books by these authors and need suggestions as to what more I should read. I don't however only read suspense I have read books like Room emma donaghue and the book of the negros by Lawerence Hill but a book has to catch my eye and I kinda like to be told about the story line before buying it. I am currently reading a book by Harlen Coben called Caught but after this I will have run out of books to read. Does anyone have any favourites that they think I might like based on the types of read I have listed above?

Jeffrey Deaver is a great author, and his Lincoln Rhyme series (starting with 'The Bone Collector) is brilliant. LIsa Gardner, Karin Slaughter and the first 12 Scarpetta books by Patricia Cornwell are also worth investigating. All of them have written series which is great if you like their style. Carol O'Connell is a favourite author of mine, and her Mallory series as well as her two stand alone novels are worth a read.

Young Adult series by Suzanne Collin's 'unger Games'trilogy is gripping from start to finish, and Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series is an enjoyable set from the supernatural side of things.

Thanks guys!

I actually do read Lisa Gardner and Patricia Cornwell. I really like scarpetta novels. I have never heard of this Tess Grittisen author so I may try that one. Is there a best book you have read by this author? I also have read Micheal connelly in the past but can't seem to get into anything of his lately. I will also try the Carol oconnall books.

Thanks again! That should keep me going for a few days maybe even a week! :D

Hi Leanne, |Tess Gerritssen has written a series of books called the Rizzoli and Isles books basically a detective and the Pathologist. I would start with the first of these, she has written some stand alone books but they are less well written. I am not sure whether you mistook me I meant John Connolly not Michael Connelly John's are thriller with a hint of supernatural featuring a detective Charlie Parker, although he has written some stand alone novels as well.

I will def try Tess... I have never heard of john connelly only Michael....I will look and see

I have never heard of this barbara one either ... maybe I need to get out more often lol... I usually just go into chapter bookstore and start buying what jumps out at me or authors I already like. Myabe that is half the problem lol ...I guess I should travelup the 4 stairs to the fiction section :giggle2:

thanks

I will second Jeffery Deaver and Karin Slaughter, and will add Jeff Lindsay and his Dexter books to the list of suggestions :cool:

Edit: If you enjoyed Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta series, I think you'd love Kathy Reichs's Tempe Brennan series!

Edited by frankie

Love Kathy Reiches books but I have read all that are out... I usually get stuck on an author and read them all and then move on to the next. I guess that is why I am asking for suggestions bc all the authors I like have no more books coming out anytime soon unfortunatly :(

Okay :) Well, I haven't read Richard Montanari or Mo Hayder but I'm sure Charm would recommend them to you should she visit this thread.

How about some vampire stuff? Have you read the Sookie Stackhouse series, or seen the show True Blood?

Edit: Lately Charm's been going on about Karen Rose's thrillers too, and she has good taste, so I'll add that to the mix :)

Edited by frankie

Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch series), Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware series) & Michael Dibdin (Zen Series) are all also brilliant and I'm currently working my way through these among other books and they're great.

Okay :) Well, I haven't read Richard Montanari or Mo Hayder but I'm sure Charm would recommend them to you should she visit this thread.

How about some vampire stuff? Have you read the Sookie Stackhouse series, or seen the show True Blood?

Edit: Lately Charm's been going on about Karen Rose's thrillers too, and she has good taste, so I'll add that to the mix :)

Aw, thank you!! :friends3: I'm glad you think so, although it stands to reason that you must have great taste too if you've enjoyed anything I recommended :huh:

Like frankie says, I have been raving on about Karen Rose books lately, I haven't been disappointed by any yet. I've recently finished her series:

Karen Rose

Don't Tell

Have You Seen Her?

I'm Watching You

Nothing To Fear

You Can't Hide

Count To Ten

I Can See You

Silent Scream

You Belong To Me

No One Left To Tell (to be released yet)

Richard Montanari writes a brilliant series, quite similar to Tess Gerritsen:

Richard Montanari

The Rosary Girls

The Skin Gods

Broken Angels

Play Dead

The Echo Man

I would definitely agree with the Tess Gerritsen vote too, her Rizolli/Isles series is great but her one off novels can be a bit hit and miss:

Tess Gerritsen Rizolli/Isles series

The Surgeon

The Apprentice

The Sinner

Body Double

Vanish

The Mephisto Club

Keeping The Dead

The Keepsake

The Silent Girl

Stuart MacBride is a Scottish writer who writes a brilliant, gritty, crime thriller set in Aberdeen:

Stuart MacBride's Logan McRea series

Cold Granite

Dying Light

Broken Skin

Flesh House

Blind Eye

Dark Blood

Shatter The Bones

.........I haven't read the last 3 yet, but if the first 4 are anything to go by, they should be great!

Jeffrey Deaver writes brilliant thrillers with a twist, one of my favourite crime writers,

Jeffrey Deaver

'The Blue Nowhere' is my absolute favourite of his, it's a stand alone novel.

Lincoln Rhymes series

The Bone Collector

The Coffin Dancer

The Empty Chair

The Stone Monkey

The Vanished Man

The Twelfth Card

The Cold Moon

The Broken Window

The Burning Wire

Not forgetting the delectable one frankie has mentioned. I wholeheartedly second the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay:

Jeff Lindsay

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Dearly Devoted Dexter

Dexter in the Dark

Dexter By Design

Dexter is Delicious

Double Dexter (to be released yet)

Just a few to keep you going! :wink:

• 2 months later...

Hello I hope you are well.

A big fan of Lee Child, and also Anita Shreve. The genre's I do avoid are, sci fi, and fantasy, mostly because the novels are so long. So, please, shoot some titles at me.

Some of my recent wonder reads, have been NOW YOU SEE ME, SJ Bolton; THE BOOK THIEF, THE POISON TREE, Erin Lacey, THE SHADOW OF THE WIND, Carl Ruiz Zafon. A CHANGE IN ALTITUDE ,by Anita Shreve.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I recently read a book called The Holy Thief by William Ryan, it is a murder mystery set in 1930's Russia (I think, it was definitly set during Stalin's era). I thought it was well written and I actually felt I was there and experiencing the time. I believe it is the start of a series featuring Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev. I also would recommend the Karen Rose and Richard Montanari books. I also recommend John Connolly, the Charlie Parker books and the stand alone ones, one of my favorite books is John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things, think fairy tale for grown ups! J A Kerley is also really good, his Carson Ryder books are good, and I especially like the ones that feature Carson's brother Jeremy. Unfortunately I do not know what order they come in. Mary Burton's Dead Ringer was a good thriller, a lot like Karen Rose. Now if you want a bit of a comic mystery, I recommend Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, starts with One for the Money.