A good horror book/author

Hi, I'm currently into Crime/Mystery/Thriller and some of the books I've been reading recently have quick dark/scary themes... Could anyone recommend a good Horror book and/or author which they enjoyed reading?

TIA, David

Hi, I'm currently into Crime/Mystery/Thriller and some of the books I've been reading recently have quick dark/scary themes... Could anyone recommend a good Horror book and/or author which they enjoyed reading?

TIA, David

David

Browsing through this forum ((Horrow/Supernatural/Fantasy/Sci-Fi) should help. Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

My absolute favorite book by Stephen King (there are so many) is "Bag of Bones". If you've read any of his stuff, you'll love this story. I also love anything by John Saul, Dean Koontz, John Connolly, Robert McCammon, Michael Cricton.

I just thought of another one, Elizabeth Kostova's 'The Historian'. It's a bit of a mixture between horror and mystery and if your used to reading Stephen King, probably isn't going to seem very scary but its very well written and really keeps you gripped :)

• 6 months later...

Also another good one is Jack Ketchum,in my opinion his best book would be The Girl Next Door.

Just finished reading this, thought it was great! very suspenseful, read it all in one evening. Saw the film as well, very accurate adaptation. Just bought as well Off Season from eBay.

• 3 weeks later...

I am at the moment reading The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon and it is truly amazing...this is the third book I have read by Robert McCammon and I cannot rate him highly enough..he is a truly amazing story teller. The Wolf's Hour is some 700 page long and yet the pages fly past...I am just over the 500 page mark and have loved every word....do read some McCammon!

All of the above, King, Koontz, and I'm really stuck on the book I finished a few days ago, Wishbone,by Brooklyn Hudson. I really couldn't put it down. Liked it enough to contact the author on FB and let her know how I felt about the story. I really liked the Dexter book series too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have read The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom. I found this to be psychologically scary/eery and played on my mind a little, wouldn't recommend his following book 'The Haunting of James Hastings', I found that quite boring. Going to read 'The People Next Door' next just to give him benefit of doubt!

• 10 months later...

James Herbert is a great horror writer. BBC one made the secret of Crickley Hall into a mini series in 2012 and several other of his books have been adapted into movies. I'd recommend John Wyndham's books aswell, they're science fiction, but have a few horror elements to them.