Books that you can't read in the dark!?

Are there books on your shelf that you just can't read in the dark! When I was younger my mum used to laugh as I could never read my Goosebump books in the night as I got incredibly scared. Anyone still can't read some books after dark or is it just me?

Edited by Christie

ha ha ha ha

It doesn't matter what time of day I read something creepy/scarey I will instantly think about it as soon as night falls.

I quite often find I can't walk up or down the stairs and the landing without the lights on as you never know who could be lurking. :lurker:

Just remembered after reading Silence of the Lambs that man was right behind me as soon as I turned the lights out for weeks - oh God I hope he isn't there again tonight now I have remembered about him :(

I sometimes have problems with true crime books. When I was reading Ann Rule's book A Stranger Beside me, which is about Ted Bundy, I had a hard time going to sleep at night. I imagined Ted had somehow come to life again and he was in my apartment. I had a few very paranoid nights.

The same thing happened very recently when I was reading a true crime book called Killer Clown, a book about John Wayne Gacy. I would actually have to leave the night light on... :blush:

I don't remember having such hard time with any fictional books.

Edit: I didn't have any problems with reading those true crime books in the dark, as long as I was reading I was okay, but the minute I stopped and was left alone in the dark, I would get pretty scared.

Edited by frankie

I did get rather creeped out reading Dracula on a wet and windy winter's night a few years back.

By the same token, though, I once read the opening chapter of The Day of the Triffids at night in a completely quiet house and it really heightened the sense of dread before Bill Mason uncovered his eyes - very good!

The dark by itself isn't enough to spook me, I have to be alone in the house too. I never could read horror when I lived alone (not before bed anyway) but now I'm living with my fiance I'm well into my horror/ghostly stuff.

I'm terrible with films too. I can't watch scary films on my own. I am very easily spooked :lurker:

I try to keep away from books I know are going to scare me - I'm a big fraidy cat :giggle2:

I remember when I was younger I watched the Neverending story and that wolf creature gave me the heebee jeebees, I had to sleep with the bedroom door shut. Heaven help me if I had to pee at night it was a sprint across the hallway without looking to the kitchen (you know because that's where it was waiting and if you looked it would chase you), I still get freaked out thinking about how long that tormented me.

Edited by page turner

I remember when I was younger I watched the Neverending story and that wolf creature gave me the heebee jeebees, I had to sleep with the bedroom door shut. Heaven help me if I had to pee at night it was a sprint across the hallway without looking to the kitchen (you know because that's where it was waiting and if you looked it would chase you), I still get freaked out thinking about how long that tormented me.

giggle.gif

I can't even remember a wolf creature (maybe it terrified me so much I blocked it from my mind completely). At least it wasn't your bed, I guess!

"And then there were none" by Agatha Christie. Somehow it creeps me out and gives me nightmares if I read just before bedtime.

I don't like watching shows like X-files and Millennium right before bedtime either. Most horror is fine though, just some exceptions..... ;)

Hardly any books affect me that way - but I do remember when I read American Psycho and I found it so disturbing that I just couldn't read it at night. I was living on my own then though, and would tend to imagine I could hear noises in the house and all sorts. Now that I don't live alone, it probably wouldn't bother me.

I don't usually get bothered by films either, but I do remember being spooked out by The Sixth Sense, for some reason.

• 1 month later...