New York - Rutherfurd

jjzazzy

Ok too much reading, not enough writing....

Well, after not enjoying some of his earlier works (Russka) and finding London a bit better, I decided to give his newest book a chance.

Partially, I was inspired by a recent trip to the city (not long enough at only 4 days), so I had a bit of familiarity with the geography of the city. Also, when I got home, I watched the entire series "New Amsterdam" about an immortal man living in the city, watching it change over time(series got cancelled, the NY detective bit has so been done already)

Anyways, So on to New York. Starting with Dutch Colonisation, the story moves through war of Independance, civil war, dirty thirties, until modern September 11th.

Though following the Master family, the author weaves other families in and out of the story, including slaves, soldiers, socialites and immigrants.

Taking place mainly in Manhattan, the book does expand a bit out to the other boroughs as characters move and return.

This book interconnects the families in a more a natural manner than his previous few, giving me hope that he will replace the void left by JA Michener.

The wait line at the library for it was a good indication that it would be a strong piece of writing.

Overall, and excellent work, well researched, great pace, with an inspiring ending. I am keeping my eyes open for more of his works in the future.

Hi jjzazzy

I'm quite a fan of Edward Rutherfurd. I particularly liked SARUM (history of Salisbury) and LONDON and although I found RUSSKA a bit slow going, I still enjoyed. I haven't got round to reading NEW YORK and not sure it will be on my list just yet as I've got lots to get through first. But I think he is a first rate storyteller. And I like the idea of writing each book around the history of one place.

I've not read any Rutherford, though I have Sarum and London sitting on my bookshelf. They are quite hefty books, so I think that has put me off a bit. Maybe I should just dive in and get started, as I do like historical fiction (for the most part). I'm a bit worried that it will be like James Michener, as I tried a couple of his books and really did not enjoy them at all.

I've not read any Rutherford, though I have Sarum and London sitting on my bookshelf. They are quite hefty books, so I think that has put me off a bit. Maybe I should just dive in and get started, as I do like historical fiction (for the most part). I'm a bit worried that it will be like James Michener, as I tried a couple of his books and really did not enjoy them at all.

Personally I think Rutherfurd is a better storyteller than James Michener - although I did rather like Hawaii.

• 1 month later...

It's worth reading those books. I think, no matter if the story is sometimes a bit slow going, it's genius to tell the history of a city, and the whole country, in the form of a novel.

• 2 weeks later...

It's worth reading those books. I think, no matter if the story is sometimes a bit slow going, it's genius to tell the history of a city, and the whole country, in the form of a novel.

I agree. I have most of his books on my bookshelf and have started and stopped them a few times. For me its just a matter of having the time to do it. Maybe over the winter months. I don't see me reading New York though, it just doesnt seem to "catch" me like his other works.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read a number of his books and though the series he wrote on Ireland was very good. OK, even better than very good. I haven't been doing much reading lately. I will have to get the book on New York. MY GD is going to college there at NYU (LOL, I know that doesn't have anything to do with Rutherfurd, but, it just "popped" into my mind, what is left of it). :)

Edited by muggle not

I've been to New York a couple of times - I love the place. This book is on my tbr, but due to it's size, I think it's one I need to hunker down with when I have a few days holiday. Glad to hear some positive reviews :)

I have read London and loved it, despite this I have New York and Sarum sat on my shelf and have never had the inclination to start them which I can't really explain :huh:

I've been to New York a couple of times - I love the place. This book is on my tbr, but due to it's size, I think it's one I need to hunker down with when I have a few days holiday. Glad to hear some positive reviews :)

LittleW and Ruth - Yes New york is a great place to visit. last Christmas my wife and I met our GD in NY and we went to Radio City Music Hall to see the Rockettes in the annual Christmas Show. and afterwards went to dinner. What a great time. Uh-Oh, I am off topic. I will definitely have to read Rutherfurd's book on NY.

having travelled there recently made the book so much more interesting. We stayed in a good budget hostel right on central park. I loved the book's description of how the Dakota hotel was considered uptown and so far from the city when it was built.

The book ended pefectly I think, bringing it all together. felt a bit like "the Metropolis Case" another New York set book I have reviewed, for anyone who can't get enough of the city....

Now I'm reading his Dublin saga, which starts a bit slow. Planning a trip to Dublin in october may inspire me to finish the read....