Buried Alive - Liza Marklund

Nali

This is a review of the book "Buried Alive" by Liza Marklund, in my opinion one of Swedens best writers.

Buried Alive tells the story about Mia, a woman working with refugees in Sweden. She meets "the man with the black eyes" and falls in love with him.

As the story unravels it turns out that "the man with the black eyes" is an abusive boyfriend and he threatens Mia's life.

As a result of this Mia has to go into hiding or risk losing her life.

The book follows her fight for survival, her struggle to remain undetected by her abuser and her efforts to create a new life, with a new man despite all she has been through.

I have read this book several times, and I find it chilling and gripping every time. It's one of those books that is very hard to put down in the evenings, because all you want to do is find out what happens next.

The books is written as "a true story" - this has in resent times been questioned by the piblic, newspapers and critics, but it has been established that the book is in fact based on actual events, and should perhaps be labled as "based on a true story" rather than "a true story" due to the many changes that had to be made to protect Mia's real idenity and location.

Without giving too much away, this book shines a light on the struggles any persecuted person might face in todays world, where it really isnt that hard to find someone.

It also directs some well aimed kicks at the goverment and it's way of handleing a situation like the one Mia in the book is facing.

Provide your reactions to the book

I think this is a good read for anyone who finds social critisism interesting.

On another level this book can be read purly as fiction and then it would be aimed at persons who find thrillers, personal struggles and also love stories in the face of the impossible interesting.

For those who read this one and want to know what happens to Mia, there is a sequel called "Asylum Granted" - in the same style as "Buried Alive" but to make too many comments on this book would take away the suspense of the first one.

*as a sidenote, I had a quick look at amazon.com and can't find the book in english there, only swedish and german, but I'm sure if you want to read this novel you can find it in a bookstore or have them order it for you!