Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín

Hi Everyone, how are you all doing?, welcome to the reading circle for May 2011. :)

It is assumed that you have read the book before reading posts in this thread, as the discussion might give away crucial points, and the continuous use of spoiler tags might hinder fluent reading of posts ~ thank you.

Brooklyn by by Colm Tóibín

Synopsis ~

It is Ireland in the early 1950s and for Eilis Lacey, as for so many young Irish girls, opportunities are scarce. So when her sister arranges for her to emigrate to New York, Eilis knows she must go, leaving behind her family and her home for the first time.

Arriving in a crowded lodging house in Brooklyn, Eilis can only be reminded of what she has sacrificed. She is far from home – and homesick. And just as she takes tentative steps towards friendship, and perhaps something more, Eilis receives news which sends her back to Ireland. There she will be confronted by a terrible dilemma – a devastating choice between duty and one great love.

Some questions to discuss (please feel free to add questions) ~

1. What did you think of the main characters? How would you describe them?

2. Which parts of the book did you like?

3. Which parts of the book did you dislike?

4. What do you think of the relationships between the characters?

5. What did you learn about life in Ireland and Brooklyn in the 1960s?

6. What role did Father Flood pay in Eilis' life?

7. Why did Rose encouraged her younger sister to go to America?

8. Have you ever had to choose between two different worlds that you love?

9. What choice do you wish Eilis had made at the end of the story?

10. Did you enjoy reading the book? Do you think you will read any more books by Colm Tóibín?

I am looking forward to discussing 'Brooklyn' with you all. ~ Enjoy. :bookworm:

Edited by Weave

I read this last year and absolutely loved it. I'll kick off with my answer to the first question:

I think it's interesting what Tóibín does with the characters. Although it's not written as a first person narrative, Ellis is the main focus for the reader at all times, and I felt that he wrote her so strongly that I understood how she was feeling and what she was thinking as if the story was written with her voice narrating. Ellis is a product of her upbringing, in a time of hardship she has learned the importance of taking any opportunities that are on offer, but has a strong familial connection which makes the decision to go to America a difficult one for her. Once on the other side of the Atlantic, she gradually thrives and starts to build a new life for herself, and she becomes a strong, independent woman in a foreign environment so different from the harsh impoverished background she has come from. I think Ellis is a fully fleshed out, real person.

On the other hand, Tóibín takes a slightly distant approach to the other characters, viewing them from only Ellis's point of view, again as you would if this was written in first person. It made me think of them as I would people in real life, where we can never know exactly how they feel or think, no matter how close we are to them. Having said that, there was enough description of all the other characters that you were led to believe what sort of person they were, and what their motives for their actions were at any time, but the focus always was on Ellis.

I actually have this novel (I won a copy a while back) but haven't read it yet. I hope to get to it this month so I can join in the discussion! :)

I actually have this novel (I won a copy a while back) but haven't read it yet. I hope to get to it this month so I can join in the discussion! :)

Looking forward to reading your thoughts Kell :)

I read this last year and absolutely loved it. I'll kick off with my answer to the first question:

I think it's interesting what Tóibín does with the characters. Although it's not written as a first person narrative, Ellis is the main focus for the reader at all times, and I felt that he wrote her so strongly that I understood how she was feeling and what she was thinking as if the story was written with her voice narrating. Ellis is a product of her upbringing, in a time of hardship she has learned the importance of taking any opportunities that are on offer, but has a strong familial connection which makes the decision to go to America a difficult one for her. Once on the other side of the Atlantic, she gradually thrives and starts to build a new life for herself, and she becomes a strong, independent woman in a foreign environment so different from the harsh impoverished background she has come from. I think Ellis is a fully fleshed out, real person.

On the other hand, Tóibín takes a slightly distant approach to the other characters, viewing them from only Ellis's point of view, again as you would if this was written in first person. It made me think of them as I would people in real life, where we can never know exactly how they feel or think, no matter how close we are to them. Having said that, there was enough description of all the other characters that you were led to believe what sort of person they were, and what their motives for their actions were at any time, but the focus always was on Ellis.

Welcome Chesil, I am not reading what you said until I read the book but I just wanted to say, welcome :)

Edited by Weave

I liked the main characters - actually I think all the characters in the book are pretty agreeable and likeable in the own way - except for Miss Kelly of course. There is nothing anyone could like about her.

Rose was the wise and strong older sister - looking out for her siblings and her mother, and trying to do what's best for all of them. Father Flood is the perfect Christian priest, always ready to help, and always kind and wise. Eilis underwent a change from the beginning of the story to the end - she was an innocent girl at the beginning of the story, but a young woman with responsibilities at the end. I loved the way Toibin developed her character. Tony was the perfect Italian gentleman - although I would have wished to read a bit more of his thoughts and feelings - whatever we get to know about his is always through Eilis's thoughts and feelings.

I loved the part when Eilis went to Tony's house for the first time. I felt I could picture the scene as it unfolded. I also loved Eilis description of her meal - She was obviously describing Spaghetti bolognese and Cordon Bleu. I laughed when reading how she hated the espresso at the end of the meal :)

I'm just about to start reading 'Brooklyn', looking forward to joining the discussion. :)

I'm just about to start reading 'Brooklyn', looking forward to joining the discussion. :)

I finished 'Brooklyn' this morning and I enjoyed it. I will post my thoughts as soon as possible. :)

I know exactly what you mean Chesil :) Eilis's descriptions of the people around her were accurate but you did not know how they felt, etc, (its Eilis's perception, for example, Mrs Kehoe's distaste about Tony staying over, Eilis didn't hear it directly from her but from Miss McAdams and in a subtle way, Father Flood), although Eilis was ashamed about what had happened between her and Tony, she would have preferred to have been confronted with it, and she showed this in her observations but she also made it clear if confronted with it, she would probably deny it.)

I think Ellis is a fully fleshed out, real person.

I felt the same way too Chesil, she was affable, a young woman trying to find her way, someone you could be friends with. :)

Which parts of the book did you like?

I like the bit where there in boat and her roommate sneaked in to first-class but she got found out and was warned she been arreseted plsu they managed to bag the bathroom and the staff on cruise didn’t care.

The wicked side of me enjoyed that part too Lovesreading because it was unfair of the two older women in the next room to lock the adjoining bathroom when Eilis was so ill.

I also liked how Farther flood manged to get her a job in a massive shop and she and another lady were told to serve coloured people.

I found that considering the time the book was set in (1950s), Father Flood was not your a~typical coarse, sanctimonious, over~bearing priest, he was willing to help Eilis to broaden her horizons. The part where Eilis was asked to serve coloured ladies was nicely done, Eilis being young and not experienced, did not understand why there would be concerns, she accepted everyone for themselves, making eye contact,smiling, just being herself, I liked the part when she defended Bartocci's to Miss McAdams.

When she was straying she was beside other girls and when she got moved to the basement I was wondering if it was some trap thing but she loved the room because it suited her. In that place she got a man in to her bedroom and the gate locked because the landlady found out . ( can't remember her name)

I think in some way Mrs Kehoe was using the basement room to her advantage, so that at one point Eilis would 'return the favour' but Eilis knew that Mrs Kehoe had other motives and let her know that she would not be returning the favour. I agree Lovesreading that it worked out well for Eilis in the basement room, she had her own space.

When she was at home she found out that one of her mum pals ( I think) know her landlady and she wasn’t certain if her landlady had told her about what she did.

Miss Kelly had been told everything from Mrs Kehoe, which would upset Eilis but give her a wake up call about her husband back in Brooklyn and in a small way to put Eilis in her place, I felt that Eilis leaving Miss Kelly's shop offended Miss Kelly more than Eilis realised, also she would have noticed the change in Eilis, which leads back to Eilis being put in her place, which I thought was petty but some people get ideas in their head or they are just set in their ways, I think Miss Kelly was set in her ways.

I thought it was strange she got married first esp since her mother count be there but mabey he was right because mabey if she wasn’t married to him she won’t of went back.

I agree Lovesreading, Eilis needed to know that she had a reason to go back to Brooklyn and she knew her mother would not accept that she was going back for her boyfriend, it would be different if she was going back for her husband.

What choice do you wish Eilis had made at the end of the story? I thought she was going to stay at home and be with her mother but I was glad she went back.

It was the right decision for Eilis to return to Brooklyn, she did not have much left at home and it was difficult for her to leave her Mum but her Mum made the decision that Eilis would go, the first decision I felt that her Mum had made on her own for some time but the ending was left opened, that Eilis may at some point return home to Ireland with Tony.

Edited by Weave

I liked the main characters - actually I think all the characters in the book are pretty agreeable and likeable in the own way - except for Miss Kelly of course. There is nothing anyone could like about her.

Rose was the wise and strong older sister - looking out for her siblings and her mother, and trying to do what's best for all of them. Father Flood is the perfect Christian priest, always ready to help, and always kind and wise. Eilis underwent a change from the beginning of the story to the end - she was an innocent girl at the beginning of the story, but a young woman with responsibilities at the end. I loved the way Toibin developed her character. Tony was the perfect Italian gentleman - although I would have wished to read a bit more of his thoughts and feelings - whatever we get to know about his is always through Eilis's thoughts and feelings.

I liked the main characters too Maureen, they all had their little foibles, people being people. I could not stand Miss McAdams, I thought she was very small minded, she had thoughts on everyone and everyone has their own opinion but I got the impression that she just repeated what she heard. I thought Tony was very sweet and very suited to Eilis.

I loved the part when Eilis went to Tony's house for the first time. I felt I could picture the scene as it unfolded. I also loved Eilis description of her meal - She was obviously describing Spaghetti bolognese and Cordon Bleu. I laughed when reading how she hated the espresso at the end of the meal :)

That was a lovely part of the book, Eilis experiences new food, etc and having the familiarity of having a family dinner.

I could not stand Miss McAdams, I thought she was very small minded, she had thoughts on everyone and everyone has their own opinion but I got the impression that she just repeated what she heard.

Yes true, but she was a product of the time. There are people like that up to this day, mostly people who have never been in a relationship, who live alone, or are taking care of an older relative, and who perhaps do not lead the most exciting or fun life. Their only outlet is other people's lives and stories, and they percieve themselves as 'above all that'. They are not necessarily bad people, they just do not have a life of their own, so try to judge everyone else's.

Yes true, but she was a product of the time. There are people like that up to this day, mostly people who have never been in a relationship, who live alone, or are taking care of an older relative, and who perhaps do not lead the most exciting or fun life. Their only outlet is other people's lives and stories, and they percieve themselves as 'above all that'. They are not necessarily bad people, they just do not have a life of their own, so try to judge everyone else's.

I never thought it that way and you are right Maureen, I don't think that Miss McAdams was a bad person but she really grinded my gears. :)

I think I hated the ending the most. I disliked the fact that Eilis went back to Brooklyn, because of -

1.What people might think

2. It was expected of her

3. She felt it was her duty, and

4. Miss Kelly implied she would tell everyone she had married in America.

It was not a decision she took because she wanted to. That made me sad, although it is a fact of life that sometimes we have to take decisions because of one or more of these reasons.

I enjoyed the portrayals of all the main characters, no matter whether I liked them or not. As others have said, they were products of their time who we saw very much through Eilis's eyes. The only negative thing I sometimes felt was that they were so much of their time they could have slipped over into being caricatures, but the quality of the writing saved them from that.

It wasn't a book I was particularly looking forward to reading, but in the event I enjoyed most of it very much, and looked forward to learning what was coming next for the characters. I didn't enjoy it after Eilis returned to Ireland, though, when she just became mired in deceit. That didn't really ring true to me from the rest of the book, and make me begin to dislike the character of Eilis.

We were a bit limited in seeing the relationships between the characters only from Eilis's point of view, but I thought the relationships seemed pretty true to life.

The portrayals of life both in Ireland and Brooklyn in the 1960s were pretty much as I would have imagined them.

I thought he was portrayed in an "idea priest" sort of way, ready to go out of his way to help Eilis with any difficulty at all that she came across in her new life.

7. Why did Rose encourage her younger sister to go to America?

Rose knew that there were very limited opportunities for Eilis in Ireland, and if she also knew that she was ill then I think she wanted Eilis to build a life for herself rather than ending up trapped where she was and unable to leave the area due to being obliged to take care of her mother after Rose died.

No, not that I can think of.

I'm glad she returned to America. She had a good relationship with a good man, and it was time she went back and built on that before both her worlds came crashing down around her. (Although I felt she would have deserved to lose both lives - both men were good in their own way and to me, she treated them both abominably!) The only thing that I couldn't understand was why she never suggested her mother went back to America with her; earlier in the book it had been suggested that her mother couldn't survive on her own either emotionally or financially, and Eilis wanted to return to work after having children so her mother could have fulfilled a useful role enjoyed being part of that family life.

10. Did you enjoy reading the book? Do you think you will read any more books by Colm Tóibín?

I enjoyed Brooklyn much more than I thought I would, but it hasn't particularly made me want to read more books by the author.

Great discussion everyone, I am so sorry I have not been around, we are in the middle of decorating our flat :)

I think I hated the ending the most. I disliked the fact that Eilis went back to Brooklyn, because of -

1.What people might think

2. It was expected of her

3. She felt it was her duty, and

4. Miss Kelly implied she would tell everyone she had married in America.

It was not a decision she took because she wanted to. That made me sad, although it is a fact of life that sometimes we have to take decisions because of one or more of these reasons.

That's true Maureen, I was glad that in way that Eilis returned to Brooklyn but I did think it was very much a knee jerk reaction, I think if she had waited and talked to Tony about what happened between her and Jim, he may have understood how Eilis felt and give her more options as to what would happen to her Mum. :)

I enjoyed the portrayals of all the main characters, no matter whether I liked them or not. As others have said, they were products of their time who we saw very much through Eilis's eyes. The only negative thing I sometimes felt was that they were so much of their time they could have slipped over into being caricatures, but the quality of the writing saved them from that.

It wasn't a book I was particularly looking forward to reading, but in the event I enjoyed most of it very much, and looked forward to learning what was coming next for the characters. I didn't enjoy it after Eilis returned to Ireland, though, when she just became mired in deceit. That didn't really ring true to me from the rest of the book, and make me begin to dislike the character of Eilis.

We were a bit limited in seeing the relationships between the characters only from Eilis's point of view, but I thought the relationships seemed pretty true to life.

The portrayals of life both in Ireland and Brooklyn in the 1960s were pretty much as I would have imagined them.

I thought he was portrayed in an "idea priest" sort of way, ready to go out of his way to help Eilis with any difficulty at all that she came across in her new life.

7. Why did Rose encourage her younger sister to go to America?

Rose knew that there were very limited opportunities for Eilis in Ireland, and if she also knew that she was ill then I think she wanted Eilis to build a life for herself rather than ending up trapped where she was and unable to leave the area due to being obliged to take care of her mother after Rose died.

No, not that I can think of.

I'm glad she returned to America. She had a good relationship with a good man, and it was time she went back and built on that before both her worlds came crashing down around her. (Although I felt she would have deserved to lose both lives - both men were good in their own way and to me, she treated them both abominably!) The only thing that I couldn't understand was why she never suggested her mother went back to America with her; earlier in the book it had been suggested that her mother couldn't survive on her own either emotionally or financially, and Eilis wanted to return to work after having children so her mother could have fulfilled a useful role enjoyed being part of that family life.

I enjoyed Brooklyn much more than I thought I would, but it hasn't particularly made me want to read more books by the author.

Great points Ooshie, I think it would have been a good move if Eilis's Mum had gone to America but I got the impression that she would not have gone, as lonely as she would be, I don't think she would want to be away from her home (and also her husband and Rose) :)

1. What did you think of the main characters? How would you describe them? ~

I liked all of the main characters, as I mentioned before they had their own little foibles, likeable people and well thought out as characters, you did not get to see the characters fully because (as has been mentioned), the story is not narrated by Eilis but told from her point of view. Eilis was intelligent, good natured, hard working, ambitious and open~minded, a person you can identify with, at the beginning of the story, she lacks confidence and is very much in her comfort zone, she has her Mum and Rose and is happy to stay in Enniscorthy, get a job in book~keeping until she got married, its nice to see Eilis grow as a person, become more confident, she always had in her but by taking a chance by going to Brooklyn she flourished, she did change however, when she returned to Ireland, she gave the impression of Brooklyn being a dream~world, when the reality was, she had left her husband behind and she seemed to forget (allbeit very temporariliy) that she was married.

Rose was determined, intelligent, forthright, ambitious, the peace~keeper of the family, she was hard working, independent, she worked hard to get to the position she held in the company, she had a vast network of friends and was well thought of her, which showed so much after she had passed away.

Father Flood as I mentioned before was to me not your a~typical 1950s priest, he was not coarse or in anyway sanctimonious, he took people as he found them and welcomed them, while giving help and advice along the way, I liked how he went out of his way to help Eilis. He was also very community conscience and I liked that about him too, how he tried to help everyone and in his own quirky way find people to repent for their sins in a way that helped not only themselves but someone else, one example is when asks him where he got the money for her tuition and he replies “One of my parishioners paid' Father Flood said. 'He needed to do something for mankind...”, and he is, he is helping Eilis.

Tony was a lovely character, he seemed so genuine and knew what he wanted from life, he also had his dark moments, when Eilis tells him what the man in the bookshop told her about Mr Rosenblum, “When their coffee came he still did not speak but kept stirring the sugar, nodding his head sadly”, I was not sure whether he may have been in the war or affected by it in some way (the news, etc), for me its showed how sensitive he was and how naive Eilis (but I don't think Eilis knew much about the war). I knew that he would be a good partner for Eilis because as the story progresses worries about what will happen once she is married, I got the impression that Tony would support all of her decisions and she his, although at first she has some reservations , I think that would change.

2. Which parts of the book did you like? ~

I liked the part where she was describing Brooklyn, the sights, the sounds. It was nice to share Eilis's world. I liked the part when Eilis defended Bartocci's decision to serve coloured women, Eilis did not realise there would be a problem and even if she did know, I don't think it would have been a issue.

3. Which parts of the book did you dislike? ~

I disliked the part when she first met Jim because I felt so bad for Eilis because he was so rude to her. I also disliked the part when the other girls decided not to speak to Eilis for different reasons.

4. What do you think of the relationships between the characters? ~

I think the relationships between the characters were solid but one~sided because you only saw them from Eilis' point of view but you got the impression of how good the relationship were, especially between Eilis and Rose, I liked how the relationships were shown.

5. What did you learn about life in Ireland and Brooklyn in the 1950s? ~

I learned that life was difficult in Ireland in the 1950s, job wise, people were leaving to start new lives and that in Brooklyn, there was change happening in America following the war, everything changing.

6. What role did Father Flood pay in Eilis' life? ~

Father Flood played a positive role in Eilis's life, he helped her get to America and then helped her while she was in there in anyway he could without being judgemental, he always had advice for Eilis, in a way he was like family to Eilis.

7. Why did Rose encouraged her younger sister to go to America? ~

Rose saw an opportunity for Eilis and took it, she knew if Eilis did not take a chance, she would have stayed in Enniscorthy for the rest of her life, Rose she also knew she was ill, so she made sure that Eilis had a chance of a better life.

8. Have you ever had to choose between two different world that you love? ~

Yes and no but I made the right decision.

9. What choice do you wish Eilis had made at the end of the story? ~

I think Eilis made the right choice but it took her awhile to get there, it annoyed me that she was going out with Jim, while Tony was in Brooklyn, I have mentioned it before but it seemed like Eilis's saw Brooklyn while she was in Ireland as a dream-world and the longer she stayed away, the worst it got and it would be easier for her to remain in Ireland but once she told her mother about Tony, and before that her encounter with Miss Kelly, she felt guilty and quickly returned, she should have taken the time to think about things, how to help her mother, I was glad she went back to Brooklyn but I did not feel like she did in the best way.

10. Did you enjoy reading the book? Do you think you will read any more books by Colm Tóibín ~

I enjoyed 'Brooklyn' and some of Colm Tóibín other books sound interesting but I am not going to rush out and buy them for the time being.

The relationships are strange to describe, as they are always discussed from Eilis' point of view. What struck me most is that Eilis and her mother do not seem to have a very strong relationship, in my opinion. They were both closer to Rose, she was her mother's and her sister's confidant. Tony's and Eilis' relationship was one- sided for a long while, and I never had the impression Eilis was as fully comitted to it as Tony was. In fact, she allowed herself to be roped into another sort of relationship when back in Ireland - one which had she been free to persue it, could have given her much more perhaps.

I do not know much about either place, never having been to either. However Ireland seemed to be a place where it was quite hard to make a decent living, and Irish people where flocking to other places to find better opportunities. In fact there seemed to be a whole community of Irish living in Brooklyn, the head of which being a local priest for their spiritual needs.

The relationships are strange to describe, as they are always discussed from Eilis' point of view. What struck me most is that Eilis and her mother do not seem to have a very strong relationship, in my opinion. They were both closer to Rose, she was her mother's and her sister's confidant. Tony's and Eilis' relationship was one- sided for a long while, and I never had the impression Eilis was as fully comitted to it as Tony was. In fact, she allowed herself to be roped into another sort of relationship when back in Ireland - one which had she been free to persue it, could have given her much more perhaps.

I do not know much about either place, never having been to either. However Ireland seemed to be a place where it was quite hard to make a decent living, and Irish people where flocking to other places to find better opportunities. In fact there seemed to be a whole community of Irish living in Brooklyn, the head of which being a local priest for their spiritual needs.

Great points Maureen ~ as always :)

Father Flood was an important character in this novel. A lot of what happened, came about with his intervention. He was of great help to Eilis, he encouraged her to take the opportunity of building another life in a strange country, where he managed to procure lodgings and a job for her. He kept an eye on her, talked to her bosses, trying to get her a better job than the one she started with, checked out the people she was befriending - he took a great interest in Tony, and not only because Rose, Eilis' sister asked about him. He was also the person who patched things up between Eilis and the ogre :) when the latter suspected that she had let Tony in her room.

I think more than a spiritual Father to Eilis, Father Flood was also a replacement father to her - she found in him a source of comfort, help, and understanding, and a friend when she needed one.

Father Flood was an important character in this novel. A lot of what happened, came about with his intervention. He was of great help to Eilis, he encouraged her to take the opportunity of building another life in a strange country, where he managed to procure lodgings and a job for her. He kept an eye on her, talked to her bosses, trying to get her a better job than the one she started with, checked out the people she was befriending - he took a great interest in Tony, and not only because Rose, Eilis' sister asked about him. He was also the person who patched things up between Eilis and the ogre :) when the latter suspected that she had let Tony in her room.

I think more than a spiritual Father to Eilis, Father Flood was also a replacement father to her - she found in him a source of comfort, help, and understanding, and a friend when she needed one.

Definitely Maureen, great point, in a lot of ways she needed a father figure and Father Flood was a great character. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some more discussion questions ~

1. Can you relate to the kind of women Eilis is? Why do you think she takes such a passive role in her own life? Why does she go to America? Do you think she really wanted to go?

2. Father Flood states “Parts of Brooklyn are just like Ireland. They’re full of Irish”. How similar is Eilis's hometown, Enniscorthy to her new one, Brooklyn. Do you think her prospects for a future are better in America than they would have been in Ireland?

3. Discuss how you think she adapts to her new home in America. Describe her relationship with her landlady. What was Father Flood’s role in her life?

4. Does Tony’s family share similar traits to Eilis’s family in Ireland?

5. Discuss why after returning to Ireland Eilis responds as she does to her Irish admirer. Do you think she acted out of character?

6. Discuss the factors that act as a catalyst for Eilis’s emotional growth. Would she be a much different person if she stayed in Ireland?

7. What did you learn about the immigrant’s experience?

:)

Edited by Weave