Sign in to follow this  
Train of Thought

Sad/Thought Provoking/Romantic Books

I'm looking for something that really makes you feel and dwell on the book.

I just finished reading "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" and enjoyed that. I'm looking for books along the lines of Anne Tyler writing or something like "Of Human Bondage" which isn't so much a love story, but a story about love. I've read all of Austen/Bronte's books too. Preferably something well written and not too generic.

Thanks

Linda Gillard writes thought provoking books that stay with you, and are definitely stories about love (among other things).

Emotional Geology

Star Gazing

A Lifetime Burning

House Of Silence (this one on Kindle only)

Kazuo Ishiguro is another author whose writes books that stay with you. The two I have read are quiet penetrating pieces; 'Never Let Me Go' and 'The Remains Of The Day'.

I think The History of Love by Nicole Krauss would fit the bill. I loved reading it, and although it's been a good five years since I read it, it stills stays with me. I'm about the embark on a re-read for my book group.

If you enjoyed the boy in the striped pyjamas I'd definitely recommend The Book Theif by Markus Zusak.

Linda Gillard writes thought provoking books that stay with you, and are definitely stories about love (among other things).

Emotional Geology

Star Gazing

A Lifetime Burning

House Of Silence (this one on Kindle only)

Kazuo Ishiguro is another author whose writes books that stay with you. The two I have read are quiet penetrating pieces; 'Never Let Me Go' and 'The Remains Of The Day'.

I'll second LG's books :)

I have a couple of suggestions.

The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

This fits all of the criteria. Probably my favourite book of all time. If you haven't read it yet, I strongly recommend this one.

A Crack in Forever by Jeannie Brewer

Such a compelling love story.

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Both are on my top 5 books. Absolutely brilliant :)