A Discovery Of Witches ~by~ Deborah Harkness

Charm

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got round to buying this and reading it. I'm in the same boat as Chesil - Not quite as enamoured of Matthew as everyone else.

Just started this book today. Not my usual gendre so I am looking forward to it, especially after the good words here. Thanks for the tip everyone.

I hope you're both enjoying TDOW! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I may be in the minority here but I really did not enjoy this book as much as I anticipated. This is not my usual genre but I thought it may be a welcomed change. The beginning was very encouraging and it felt as if it was going to develop into a good yarn. As the character of Diana developed, I began to dislike her. She is terminally tired throughout the novel, which halted the story line in its development. I kept saying to myself "Come on. Stop napping and eating and get on with it." Though I did like the character of Matthew (he kept you guessing whether he was a good guy or not), he kept saying "We will talk about it later" over and over again. Again, restraining the development of the story. I guess I expected a little more action. Finally, close to the end it gets interesting and then it ends. What!!!! I guess the author has the sequel coming. I will probably not read it as I did not anticipate this book would be a romance novel - a little to "sweet" and "lovie dovie" for my liking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have just finished this book too and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is not my usual type of book but with all of the good reviews that I have heard, not just on here but by people I know, I though that I just had to give it a chance. I got the book and the minute I started reading it I could not put it down - I found I was making time to just read which for me is a sign of an excellent book!

I am very interested in how the characyers are going to develop in the next book as I think that there are still many things that we do not know about them.

I would definitely recommend this book.

• 2 months later...

Shadow of Night will be released in the UK on 10th July 2012! Here is the Amazon synopsis -

Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown.

Shortly after Diana Bishop and Matthew Clairmont timewalk to London, 1590, they discover that the past may not provide a safe haven after all. Reclaiming his former identity as poet and spy Matthew Roydon, the vampire falls back in step with a group of radicals known as the School of Night who share dangerous ideas about God, science, and man. Many of his friends are unruly daemons - the creative minds of the age who walk the fine line between genius and madness - including playwright Christopher Marlowe and mathematician Thomas Harriot. Matthew, himself, is expected to continue to spy for Queen Elizabeth, which puts him in close contact with London's cutthroat underworld.

Together, Matthew and Diana scour the bookstalls and alchemical laboratories of London where they follow the elusive trail of Ashmole 782 - and search for the witch who will teach Diana to control her powers.

• 5 years later...

I don't think I've seen this particular author in any thread so I decided to to start my own. 

I'm in a Facebook book club dedicated to the All Souls Trilogy authored by Deb Harkness. Its about a witch and vampire who fall in love against the edicts of the Congregation. The Congregation is made up of witches, vampires and daemons as a way to keep them in line. They can't involve themselves in politics, religion, etc. And they definitely cannot fall in love or mate with other species (vampires can't love witches, etc). Anyway I'm on my third read and I love it like I did the first time. Anyone else read the book? What did you think?

https://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Witches-Novel-Souls-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B004DI7HZ6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510517451&sr=8-2&keywords=debra+harkness+all+souls+trilogy

• 1 month later...

I absolutely loved this trilogy and can't wait for the TV series! The actress that will play Diana looks just how I pictured her.

If anyone can recommend other books that have similar themes (and are also smart and well-written like this trilogy), I would love to know!

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, doris.ehcd said:

I absolutely loved this trilogy and can't wait for the TV series! The actress that will play Diana looks just how I pictured her.

If anyone can recommend other books that have similar themes (and are also smart and well-written like this trilogy), I would love to know!

scroll down towards the end of this topic and read about "Wicked Witches of the Midwest":

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14764-cozy-mysteries/&page=2

Waiting for reviews is not a bad thing to do :). I own the first two books but will probably wait with purchasing any more until I've read at least book 1, except if I find ie. book 3 on a deal / on sale somewhere some time.

Goodreads lists the new book as 'All Souls Universe 1'. I wonder how it's related to the other three books, but I don't want to read the synopsis in case it spoils the first 3 books.

7 hours ago, Athena said:

Waiting for reviews is not a bad thing to do :). I own the first two books but will probably wait with purchasing any more until I've read at least book 1, except if I find ie. book 3 on a deal / on sale somewhere some time.

Goodreads lists the new book as 'All Souls Universe 1'. I wonder how it's related to the other three books, but I don't want to read the synopsis in case it spoils the first 3 books.

I read the synopsis and can report that`s it`s a ` sidequel` , exploring the back story of someone in the books. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have to admit I'm a bit of a dither about this series, I dived into "A Discovery of W" and if it had stuck with just witches and vampires may have sailed on through with no problems. Then daemons were added, romance came along, a hidden world was revealed - we were asked to accept a lot in the first book.

Maybe that was the problem? I know I love the "Twilight" saga so the fantasy angle isn't the issue.

The books are long, and while the author deserves credit for the full value she delivers in each, maybe a series of 4 may have helped in the "digestion" process for overwhelmed readers such as myself?

As it is I've passed the book on to a pal, but maybe if I spot a copy in a charity shop sometime I'll grab it, and give Diana and Matthew and their adventures another try.

Happy :readingtwo: All :smile: