Tales of the City - Armistead Maupin

jjzazzy

Tales of the City - Armistead Maupin

Inspired by Rutherfurds New York, I went looking for a book about San Fransisco.

Not exactly a chronology, more like a snap shot of a group of adrift singels in the 1970s.

Does this even count as historical fiction, since it was written at that time?

As I read it, all I could say out loud was, this is the wierdest book I have ever read. but I mean that as a compliment.

The story relies highly on dialogue and current affairs of the time. The chapters are purposefully short, and often leave you guessing who the subject is by thier location, manerisms and conversations. There really is no plot. It is just descriptions of lost lonely people from all over, looking for sex and the meaning of life in the city.

The characters might be described as silly or without direction, but I think that was intended to describe a lot of people at the time. The city is full of people trying to recover from the sixties and learn about the changing roles of men and women in relationships. It deals harshly (realistically?) with topics like race, sexism, sexuality, drugs and family expectations. Definatly a mature read.

I would love to read the review of someone who lived or travelled there at the time, was that really how lost everyone felt? My father once recommnded to to be The Drifters (Michener) as his desciption of living through the 60s.

The copy I read included More Tales of the City and Further Tales of the City. The last one had a bit of mystery suspense plot to it, but really just the continuation of the lives of characters you already love.

A strange read, if you are looking to be transported slightly back in time for a short while, or maybe you want to relive your glory days.

jj