Bookcrossing

Janet

Having had a conversation with someone on here about Bookcrossing (sorry, it's slipped my mind who it was), I said that I'd registered and caught one, but that I hadn't manged to release any because I hate parting with books!

Well, I've taken the plunge, and found four. One of which I've read, and the other three that I'm unlikely to read.

I have registered them, and also found the one I caught so that I can release it back into the wild.

I'm off to Stratford-Upon-Avon tomorrow, so I'm going to find somewhere to release them then!

The bcid numbers are as follows:

898-4765761

546-3319308

147-4765785

193-4765792

051-4765805

If you haven't used this site before, You can enter the number here (where it says bcid) to see how it works!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I bookcross, though only with the books I swap - I automatically go along & register them before posting. Of course, I don't do that if I'm selling them... I've managed to catch a couple of travelling books too - that's how I found my way to the book crossing site inthe first place. It's a great way to keep track of where your books end up (providning that the recipients actually do register that they've caught them on the site) - all over the world!

I do. I think it more fun that give the book away to the charity shop. I am still new to it because i only released three. One end up in Italy and the other two i didn't get any news. I started it when i found one on the ferry instead of sending it to lost property i keep it to myself to read it. I just find a group on yahoo about kent book crossing. Hopefully we will meet soon, chat and exchange books. I have a few on my pile for them!!

Marie

I released one in a garden centre on Friday - I shoved it inside a dovecote, so hopefully the staff won't find and remove it! :readingtwo: I forgot to 'liberate' the other three I took with me, so will find somewhere to release them this week.

The Bookcrossing site said there was one in Robert Dyas Ironmongers in Stratford-Upon-Avon (there was a 'photo of it, propped up in front of some rat poison), but when I went in, it had gone. I guess the staff removed it.

I've done bookcrossing for awhile now about a year, I've released 80+ books, in 2 countries, one of the first people I met over here was a fellow bookcrosser I ran into at a book club meeting and today I had my first journal entry from a finder of one of my books :readingtwo:

I think it's interesting when people do make entries.

I've released half a dozen books "in to the wild" but none of them have been caught. I have "caught" a couple and re-released them, the first one I didn't bother registering, I just moved it and left it somewhere completely different. That one did get caught, the lady was new to book crossing, and sadly it doesn't look like she ever did anything with it afterwards.

Having had a conversation with someone on here about Bookcrossing (sorry, it's slipped my mind who it was), I said that I'd registered and caught one, but that I hadn't manged to release any because I hate parting with books!

Hi - it was me! Definately want to have a try at this - keep looking thoughtfully at my bookcase and think I've found one to release - one that I didn't enjoy hence the ability to 'let go'. We did find one in our library last year which was what brought the whole idea to my attention. We left it where it was and it did disappear - I think I noted the number down so I could try and track it.

Ah yes - sorry I forgot you! :readingtwo:

As I forgot to release 3 books when I was away at the weekend, I need to find somewhere local to take them. I want to try to put them somewhere where they won't be moved by staff (eg if I left them in a shop). I thought maybe somewhere like a doctor's waiting room would be good, but I'm not bold enough to walk in and leave one if I haven't gone there for an appointment!

I might leave one on the Park and Ride bus if I go into Bath tomorrow!

i'v been wondering if i should register books i put on RISI on there?

i am a member and do receive alerts, but nothing in my town.

i work in a college, and also at an outreach centre for it, and so can release books at work easily. seems nobody else here does it though *shrug*

That's a good idea, V - all the books that I swap get registered, though only a few get logged at the other end (which is a shame, but there you go). I like being able to see where they end up...

That's a good idea, V - all the books that I swap get registered, though only a few get logged at the other end (which is a shame, but there you go). I like being able to see where they end up...

weird really, as you'd expect the two to go hand-in-hand.

I know, it's strange - but Dale can't complain if I'm not BUYING them - if I find a book on the bus or an a park bench with no obvious owner, I'm not going to leave it there - the chances are it'll just get put in a bin or lost in a mess of other lost jumble - I'd rather make sure it got a good home where it'd get read. Of course, if I found it in a place where it's obvious that someone may have just accidentally left it (say, in the staff restaurant), I'd send out a message saying I'd found a book in such & such a place, & would whoever owns it like to come & pick it up? but if nobody then claimed it, i'd class it as fair game, read it & then pass it around - it's what books are made for. :readingtwo:

whats bookcrossing?

It's a system whereby when you've finished with a book, you register it here - registering a book gives it a unique number. You print off labels and write this unique number on it, and stick it into the front of the book.

You then 'liberate' the book somewhere - a park bench (in nice weather!), a cinema, a restaurant, a charity shop...

Then, you go back to the site, with the unique number, and put details of where the book is.

The idea is that someone will find your book - go to the site and log where they've found it. Read it, then, using it's unique already-registered number, they leave it somewhere - put details of where they've left it - and the cycle starts again.

• 2 weeks later...