Guy Gavriel Kay

As usual, I seem to pick authors nobody else I know has read. Well, in Kay's case that's not strictly true - I know one person who's read one of his novels (Tigana) and loaned it to me, which is now causing me to start this thread. So blame my friend :lol:

Anyhoo ...

Guy Gavriel Kay is a Canadian author who has written something like ten novels. I'm only on my second of his books but I'm quickly becoming a fan.

For those who want to pigeonhole authors, he writes historical fantasy, taking real-world history and depositing it into fantasy settings created by Kay based on various cultures at various points in time. Hmm, I really haven't described that very well :rolleyes::lol:

Anyway, some of his books/settings include:

Tigana - Medieval Italy

The Last Light of the Sun - the Vikings

Under Heaven - Tang Dynasty China

The Lions of Al-Rassan - Medieval Spain

The Sarantine Mosaic - Byzantium

Anyone else here read his books?

The Lions of Al-Rassan excerpt

Tigana excerpt

Yay! Guy Gavriel Kay! <3.

You've missed out on the excellent trilogy he wrote called "The Fionavar Tapestry". The three books are The summer tree, the wandering fire and the darkest road. I reccommend this to EVERYONE, because it is so great. Some of the best fantasy I've read.

Yay! Guy Gavriel Kay! <3.

You've missed out on the excellent trilogy he wrote called "The Fionavar Tapestry". The three books are The summer tree, the wandering fire and the darkest road. I reccommend this to EVERYONE, because it is so great. Some of the best fantasy I've read.

That's good to know! They were kind of last on my list because they sounded like more conventional fantasy, but I'll definitely give them a look when I've finished the ones I've just bought :D

Following on from our GRRM comments, in a way, but one thing I like is that most of Kay's books are one-offs. No need to wait years for that next book to find out what happens. :lol:

Although ... (Tigana spoiler follows)

I would love to ask him exactly which fate he had in mind for each character when they saw the riselka right at the end of Tigana. What a way to end a book. The sod :lol:

I read The Fionavar Tapestry years ago, and loved it, they were three of my favourite books for a long time. I thought I had read at least one other of his books, but I can't call a title to mind at the moment. Good to know that his other writing is well worth a try, too :)

I'd highly recommend giving Tigana a try, Ooshie, especially as it was re-issued (finally!) in the UK in February. Here's the blurb for it:

"Tigana is a novel and a world to lose yourself in ... Powerful and moving." —Toronto Star

Tigana is the celebrated epic of a beleaguered country struggling to be free. It is the tale of a people so cursed by the dark sorceries of the tyrant king Brandin that even the very name of their once beautiful home cannot be spoken or remembered. And yet, years after their homeland's devastation, a handful of men and women set in motion a dangerous crusade—to overthrow their conquerors and bring back into the world the lost brightness of an obliterated name: Tigana.

Often described as the greatest single-volume fantasy novel ever written, Tigana brilliantly uses elements of fantasy to explore powerful themes of lost culture and identity.

http://www.guygavrielkay.ca/books.html

:)

• 2 months later...

A customer recommended Tigana to me a couple of months ago, so my boss ordered in a couple of copies. I am a fairly slow reader and after seeing the size of it I have been a bit loathe to start it, I already have a few hefty sized novels on my TBR pile, is it worth adding this one? I have never read any of his books before.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Guy Gavriel Kay is one of my favorite author. He is one of that few author I like everythings about, the plot, personage, writting, storie...

The first book I've read was "The Lions of Al-Rassan" which is also my favorite one. So far I've read (in order of preference) :

The Lions of Al-Rassan

The Sarantine Mosaic

The Last Light of the Sun

Tigana

The Fionavar Tapestry

I've enjoyed each one, though the Fionavar Tapestry is the most different one from all is book (maybe because that's the first). I'm still looking for Ysabel and A Song for Arbonne, because in France the editions are sold out T_T, did you enjoy Isabel and A Song for Arbonne as much as the others ? I'm considering reading them in English (But I'm a little bit afraid it's to much for me ><).

I'm going re-read the The Lions of Al-Rassan <3

did you enjoy Isabel and A Song for Arbonne as much as the others ?

I thought A Song for Arbonne was wonderful. Having read Sarantine Mosaic since then, I think I'd go along with your top two, with ASfA and Tigana not far behind. I've got Last Light of the Sun and Under Heaven on the shelf still to read :smile:

Ok, you win me over. I'm going to read them in English o/ (Ok... Maybe I wanted to be be convinced :angel_not: )

You are brave Tair. I tried to read a book in French once (Le Ciel Est A Toi by Michel Bertolino) but it was way too hard for me. Mind you my French is not very good. I am OK with Tin Tin.

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested, GGK's wonderful, marvellous, magnificent The Lions of Al-Rassan is re-issued in paperback in the UK this week, first time it's been available here for a long time (other than as an ebook). Just got my copy through to replace the imported one :D

• 4 weeks later...

From GGK's website:

"Guy Gavriel Kay's new novel is once more inspired by Chinese history, this time during the Song Dynasty, almost four centuries after the story told in his bestselling Under Heaven. The dazzling elements of the Song - cultural brilliance, vicious political rivalries, warfare against nomadic peoples, court mandarins versus the military - are rich ground for Kay's unique blending of fantasy and themes of history. Vivid among a large cast, a young man with a dream of regaining the empire's lost 'rivers and mountains' and a brilliant woman trying to shape a space for herself outside the 'inner quarters', where women are expected to live out their lives, confront the challenges and dangers of a world in turmoil. The Song Dynasty's legacy is prominent in the way Westerners imagine Chinese history to this day and Kay weaves a story that captivates on both an epic scale and within the intimate lives of his characters.

GGK announces: "We've agreed to terms with Roc in New York, my current publisher, on the sale of the in-progress novel to them. (It has already been sold to Viking in Canada.) All going well, it will be out next year, details and dates to be released later."

http://www.brightweavings.com/news/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...