What Did You Have For Breakfast?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Breakfast is comfortably my favourite meal of the day! I could eulogise for hours about it (so be warned!)

During the week it's either toast with honey, or porridge with fruit - I usually have to be out of the house by 7. Toast has to be the bread from our local bakers, one of the best I've ever shopped in (Bondgate Bakery in Otley - they won the Radio Four food awards a few years ago), or baked ourselves - I'm really fussy about this!! At weekends, we'll often have boiled eggs or something cooked: a special treat is the bacon from the butchers in Ilkley who source their meat locally (we get almost all our meat there - did I say something about being fussy?!).

To drink, it has to be coffee - we're both addicted to the espresso machine (but drink it more dilute for breakfast). Weekend breakfasts will usually be more than a one cup meal. Again, we're really fussy about what coffee!

What do we do at breakfast. Well we talk, although we usually have Radio 4 on in the background. In fact that's pretty standard at all meals - at school we talk over lunch in the staffroom (anything other than work!), whilst breakfast and evening meal are the main social times for us as a family. When on my own I used to read a lot, but I found that I wasn't focusing enough on the food, and that was part of the recipe that led to a pretty substantial weight gain (lost again!).

It's very, very hard to say what my favourite breakfast is - we've had some pretty amazing ones. Last summer we had a succession of wonderful meals cycling along the Rhine, where we used to pack up the bikes (we camped a lot) and then find somewhere for breakfast - most bakeries served them. But perhaps the one that sticks the most was on our first day in the Netherlands, where the previous night it had heaved it down in the campsite, and it was still damp on the Sunday morning. The village tourist centre had a cafe attached where they served a special breakfast on Sundays: it had everything you could imagine and a bit more. For us the meal lasted a good two and a bit hours, and when we finally left, families were still sitting round and eating - it was obviously one of the great social occasions in the village. Needless to say we didn't need to eat again until the evening!!

But then there is something very special about boiled eggs, toast and coffee, or local bacon sandwiches, or simply really good toast, all washed down with real coffee. Breakfast really is the best meal of the day!

Edited by willoyd

• 1 month later...

Has to be porridge :)

Altho fave alltime has to be full Scottish - but guilt free when on holiday (cooked by someone else, washing up by someone else) and sets you up for a day walking with the pup!

• 1 month later...

Almost every day I have a bowl of cereal with vanilla soy milk. I vary the cereal weekly. Sometimes on weekends I may have scrambled eggs and toast. I only have coffee on weekends.

• 2 months later...

I love porrige cooked with milk with some raisins sprinkled in, maybe with a bit of brown sugar.

But these days I've been just having tea - waking up too late and it's almost lunch!! The harships of working from home ;)

Ever since we're on Atkins, we have either a large spoon of peanutbutter, or eggs and bacon/sausage, and cheese. This morning was a bit different, we found some 1 carb water crackers, and had some left over caviar. :D

Sometimes a piece of flat bread with cream cheese is good too.

Always tea for me, coffee for husband.

I've been alternating the past few weeks... either Kashi cereal with fruit and yogurt on the side or a hard-boiled egg and a couple slices of this yummy grain-y bread toasted and topped with hummus or babaghanoush :)

• 3 weeks later...

Some slices of home made bread topped with something very, very sweet (sugar sprinkles, chocolate sprinkles, jam or peanut butter) and some nice hot mug of black tea. Some bit of fruit if we have it will do just fine too.

I see a lot of cereal and other things eaten from a bowl between the comments. I never eat cereal or porrege for breakfast. :D