A Discovery Of Witches ~by~ Deborah Harkness

Charm

A Discovery Of Witches ~by~ Deborah Harkness

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstone's:

An epic, richly inventive, historically sweeping, magical romance. When historian Diana Bishop opens an alchemical manuscript in the Bodleian Library, it's an unwelcome intrusion of magic into her carefully ordered life. Though Diana is a witch of impeccable lineage, the violent death of her parents while she was still a child convinced her that human fear is more potent than any witchcraft. Now Diana has unwittingly exposed herself to a world she's kept at bay for years; one of powerful witches, creative, destructive daemons and long-lived vampires. Sensing the significance of Diana's discovery, the creatures gather in Oxford, among them the enigmatic Matthew Clairmont, a vampire genticist. Diana is inexplicably drawn to Matthew and, in a shadowy world of half-truths and old enmities, ties herself to him without fully understanding the ancient line they are crossing. As they begin to unlock the secrets of the manuscript and their feelings for each other deepen, so the fragile balance of peace unravels...

I didn't know what I was really expecting when I bought this book, in fact the sheer size of it's hugh hardback form was rather daunting, even though the synopsis was very tempting. However, as soon as I started it I knew I was in for a treat, and what a treat it was, I loved it! It is written in a way that doesn't bore you with facts and dates about the necessary history element, on the contrary, it was fascinating to read. The magical elements were woven into the historical facts in a believable (well as believeable as magic is) and often funny way and I found myself laughing out loud several times. It wasn't action packed per say, it was an easy going tale, although it moved along nicely and kept me completely engrossed.

The characters were wonderful, (I am now totally in love with Matthew Clairmont) and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about how the relationship between Matthew and Diana progressed and how it affected the storyline. It did become rather far fetched, even for a fantasy book, towards the end, but I don't care, this is my favourite read of the year so far and would now be among my top ten favourite books. A Discovery Of Witches is the first in a trilogy and I will most definitely be getting the next two in the series.

10/10

Edited by Charm

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review Charm, I really like the sound of 'A Discovery Of Witches', I added it to my wishlist last night :)

Great review Charm, I really like the sound of 'A Discovery Of Witches', I added it to my wishlist last night :)

Excellent choice Weave! I really think you'll like it ;) Come back here and write what you think won't you? I can't wait to read your review on it :D

I have just finished reading this book, and was sad when it ended,

I must admit I didnt know this was a trilogy, so when it ended I actually said out loud I hope there is another book because I want to know what happens next.

This was one of my favourite books this year after James Patterson.

Oh boy, I think I might have to add this to my wishlist. It'll be long til I'll get to reading it though, me thinks, because have so many other books in line :blush: Thanks for the review, and good job getting some bread on Harkness's table, I bet loads of people will want to buy the book after reading your review :D

I have just finished reading this book, and was sad when it ended,

I must admit I didnt know this was a trilogy, so when it ended I actually said out loud I hope there is another book because I want to know what happens next.

This was one of my favourite books this year after James Patterson.

Oh thank goodness someone feels the same as I do (isn't Matthew Clairmont just wonderful *sigh*), I'm so pleased it's your favourite book this year too. Although I find I like a lot of the same stuff as a good many people on here, so I shouldn't really be surprised! :lol: Sorry Shirley, bad new is - the sequel isn't out until sometime 2012 :wibbly:

Oh boy, I think I might have to add this to my wishlist. It'll be long til I'll get to reading it though, me thinks, because have so many other books in line :blush: Thanks for the review, and good job getting some bread on Harkness's table, I bet loads of people will want to buy the book after reading your review :D

A most excellent review, Charm, as usual :D. Can't wait to get my hands on this book!

Aw shucks, you two :blush: I wouldn't call them reviews as such, I just write what I think and can remember about them, they're in no way as structured and good as many other peoples' reviews on here. But thank you both :hug:

Its arriving tommorow......I am so excited :D

Yay! Whenareyoureadingit? :exc: Whenareyoureadingit? :exc:

Edited by Charm

Excellent choice Weave! I really think you'll like it ;) Come back here and write what you think won't you? I can't wait to read your review on it :D

Will do :D

Oh I didn't know it was part of a trilogy must get it started soon then.

You must! Come back here and let us know what you think ;)

Tommorow hopefully....can't wait I need another vampire to join the club of all the other ones I fancy :D

Oh you won't just fancy him, you'll fall in love with him! :giggle:

I just ordered my copy. :)

Yay! Nice one hunny :D

I really, really enjoyed this and I was waiting to see if a thread came up on this one!!! :D

I'm really looking forward to the next one. To be honest I'm not surprised it's taking so long to write thee next one have you seen the size of this book?!?

300 pages in and I am loving it ........:smile2:

:yahoo: Woohoo! That's what I like to hear. Post your review in here as well as your thread won't you? :D:boogie:

I really, really enjoyed this and I was waiting to see if a thread came up on this one!!! :D

I'm really looking forward to the next one. To be honest I'm not surprised it's taking so long to write thee next one have you seen the size of this book?!?

Yay! Another Matthew fan then? :giggle2: I don't mind the wait for the next one, as long as it's a big as the first one! ;)

I finished it this afternoon. I absolutely loved it.

I loved the world created, where witches, daemons and vampires live amongst humans. I loved the historical aspects that drew the story together for both the lead character, Diana, and the reader, mixed up with science and alchemy, creating a rich, expansive story, that took its time to reveal itself. I loved how each characters introduction made you think they were going to be a certain stereotype, and then each gradually revealed themselves to be much deeper and complex than at first glance. I loved the strength of the female characters, obviously Diana as the heroine, but all the others from Sarah and Em to Ysabeau and Marthe. I loved the heart stopping romance. I love the cliffhanger at the end which means I can't wait to read the next part.

But, unlike everyone else, it seems, I'm not 100% sure about Matthew Clairmont.

Have we really seen the true man yet? He's not my idea of a knight in shining armour, to be honest, and I don't think I trust him yet.

I'm happy to be convinced otherwise though.

Thanks Charm, it was a gem! :smile2:

I hope you're wrong and that he's still the perfect knight in shining armour!

I finished it this afternoon. I absolutely loved it.

I loved the world created, where witches, daemons and vampires live amongst humans. I loved the historical aspects that drew the story together for both the lead character, Diana, and the reader, mixed up with science and alchemy, creating a rich, expansive story, that took its time to reveal itself. I loved how each characters introduction made you think they were going to be a certain stereotype, and then each gradually revealed themselves to be much deeper and complex than at first glance. I loved the strength of the female characters, obviously Diana as the heroine, but all the others from Sarah and Em to Ysabeau and Marthe. I loved the heart stopping romance. I love the cliffhanger at the end which means I can't wait to read the next part.

But, unlike everyone else, it seems, I'm not 100% sure about Matthew Clairmont.

Have we really seen the true man yet? He's not my idea of a knight in shining armour, to be honest, and I don't think I trust him yet.

I'm happy to be convinced otherwise though.

Thanks Charm, it was a gem! :smile2:

Oh my! I am so pleased you enjoyed it so much :D You loved all the things I loved about it too, only you said it much better :lol:

I do agree that we have so much more to see about Matthew, although

I hope you're wrong and he still stays the luscious knight in shining armour he does so well. I do think that he will come close to killing Diana at some stage, through some mindless addiction to her blood or something, however, I think 'love will conquer all'!

Charm, does it feel a bit like your child's done well in school and is popular amongst his/her friends? :D I'm chuffed for you, it's so nice to read a fantastic book, recommend it wholeheartedly to others and then see that they really loved it, too! :friends3: