The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

8. The loathsome ghouls, wanted to take Bod to their city of Ghulheim. Why do you think this is so? Why didn't they eat him immediately?

Great discussion Maureen :) I think they wanted to take Bod because he was young (and fresh) and also because he lived in the graveyard, they probably felt that no one would come after him. I think the reason they didn't eat Bod right away was because I got the impression they liked it when the victims were scared, so they were trying to build Bod's fear.

:)

1. Is fantasy a genre that you feel comfortable reading?

2. Is this the first Neil Gaiman book you are reading?

3. What made you read this book? What did you think of this story?

1. Oooh yes. Very much so. One of the genres I like the most.

2. No. I've read quite a few. Anansi boys, Death-the high cost of living (graphic novel), Good Omens (co.author Terry Pratchett), M is for Magic, Neverwhere, The Sandman:Book if dreams, Smoke and Mirrors, Stardust, Coraline, and American Gods.

3. This is an interesting story, and I'm quite certain I could never have imagined a story quite like this one myself. What made me re-read this book now, was that I could join this discussion!

4. Miss Lupescu is a Hound of God in the novel - in other words - she is a werewolf. What do you think of having a werewolf as a benevolent creature rather than a monster?

5. I have always thought of vampires as scary beings, certainly not creatures that I would imagine as protectors - Twilight notwithstanding

:), however here an important character in Bod's life is Silas, the Vampire protector. What do you think of this grumpy, but charismatic being?

4-5. I think this is something that Gaiman does, turning things around, at least in this book. A graveyard as a safe place when in most books graveyards are scary, a werewolf as a benevolent creature, and a vampire as a protector. And then the "nice and reasonable" men Jack at a conference, donating money to charities. A benevolent werewolf and a vampire protector work in this book.

6. Why do you think Liza Hempstock is shunned by the other 'inmates'? Do you think it is just because she was a witch?

7. Do you think Neil Gaiman means Jack as in Jack the ripper? Why?

6. I think it's because she's buried outside the graveyard, so then she's not one of them. I don't think it mattered much that she was a witch.

7. Gaiman plays with the name Jack, that can have a lot of meanings, but it certainly could be Jack the Ripper. My English dictionnary also tells me that Jack Ketch, Jack Tar, etc (in the end of the book) have very specific meanings.

Edited by SaraPepparkaka

8. The loathsome ghouls, wanted to take Bod to their city of Ghulheim. Why do you think this is so? Why didn't they eat him immediately?

I think they really planned to make Bod a ghoul. Since the ghould don't seem to understand much but hunger and eating, I think it was that Bod said he didn't enjoy the food Miss Lupescu made that really made the ghouls see him as a potential ghoul rather than dinner.

4-5. I think this is something that Gaiman does, turning things around, at least in this book. A graveyard as a safe place when in most books graveyards are scary, a werewolf as a benevolent creature, and a vampire as a protector. And then the "nice and reasonable" men Jack at a conference, donating money to charities. A benevolent werewolf and a vampire protector work in this book.

I like your line of thought Sara - Gaiman seems to have made the scary places and people into safehavens and protectors, while the man Jack disguises himself as a meek friendly person

Yes, it is as if he wanted to teach (his) children a lesson - Everything is not as it seems. Innocent looking people may be a big threat, while ugly - scary circumstances/places/people may not be bad at all :)

9. Why do you think Gaiman added the chapter when the characters performed the Dance Macabre? What did this show/add to the story?

• 2 weeks later...

9. Why do you think Gaiman added the chapter when the characters performed the Dance Macabre? What did this show/add to the story?

Not too sure about this. Maybe he wanted to emphasize the fact that we are on the side of the living one day, and the other side soon after, that we are all destined to die, except for Silas the vampire, who could not even take part in the dance.