The immortal bard with a silver hook

Right,

Firstly hi folks, first time poster. Hope your all well.

I have been scratching my brain trying to remember the title and author of a book I read some 16-7 years ago.

On the front is a bard with the aforementioned silver hook for a hand. I think he is wearing black. He is the main character and gets made immortal, or near enough, by the gods by eating a fruit. If only it were so damn easy? Anymoo, he is like their emissary and goes off on all sorts of adventures, fights a blob, as you do et ect. I remember one of the heavenly places mentioned was Tir Na Nog.

Ok so very little really to go on. However, since this is the most likely place where someone will have a clue I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance and also for reading that remble.

FStew

Well, I don't know the book but (being Irish) I know that Tir Na Nog is a mythical place in Irish mythology. Also, Oisin was said to have come from there I think, and he wrote one of the old Irish epic poems, sort of like Homer to the Greeks, so I guess he could be considered a bard. Don't know anything about a hook though, but maybe this could be some sort of lead for you so just thought I'd mention it. smile.gif

Yeah cheers Nienna, Tir Na Nog is described as one of the heavenly places in the book although I don't think Mr. Bard actually goes there. I wacked my mums brains for clues as it was her I borrowed the book from but alas she ain't got a clue (20 years or so ago now that I read it) but I got my own back by asking for said unknown book for my birthday hahar!

FS

Dear BelleS, you madame are marvellous!!!! Thanks, just rang me mum though, she still don't remember it!!!!

Thanks again,

FS

Could the book have been one of the Tales of the Bard trilogy by Michael Scott? They were published in the mid to late 1980s I think.