The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

It is assumed that you have read the book before reading posts in this thread, as the discussion might give away crucial points, and the continuous use of spoiler tags might hinder fluent reading of posts.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman:

When his family is murdered one night by the man Jack, an infant boy toddles unnoticed up the street to the graveyard, where he is taken in and raised by its denizens—ghosts, ghouls, vampires, and werewolves. Such an unusual upbringing affords young Nobody Owens (Bod, for short) just about everything he could wish for, but he still longs for human companionship, news of his family's murderer, and life beyond the graveyard. Bod's pursuit of these things increasingly places him in danger, because the man Jack is still looking for him . . . waiting to finish the job he started.

Some easy questions to get us started :)

1. Is fantasy a genre that you feel comfortable reading?

2. Is this the first Neil Gaiman book you are reading?

3. What made you read this book? What did you think of this story?

I used to hate fantasy. I could not read it – I used to get pictures of Star Wars, Science Fiction and ugly aliens in my head. However there are many different facets to the fantasy genre and I have found a few that I really enjoy. I could mention Jasper Fforde’s books, or Audrey Niffenegger’s The Time Traveller’s wife, which were my first enjoyable forays into the fantasy genre...but since those I have enjoyed many others.

Actually no, it is my second – I have read his novel Neverwhere, which I also enjoyed. It was our reading circle choice for February 2008.

I really had no choice, as it is the Reading Circle Choice for this month, but I'm happy that I read it. :) I have also downloaded a couple of other Neil Gaiman books for myself and one for my son.

I enjoyed it. It is a simple story, targeted at a younger reader, but that does not make it less enjoyable to an older reader. In fact I think some aspects of the story will be lost on younger teenagers. I loved the way Gaiman uses allegories throughout the story. I believe he started writing this story when he saw his younger son riding his tricycle around a graveyard, and continued it as his daughter kept prompting him to see what happened next, but he managed to create a story that would hold an older child’s attention with it awe factors – ghosts, ghouls, vampires and other beings that seems to enthral most children, and at the same time make it interesting and unusual enough to appeal to a lot of adults.

I find well written fantasy very easy to read, and can escape into it quickly and completely.

This was the first Neil Gaiman book that I had read, I thought it was so quirky and descriptive that I knew I would have to read more by him. I have since read 'Neverwhere', and have 'American Gods', 'Anansi Boys' & 'Good Omens' on the shelf waiting to be read. In fact my big brother bought me 'American Gods' and has been harrassing me about reading it! :lol:

I had heard so many good things about Neil Gaiman, so when I saw this title in a charity shop I bought it without hesitation. I love the story. It is dark and macabre at times, but remains character centred throughout. At first read I was able to quickly form an impression of the various characters, and could invisage each scene in such detail due to the quality of the writing.

I don't really read a lot of fantasy, but I always make the exception for Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman because I love their wit and style. They manage to inject so much realism into their writing that it quite often doesn't feel like a fantasy. I'm not generally into sword-and-sorcery type fantasy, but this kind of urban fantasy is something I love.

No. I've also read Good Omens (which he co-wrote with terry pratchett) and American Gods. I've also read all his online fiction, which I loved. It's also not my first experience with the illustrator (I have the version which is illustrated by Chris Riddell), as I'm a huge fan of The Edge Chronicles (written by Paul Stewart and illustrated by Chris Riddell). I've not been disappointed so far!

I actually saw the cover and instantly recognised the art style as that of Chris Riddell (who I love). I then saw it was written by Gaiman and snapped it up! I really enjoyed the story - the characters are all very real, despite being supernatural creatures, and I could readily identify with them. It's a heartwarming tale that I thin kwill apeal to readers of all ages. :)

4. Miss Lupescu is a Hound of God in the novel - in other words - she is a werewolf. What do you think of having a werewolf as a benevolent creature rather than a monster?

5. I have always thought of vampires as scary beings, certainly not creatures that I would imagine as protectors - Twilight notwithstanding

:), however here an important character in Bod's life is Silas, the Vampire protector. What do you think of this grumpy, but charismatic being?

]1. Is fantasy a genre that you feel comfortable reading?

Yes, I love fantasy! I think its the whole escaping into another world, one that somebody else has created!

Yes, although I have had Coroline on my wishlist for a while. it will definitaly not be the last Neil Gaiman book either!

I read this book for the reading circle here and I'm really glad I did. It was easy to get into, had everything that a good fantasy story should and I really really enjoyed it.

4. Miss Lupescu is a Hound of God in the novel - in other words - she is a werewolf. What do you think of having a werewolf as a benevolent creature rather than a monster?

I have read a couple of books were Werewolves are good and not nessescary evil. I didnt actually like her to start with, how she was treating Bod, but I really warmed to her!

5. I have always thought of vampires as scary beings, certainly not creatures that I would imagine as protectors - Twilight notwithstanding :), however here an important character in Bod's life is Silas, the Vampire protector. What do you think of this grumpy, but charismatic being?

I liked the character of Silas again, I thought that he had a mysterious aura about him, and wanted to find out more and more about him!

Yes I have read a lot of fantasy books in fact fantasy was what really got me reading as a teenager.

No I have read Anansi Boys, American Gods, Fragile Thins, Good Omens, Neverwhere, Smoke and Mirrors, and Stardust

I read the book beacuse I am a fan of his adult books and wanted to see how he wrote a what is esssentially a childrens novel, also the book was illustrated and I love illustrated booksl. I wasn't dissapointed, I love his work its just fantastical enough to be believable, its a world you can see out the corner of youe eye and wished it was real. The characters were beautifully written with just enough of the horror to be appealing to the young reader.

I have read quite a few books where the werewolf is a good character but not often benevolent. they are usually more animalistic so it was nice to see someone take this genre and twist it to a different way. I like that the werewolf is described as a hound of god not something I have thought of before and found that interesting

5. I have always thought of vampires as scary beings, certainly not creatures that I would imagine as protectors - Twilight notwithstanding :), however here an important character in Bod's life is Silas, the Vampire protector. What do you think of this grumpy, but charismatic being?

I like that this was another take on the vampire I haven't read Twighlight but have read books where vampires are not necessarily evil but also not straight good, these tend to be adult novels where the vampire is more a sexual being rather than a father figure which in essence Silas is, he is the one who provides for Bod, he also teaches him and guides he and in the end he is the one who sends him out into the world and in that sense he is a true parent.

I'm a big Kelley Armstrong fan and many of her werewolf characters are just regular people (yes, there are some who are not so nice, but mostly they're just normal), so the concept of a no-evil werewolf isn't new to me. I quite like that the werewolf = bad idea is subverted so completely here. It actually kind of makes sense to me, the whole Hound of God thing. It's certainly a good an explanation as any other!

It's been a while since I read it, but I think I remember being rather fold of Silas. He sometimes came across as being a little aloof, but I thin khe was tring not to become too attached to Bod, which you can kind of understand - after all, a vampire lives pretty much forever, a human does not, so he's bound to eventually lose Bod. It doesn't stop him feeling and acting kindly towards his ward, though, and doing everything he can to make sure whatever is best for bod gets done.Yes, I rather liked him. :)

Yes, I have read a lot of fantasy over the years, although I don't read as much now as I used to.

No, I read Neverwhere last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had been intending to read more of his work at some point, but wouldn't have chosen this book myself.

I wouldn't have read this book except for the Reading Circle, as YA novels don't particularly interest me, but I am very glad I did - what an imaginative story! I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next all the way through.

I rather liked seeing a werewolf as a benevolent creature, and appreciated the "Hound of God" description.

I really liked Silas, and all the way through the book was wanted to know more about what type of creature he was. I thought it was interesting that at the end of the book Silas told Bod he had not always done the right thing, and had been worse than any monster. I would love to read the story of how he came from that to being part of the Honour Guard!

Edited by Ooshie

I always thought of werewolves as people with problems, rather than beasties and monsters, so the benevolence of the character felt correct. I mean, the whole premise of the book is strange yet somehow it works. :lol:

I loved Silas, he is charasmatic and wise with a way of getting things sorted as required. He is written as a person of integrity and regard, but not as a father figure which I thinl works better for this story.

4. Miss Lupescu is a Hound of God in the novel - in other words - she is a werewolf. What do you think of having a werewolf as a benevolent creature rather than a monster?I loved her name - Lupescu, very similar to Lupo, the Italian and Maltese name for wolf, and lupine or wolfish in English.

I came across an article that was describing how in the 1600, during the witches and witchcraft era, where being suspected of witchcraft was a trip to the stake, this man claimed he was a benevolent creature of God, put on earth to do his bidding, and defend souls. He said warewolves descended into the depths of hell to battle witches and demons, keeping them there to prevent them from coming to earth to destroy it, and cause hardship and sufferings to mankind. This is very similar to what Miss Lupescu did in the novel, she gave up her life to this cause. In Italian history there is also the story of Romulus and Remus, the twins who were raised by a she wolf - she used to give them her milk when their mother died in childbirth. (or so one version says). The story goes on to say that when the twins grew up, they decided to build a great city where they were raised by the she wolf. They decided to name this city Rome. Int the graveyard book, Miss Lupescu also gave food to Bod - healthy food which was good for him, and she protected him when necessary. I loved the similarities between these legends and the book.

5. I have always thought of vampires as scary beings, certainly not creatures that I would imagine as protectors - Twilight notwithstanding :) , however here an important character in Bod's life is Silas, the Vampire protector. What do you think of this grumpy, but charismatic being?

I really loved Silas. He's my favorite character. It is also the first time I have come across a protector vampire, and in this book, these characters really worked out. He was not only a protector, he was a teacher and also a parent to Bod, and without his help and guidance, Bod's childhood would not have been possible. I kept trying to imagine his face throughout the story though and could not place one. The only image I can imagine is a tall dark man, in his late 40s or early 50s, with a strong presence, but I cannot imagine a face to go along with that image.

I kept trying to imagine his face throughout the story though and could not place one. The only image I can imagine is a tall dark man, in his late 40s or early 50s, with a strong presence, but I cannot imagine a face to go along with that image.

How extraordinary that you felt that way, as I'm the same with Silas. All the others I have a certain image, but Silas is almost hidden from view in my mind with his personality exuding larger than his look.

6. Why do you think Liza Hempstock is shunned by the other 'inmates'? Do you think it is just because she was a witch?

It hadn't actually crossed my mind that it might be because she was a witch, I had just assumed it was because she wasn't buried in the graveyard itself, but in unconsecrated ground.

7. Do you think Neil Gaiman means Jack as in Jack the ripper? Why?

From the first time the man Jack was referred to, I did assume he was Jack the Ripper, but thinking about it I can't come up with any reasons why that should be so other than that he did seem to enjoy despatching people with sharp blades! Thinking about it a bit more, I had thought Jack Frost was a surname the man Jack had assumed to disguise himself from Scarlett and her mother, but Jack Dandy did refer to him as Jack Frost too, when if his real identity had been that of Jack the Ripper I would have expected Jack Dandy to call him that. Hmm, I'm not sure now!

I started reading 'The Graveyard Book' this morning, I am looking forward to joining in with the discussion :)

Edited by Weave

1. Is fantasy a genre that you feel comfortable reading? ~

I did not always enjoy the fantasy genre, in fact, I pretty much avoided it but over the last few years I started to enjoy the genre.

2. Is this the first Neil Gaiman book you are reading? ~

No, the first book I read by Neil Gaiman was 'Anansi Boys' (excellent), then 'Stardust', 'Neverwhere', 'Smoke and Mirrors' and finally 'The Graveyard Book'.

3. What made you read this book? What did you think of this story? ~

It was the choice for this month's reading circle.

I read 'The Graveyard Book' in January 2009 and enjoyed it immensely. I enjoyed the idea of a boy being raised by ghosts and the fact it was loosely based on 'The Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling, I liked how imaginative the story was, all the different and great characters.

4. Miss Lupescu is a Hound of God in the novel - in other words - she is a werewolf. What do you think of having a werewolf as a benevolent creature rather than a monster? ~

I thought Miss Lupescu was a wonderful character and I would have liked to have seen more of her in the book, I liked the fact that she was not a monster and the fact that she would protect anyone, it worked better than you're a~typical snarling werewolf which you find in most books.

5. I have always thought of vampires as scary beings, certainly not creatures that I would imagine as protectors - Twilight notwithstanding, however here an important character in Bod's life is Silas, the Vampire protector. What do you think of this grumpy, but charismatic being? ~

I thought Silas was a fantastic character, I loved how grumpy he was and how much he cared for Bod and the residents of the graveyard. There are books out there where vampires are seen as protectors, such as 'Meet the Radleys' by Matt Haig.

6. Why do you think Liza Hempstock is shunned by the other 'inmates'? Do you think it is just because she was a witch? ~

I think she is shunned by the other residents of the graveyard for two reasons, because she is a witch and most of the residents remember witch hunts, etc and also because she is a bit cheeky.

7. Do you think Neil Gaiman means Jack as in Jack the ripper? Why? ~

It never really occurred to me that he might be Jack the Ripper but Jack Frost mentions that the Knaves have been around for a long time, so he could have been Jack the Ripper.

:)

Edited by Weave

1.Is fantasy a genre that you feel comfortable reading?

I am not a fantasy reader – I’ve only started reading this genre over the past couple of years and I only read books which have been “tried and tested” by friends. I am always very wary of reading this genre, as I hate starting books which “turn wrong” so I have to quit mid-way, but this has really surprised me :D

Yes this is the first Gaiman book I have ever read, and I have really liked his style, which is to the point, however quite descriptive. I have Coraline and Neverwhere on my wishlist – they’ll probably move up the waiting list now!

I read it for the Reading Circle. At first I thought “young boy in a graveyard... sounds weird!” But when I started reading I was pleasantly surprised, as Gaiman manages to turn the book into a sort of adventure. Another thing which I noticed is that you can feel yourself in the graveyard surrounded by ghosts, however you don’t feel afraid, but rather protected and look forward to meeting them as friends.

The ony other book I’ve read with werewolves nvolved was Harry Potter, so I must say that I’m used to these creatures being benevolent.

5. I have always thought of vampires as scary beings, certainly not creatures that I would imagine as protectors - Twilight notwithstanding however here an important character in Bod's life is Silas, the Vampire protector. What do you think of this grumpy, but charismatic being?

I really liked Silas, even though he appears to be so detatched from his protegee... however he proves himself a worthy protector, he watched out for the child and makes sure ther is a reliable substitute when he needs to leave. I got the impression that Silas always knoew that one day he and Bod would part ways, so possibly his grumpy exterior was meant to help prepare Bod (and himself?) for this event...

Edited by shirleyz

6. Why do you think Liza Hempstock is shunned by the other 'inmates'? Do you think it is just because she was a witch?

I think the witchiness has something to do with it, and I think that the 'inmates' are naturally suspicious of anyone who is from (buried or otherwise) outside their community. The unconsecrated ground would most probably be considered outside,

I thought he was paying macabre homage to Jack the Ripper with 'the man Jack', rather than saying he actually is him.

.......here an important character in Bod's life is Silas, the Vampire protector. What do you think of this grumpy, but charismatic being?

I really liked Silas, even though he appears to be so detatched from his protegee... however he proves himself a worthy protector, he watched out for the child and makes sure ther is a reliable substitute when he needs to leave. I got the impression that Silas always knoew that one day he and Bod would part ways, so possibly his grumpy exterior was meant to help prepare Bod (and himself?) for this event...

I never thought about it that way, but yes, it is a very relevant observation that his grumpy exterior was his way of keeping Bod at arms lenght so he would be able to fend for himself when the time comes. Thinking about it that way raises Silas up another notch IMO. :)

I think Gaiman wanted to push the point across that there are prejudices everywhere, even in the Graveyard. Liza, being a witch, was not given a Christian burial, but buried in unconsecrated ground in an unmarked grave. She was different from the other ghosts, and it seems that these ghosts, as flesh and blood people do, are afraid and do not trust that which is different to them. Mrs Owens, Bod's mother, warned Bod to stay away from that area of the cemetary. No one befriended Liza before Bod came along - and it seems as if Bod's choice was a wise one, as Liza turned out to be a good friend to him.

I do think that Gaiman is playing around with the association to Jack the Ripper, with 'the man Jack.' The man Jack uses a knife,and is a master at his work. and mysteriously appears as if from nowhere. He stalks his prey patiently, and does not give up.

I think Bod, as an “outsider” could feel the loneliness experienced by Liza. He too was one of a kind, and although he had a sort of family and was well accepted by the other ghosts, he still felt lonely... in fact he mentions at one point that he outgrows the other boys he used to play with as a child. Liza proves to be a good friend, and he in turn wants to grant her something that she has always wanted, a headstone to mark her grave. Even if it’s not as grand as he had planned it, I think the glass paperweight is even more significant than a stone marker.

I like Maureen’s take on prejudice, I hadn’t quite thought of it that way

Yes, I think he could be implying Jack the Ripper (the knife, the killings...) however, this never really crossed my mind while I was reading the story!

I think its because she is not buried in the graveyard, on the unconsicrated ground. I think that because she is buried outside of the actual graveyard, she is treated as an outsider. however, I also think they are slighty weary of her because of the 'witch' aspect.

This didnt actually cross my mind while reading the book, but thinking about it now I think he could have been. For example, how he goes around with a knife and the crimes are quite covered up.

I guess like a lot of others its because she was buried outside of the perimeter of the church and in the unhallowed ground that she was thought of as a witch, of course a lot of people were buried unshriven not just witches but also suicides, unconsecrated children as well as murderers rapists and of course women who either died in childbirth or died after giving birth but whilst they were still unclean (can't remember how many days that was but I know it was less if you had a boy than if you had a girl before you were allowed back into the church).

Jack is an intersting character he talks about Jack of Knaves which has come to mean far more than the original servant position in fact

1. blackguard, villain, scamp, scapegrace. Knave, rascal, rogue, scoundrel are disparaging terms applied to persons considered base, dishonest, or worthless. Knave, which formerly meant merely a boy or servant, in modern use emphasizes baseness of nature and intention: a dishonest and swindling knave. .Rascal and rogue are often used affectionately or humorously ( an entertaining rascal; a saucy rogue ), but knave and scoundrel are not.

I think the last but which I highlighted is intersting in that a knave is not used in a humourous way but far darker and therfore suits the character better, Jack the Ripper was also named after another Jack who haunted London Spring Heeled Jack. As

Chrissy says rather than this Jack being the Ripper its more likely that this is a homage to Jack the ripper who is likely to be a hero to the jack in this book after all he is an infamous character who has never been identified and therefore got away with his crimes.

Edited by pickle

Jack is an intersting character he talks about Jack of Knaves which has come to mean far more than the original servant position in fact

1. blackguard, villain, scamp, scapegrace. Knave, rascal, rogue, scoundrel are disparaging terms applied to persons considered base, dishonest, or worthless. Knave, which formerly meant merely a boy or servant, in modern use emphasizes baseness of nature and intention: a dishonest and swindling knave. .Rascal and rogue are often used affectionately or humorously ( an entertaining rascal; a saucy rogue ), but knave and scoundrel are not.

I think the last but which I highlighted is intersting in that a knave is not used in a humourous way but far darker and therfore suits the character better, Jack the Ripper was also named after another Jack who haunted London Spring Heeled Jack. As Chrissy says rather than this Jack being the Ripper its more likely that this is a homage to Jack the ripper who is likely to be a hero to the jack in this book after all he is an infamous character who has never been identified and therefore got away with his crimes.

That's interesting! I just love the way Gaiman plays with these images and allegories. The man Jack was in fact, a servant of the order, and obviously he was of base intentions.

I like Silas' conversation with Bod, regarding people who are buried in Potter's field:

So the people buried in the ground on the other side of the fence are bad people?”

Silas raised one perfect eyebrow. “Mm? Oh, not at all. Let’s see, it’s been a while since I’ve been down that way. But I don’t remember anyone particularly evil. Remember, in days gone by you could be hanged for stealing a shilling. And there are always people who find their lives have become so unsupportable they believe the best thing they could do would be to hasten their transition to another plane of existence.”

“They kill themselves, you mean?” said Bod. He was about eight years old, wide-eyedand inquisitive, and he was not stupid.

“Indeed.”

“Does it work? Are they happier dead?”

Silas grinned so wide and sudden that he showed his fangs. “Sometimes. Mostly, no. It’s like the people who believe they’ll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn’t work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you. If you see what I mean.”

He was more open - minded than the other ghosts in the cemetary - He wanted to teach Bod that people who take different decisions, even if they are mistaken, are not necessarily bad people. I think he was the perfect embodiment of that - a Vampire who took care of and was a teacher to the young boy.