Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson

Janet

016-2011-Mar-23-MajorPettigrewsLastStand.jpg

"]Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson

The ‘blurb’

When Major Pettigrew, a retired British army major in a small English village, embarks on an unexpected friendship with the widowed Mrs Ali, who runs the local shop, trouble erupts to disturb the bucolic serenity of the village and of the Major’s carefully regimented life.

As the Major and Mrs Ali discover just how much they have in common, including an educated background and a shared love of books, they must struggle to understand what it means to belong and how far the obligations of family and tradition can be set aside for personal freedom. Meanwhile, the village itself, lost in its petty prejudices and traditions, may not see its own destruction coming.

When Major Pettigrew’s brother dies, the death hits him harder than he imagined and comfort comes from an unexpected source in Mrs Ali, proprietor of the local village stores. He quickly forms a friendship with her, much to the consternation of his selfish son, Roger, Mrs Ali’s nephew and the snobbish villagers, who do not approve of this meeting of cultures.

But the Major and Mrs Ali have far more in common than people imagine (even if Major Pettigrew was born in Lahore, Pakistan, and Mrs Ali was born in Cambridge!) and they enjoy spending time together.

I loved this book! I thought that a character called Major Pettigrew might be old-fashioned and conservative, but he was actually far from that! I loved his relationship with Mrs Ali and was rooting for him all the way through the book! Although on the outside they are very different, they have the fact that they are both widowed and a shared love of literature in common.

I loved the writing, and such gems as: ‘It sounds quite ridiculous,’ said Roger, speaking in such an imperious tone that the major wondered how he would react to a swift butt on the shins with a rake handle had me chuckling throughout.

This book has been described as twee, so I think anyone who enjoyed Mr Rosenbaum’s List would enjoy it. I just thought it was good fun and utterly charming!

It sounds like a lovely book Janet. I had been toying with this when I saw it on Amazon, I think I will addd to the ever increasing list. Thanks. :)

Edited by SueK

Ooh, this one seems to be right up my alley, I love a good read about a little gossipy community and people who go against the grain. I'm adding this to my wishlist!

Hehe, and I now know the word 'twee' and since I really enjoyed Mr Rosenblum's list, I'm all the more sure I will enjoy this one.

• 4 weeks later...

My mum is reading this at the moment, and says it's fabulous. She's said that she will pass her copy to me when she's finished it, so hopefully I'll get round to it soon. It does sound like a lovely read.

I just realised I thought the author of this novel was Natasha Solomons, the author of Mr Rosenblum's List. :blush: Well I still like the sound of it so doesn't really matter if it isn't by her.

I completely understand that. :yes: I think the author names and titles are just similar enough to cause confusion. I have similar problems sometimes. :smile2:

I completely understand that. :yes: I think the author names and titles are just similar enough to cause confusion. I have similar problems sometimes. :smile2:

That, a small town environment and the word 'twee' :giggle: However, now that I think about it, there has been a mention on the forum of another book by Solomons, so maybe that also added to the case. I'll have to see what the other novel was.