JK Rowling: Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets (#2)

Kell

Author: J K Rowling

ISBN # 0747538484

Not bad. Not bad at all. This one picks up where The Philosopher's Stone left off (as if there's anyone on the planet who doesn't already know that!), in the summer holidays between Harry's first & second year at Hogwart's School of Witchcraft & Wizardry. All the favourites from the previous book with a few extras thrown in for good measure, most prominently Ginny Weasley (younger sister of Ron & the seemingly millions of other Weasley boys); the ghost haunting the girl's loos, Moaning Myrtle, & the flamboyant new teacher of Defence Against the Dark Arts, Gilderoy Lockhart.

My main gripe is that Professor Snape is barely mentioned at all. He was my favourite character in the last story (although, even in that one, was criminally underused) & I only wish he'd featured more heavily in this one, but he hardly graced the pages at all. My greatest wish is that he be given the coveted Dark Arts teaching post he so richly deserves in the sequel.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...