The Declaration by Gemma Malley

The Declaration by Gemma Malley is a YA book about a future world where a drug has been discovered that can stop people aging, and subsequently dying. Other advances in medicine using stem cells mean that all diseases are curable. The problem is that with no-one dying, the worlds resources can't cope with any further increases in population, so everyone signs a Declaration to say they won't have children, or they can opt out and choose to live without the drug in order to have a child, but the rule is a life for a life. When people break the rules and illegally have children, these are called Surpluses, who are removed from the parents (who are sent to prison), brought up without the drug, and are trained to become the servants of the Legals. Anna is one of the Surpluses and lives in Grange Hall where she is in the final stages of her training to become a servant (a Pending) and is also a Prefect hoping to become a Valuable Asset in order to repay the debt of her parents sin for having her illegally.

This was a totally engrossing YA novel, and in a society not too far from our own, was a shocking look at a possible future for our world. The shocking conditions in which the Surpluses are kept, the way they are treated and the indoctrination of young minds and bodies is shocking at times. Food is energy, so is tasteless and cheap, hot water is a luxury, so they are only ever able to wash and bathe in cold water, and their classes include lessons on dosage of drugs for their employers. When Peter, a new Pending, is brought to Grange Hall by the Catchers, he challenges Anna to think of an alternative to a life of servitude to atone for the sins of her parents.

I thought it was a fantastic book. Although it is marketed as a YA book, it would easily work for adults as well, and has some themes that remind me of Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, but I engaged more with the characters in this, and in a way I found it more shocking than the sterile tone of Ishiguro's novel.

Great review Chesil, definitely my kind of read, I added it to my wishlist and I saw there is 2 more books in the series, do you think you will read them? :)

Ps ~ I need to get a kindle :giggle:

Edited by Weave

I really think it will be your kind of book, Weave! As I was reading it, I kept wondering if it was one you'd already read, but I didn't have internet access, so I couldn't check to see if it was on your reading lists. I will definitely be reading the other two in the series, but want to try and read some more books I already have on my TBR first. ;)

I really think it will be your kind of book, Weave! As I was reading it, I kept wondering if it was one you'd already read, but I didn't have internet access, so I couldn't check to see if it was on your reading lists. I will definitely be reading the other two in the series, but want to try and read some more books I already have on my TBR first. ;)

Hi Chesil, how are you? This is the first time I have heard of it, so thank you, I'm the same too, I am trying to get through my TBR pile, your review really sold me on the book. :)

• 2 months later...

After reading Weaves review I put this book on my wishlist and a couple of weeks ago bf surprised me with this book. I'm planning on reading it soon, probably during our vacation in august.

Happy reading :)

• 1 year later...

I read this one as I quite like dystopian novels. While I loved the story and the experiences of the times (thought the concept was brilliant), I would have preferred it to be written in a more adult way (but I suppose that defeats the purpose of it being a YA book). I don't know - I just lost count of the number of times Anna blushed because Peter may have possibly looked in her direction, and Peter's eyes were constantly 'flashing' whenever a cross word was uttered. Aside from those two little niggles, I enjoyed it a lot.